Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

fixed sights

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by redmistnmysight, May 20, 2009.

1. redmistnmysight

redmistnmysight ..... Member

I feel dumb asking but i couldnt get my answer online and im new to this. I have a older gun with fixed sights (part of the slide), the dots are fading and i would like to replace them with night sights. can this be done? what do you guys recommend? thanks in advance for the info.

2. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

what kind of gun?

3. redmistnmysight

W. german sig 228

4. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Don't laugh, but before you make a big investment, glob some typewriter correction fluid (White-Out) on the front sight and around the rear notch. You get extremely bright white-outline sights, easily touched-up, or easily removed with any gun cleaning solvent. Correction fluid is basically cellulose fibers and each fiber is a light-pipe, so it is VERY bright especially in low light. Just try it, then laugh........................elsullo ;)

5. redmistnmysight

wow, sounds interesting. Ill try that when i have a chance.

6. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

I don't know much about the p228 but are the existing sights in a dovetailed groove?

7. redmistnmysight

No. they were forged (?) with the slide. the slide and the optics are one piece.

8. redmistnmysight

let me change that. The rear sight fits into the dove tail, the muzzle sight is forged with the slide. any ideas or info? thanks.

9. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

theres a slide on ar15 without fixed sights
    you could just replace the slide :)

10. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

Have a gunsmith cut a dove tail and refinish to your tastes. It may or may not be cheaper than a new slide though.

11. inheritor

inheritor burlington illinois Member

i did laugh , but thats rather ingeinus and sounds like it works cudos to you my friend:thumbup:

12. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

Yah it's worth a laugh too from the elegant and inexpensive solution. Touch it up whenever needed. Cleans up easily. But, most importantly, Those sights just stand out so that I can let my subconscious mind find them as I hold the target in sight. Righton Elsulo:buttrock: