Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fixing the Glock Pignose

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 10, 2015.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Everyone knows about the "Glock pignose" effect. The fact that their molding process, combined with the type of polymer they use, causes the dust covers to curl up slightly as they cool. It has ZERO effect on how the gun works. It is purely aesthetic. Most people do not even notice it and most that do don't mind it...but there are some of us that hate it. I'm one of the ones that hate it so I am fixing it on my new Glock 20.

As you can see, this gun has the typical pig nose.
    IMG_20150108_172839_zpsc15af6d9.jpg

All I do is dip the front of the frame in very hot water (I use a measuring cup and take it out of the microwave as soon as it boils). I let the guns cover stay in the hot water for about 15 seconds and then insert Q-tips to hold it straight as it cools.
    IMG_20150110_050324_zpsd6bbfc06.jpg

Then VIOLA! (pronounced vie-O-laa) No more pignose.
    IMG_20150110_050734_zpsf17487cb.jpg

Most people ask if this fix is permanent. Well, nothing is permanent, but I have never had one re-curl on me yet. Of course I do not shoot competition or anything. I do have a friend that does who fixes his and he claims they stay fixed.

As for it hurting the polymer, it will not. Don't listen to internet dumbasses. Ask an actual chemical engineer or call Glock.

So if the pignose bothers you, fix it. It only takes about 2 minutes of work and a couple hours of waiting and it is done.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    808hondacrguy and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  2. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Nice easy fix! Looks great! Nice job! That cosmetic issue would drive me NUTS!

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I take it you don't use a heat gun like you did in your earlier videos? Are you sticking just the lower in the water, or are you submerging the assembled front end of the gun in the water?

4. PlayboyPenguin

Just the frame...and I did it this way because I can't find my heat gun.

etrain16 likes this.
  5. etrain16

Well if this works, it seems far less likely to overheat the frame, which could be a potential with the heat gun. I've got one I need to fix (thanks to you, I notice it on EVERY Glock now). I'll try this method first.

6. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Don't tell me. You have lost TWO heat guns already???

7. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My uncle and I haven't lost any heat guns but we have burned out about 3 when working with kydex lol. If i was to ever own a Glock i think i would also like to fix the pig nose.

8. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

Your awesome man.

9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

PB with all your cudtom glocks have you done any custom trigger work?

I was reading a glock thread of some guys that do some "custom" work. Not sure I'd try what they were doing. But with all the work your doing with your glocks I'd be interested to see or hear what your doing.

10. footballplaya98311

footballplaya98311 Bremerton Member

Roughly how many rounds does it take for this to happen? I have a 21 Gen 4 and don't notice it. I've shot 500 rounds threw it.

11. PlayboyPenguin

It comes from the factory that way.

12. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Maybe my eyes are bad. I own lots of Glock. I've never seen this before. Interesting though. Now I will have to further inspect.

13. etrain16

The ones I've owned all had this 'condition'. I tried Playboy's solution on my G21sf, it worked great and only took a few moments.