JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow - this cop is a clown of the highest order. "I'll shoot you in the back!" - what a man. Then he can't decide where he wants the driver - first he says up against the car, a breath later he says on the ground - make your mind up, jack. The driver did absolutely nothing threatening - this cop overreacted , way, way way over reacted. To arrest the guy for an accidental exposure was even more jackish, and was done solely to cover the deputy's own self (and because he's obviously got something against armed citizens).

Bottom line - the driver needs to sue the agency and the deputy needs to be sweeping the floor at some nasty fast food restaurant.

The blog post was 21 january, but when did this happen? I haven't been able to find anything on this arrest or what has happened since the arrest. Looks like a BS arrest to me...

I think that the officer over reacted a little bit. But at the same time the guy jumped out of his vehicle and was fumbling around in the area where his weapon was. Just watching his body movement even made me suspicious. I was told by my CHL instructor that out of professional courtesy you should stay seated in your vehicle and keep your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. And when they approach your window tell them that you have a CHL and tell them if you are carrying or not. I understand that you do not legally need to tell them that, but it beats getting drug out of your car in front of your family when you accidentally brandish your weapon. Plus whenever you get pulled over its all about attitude, if you are being rude to the officer I guarantee you that you will be driving away with a ticket if not in the back seat of their squad car. That's just my opinion and what I would do if I were to get pulled over while carrying. You may choose to do otherwise and let me know how it goes.

Another thing about telling them that you have a CHL is that they know that you aren't a criminal or have any misdemeanors due to the extensive background check that you have to go through. It just gives them a little peace of mind.

This cop didn't cop his attitude though until he found out the guy was armed. He wasn't fumbling around where his gun was either - he was putting his wallet away after giving his ID to the cop. The guy's shirt doesn't even expose the gun until he reaches in to get his registration at the cop's request. He never made a move for the gun. The cop could've handled this WAY differently. He didn't. He chose to be an bubblegum about it. And when he found out the guy had a license to carry, the cop was "I don't give a damn" - this cop plainly doesn't like armed citizens, and he is so conditioned against it (likely personal bias, and not an institutional bias, given this is Florida and not New York) that he's willing to murder a man who did NOTHING to warrant it, or even the threat of it.

I think that the officer over reacted a little bit. But at the same time the guy jumped out of his vehicle and was fumbling around in the area where his weapon was. Just watching his body movement even made me suspicious.

He got out, which I agree is not smart. He seemed to be having a very normal conversation with the cop. He was getting the information the cop wanted and did not appear to have suspicious body language to me.

I was told by my CHL instructor that out of professional courtesy you should stay seated in your vehicle and keep your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. And when they approach your window tell them that you have a CHL and tell them if you are carrying or not. I understand that you do not legally need to tell them that,

That is an opinion and many do it and many do not.

but it beats getting drug out of your car in front of your family when you accidentally brandish your weapon.

Why are you getting drug out of your car? Also you might look up the term "brandishing" as simply exposing your firearm is NOT brandishing. What if you were open carrying in the first place?

Plus whenever you get pulled over its all about attitude,

I FULLY agree

if you are being rude to the officer I guarantee you that you will be driving away with a ticket if not in the back seat of their squad car.

Well you have to have a reason to receive a ticket or "back seat". They do not have an attitude ticket.

That's just my opinion and what I would do if I were to get pulled over while carrying. You may choose to do otherwise and let me know how it goes.

I do get pulled over many times a year. I have a lead foot and do a lot of driving. I have a clean record. I NEVER volunteer that I am carrying or that I have a permit because I am not going to be the one to bring a gun into a situation that does not involve one. If the cop asks I am more then happy to talk about it. The other time I will state I have a gun is if it is in a place I need to reach into. One time I had my insurance card in my bag which also had a gun. I told the cop and he asked me not to get it and we went on about our business with no problem.

Another thing about telling them that you have a CHL is that they know that you aren't a criminal or have any misdemeanors due to the extensive background check that you have to go through. It just gives them a little peace of mind.

Depends on the LEO you encounter. Sometimes what should be a simple traffic stop ends up being more because now you brought a gun into the situation. We were out of state so were not able to CC so we were OC. Got pulled over for not "displaying my license plate properly". Of course he came up and said why he was pulling us over, and asked where we were heading. I answered him and since the guns were visible I said "obviously we are carrying". He said yeah and simply asked us to keep our hands off them. Then he decided he wanted to "run" the guns so we passed them out to him. All was very professional, we had a chat about riding the motorcycles I had in the back. Again no problems with the stop but we were there a long time, longer then any of the other times I have been pulled over even when I have gotten a ticket.

Welcome-to-Citrus-County-Florida.jpg

I like the chamber of commerce style picture and motto that site used. Catchy.:s0155:

I have to disagree with a lot of people, first the guy should have stayed in the van, if the cop asked him to step out he should have then informed the cop that he had a cc license and was carrying giving the officer a warning there was a gun involved (common courtesy which goes a long way.)

I have to disagree with a lot of people, first the guy should have stayed in the van, if the cop asked him to step out he should have then informed the cop that he had a cc license and was carrying giving the officer a warning there was a gun involved (common courtesy which goes a long way.)

Not screaming obscenities and threatening to shoot someone in the back goes a long way too.

Seeing a holstered gun because a shirt comes up is not "brandishing" a weapon. he is not excited or angered or waving it or threatening with it. The law says brandish which has a very clear cut meaning very close to threading. If you were to expose the gun to try to influence someone, that would be considered brandishing. not accidentally having it show beneath your shirt. This cop must have had a personal agenda

Hopefully that stupid cop is now an ex-cop. Here in Oregon cops aren't allowed to talk like that in public much less threaten to kill people. That CCW guy should sue the crap out of the police department and that cop.

Cop is a total a**hat. Accusing the guy of brandishing is flat wrong and the video plainly shows it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top