JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks, great read! I've been to a few presentations about what cascadia could be, but this is by far the best information i've had so far. Though much of this may not happen at all, it's great to understand the various issues that could come about. I understand things could also be much worse than what is depicted. Some of which I hadn't ever considered, and if I had, not this far in depth. Mother nature can be a B! The writer paints an incredible picture, it's been some time since I actually wanted to keep reading more and more. Thanks again

Very interesting article. Something missing tho- the crime which will inevitably follow a disaster.. We all would consider such possibilities... no mobs, no criminal gangs or bubblegums just acting out their true natures, no desperate people acting the wolf to stay alive and care for their families. Also nothing about disposing of the dead, and the mass die-off of the injured and ill.. Good shtf article tho. Something to give thought to no matter where we live..

Last Edited:
I can tell you one thing, I went through that 6.8 quake we had back in 2001 and you know what we did?
Ran like hell!
I was working in an office building in downtown Seattle and it was real sudden.
I was looking at a co-worker, heading back to my station and all of sudden, everything goes blurry,
We stood there and looked at each other like, 'what the heck?....", then it got bad.
I was actually pushed over for a second when the hard shaking started and I immediately dived under the desk.
It seemed to last for hours, but in reality it was like....maybe....20 seconds? 30 seconds?
As soon as the shaking stopped, no one said a word, we all got up, looked around and RAN out the door, down the stairs (I was on the 5th floor) and outside to what we thought was safety.
Ended up, we all got a big chewing out from our boss because we were supposed to hang out until given the all clear over the intercom.
They were mostly afraid of glass falling down from the one of the floors above us. Even the splash of broken glass from it hitting the pavement can mame or even kill.

A couple of Interesting side-bars....I worked as a security guard in that same building 10 years before and I knew, for a fact, it was only built to withstand a 6.1 quake.
However, that building, in fact all of the downtown office buildings, got "seismic upgrades" about 6 months prior to the quake.
I thought that was real "funny", since back then, SEISMOLOGIST STATED THERE WAS NO PREDICTING WHEN AN EARTHQUAKE WILL HAPPEN....yet all the boys with the big money got a warning 6 months to a year in advance.

...uh huh....o_O

Something missing tho- the crime which will inevitably follow a disaster....

The article was about the 1st 5 minutes. All that concomitant riot and affray are indeed inevitable, but probably won't kick off until more than 5 minutes have elapsed from onset of the event.
That said, I sure wouldn't want to set off for home without a piece on my person.

I was working in an office building in downtown Seattle
I was on the 4th Ave bridge by Union Station watching all the older building smoke stack tumble over, that was one for the record books. Cell service was lost or unavailable for 6-8 hours as I recall also. I watched the 4-5 cranes where Qwest feild was being built, thinking are they coming down.

The author obviously has not read up on the firsthand accounts (or chose to ignore them) of those living in and dealing with The aftermath of Katrina in N.O. And the surrounding areas.

But nice to read nonetheless

Last Edited:

The article was about the 1st 5 minutes. All that concomitant riot and affray are indeed inevitable, but probably won't kick off until more than 5 minutes have elapsed from onset of the event.
That said, I sure wouldn't want to set off for home without a piece on my person.

If they reminded people what happened after Hurricane Katrina, lots of people would buy guns. They dont want that.

I was on the 4th Ave bridge by Union Station watching all the older building smoke stack tumble over, that was one for the record books. Cell service was lost or unavailable for 6-8 hours as I recall also. I watched the 4-5 cranes where Qwest feild was being built, thinking are they coming down.
Amazing story!
The coolest account of that quake was one I was told by a girl who worked in the galley on one of the Bainbridge boats back then.
She was on the gangplank, getting onto the boat, when a crew member told her to stop.
Because that plank is suspended, she never felt the quake, but was looking around because something was obviously going on.
She looked over at the parking area for the Bainbridge traffic and she said she saw the front half of the parking lot lift up and move over top of the back half of that lot, for a second, then return to its original location and slam back down in place.
For years afterwards, there was a narrow, winding patch of asphalt that stretched almost all the way across that part of the lot, that was the patch that repaired the "rip" in that lot left by the quake.
Wild day, for sure....did you ever buy a newspaper or a T-shirt from that day?
Vendors were EVERYWHERE!

Dean

Last Edited:

Buried in that article (1 of 5) is a link to part 2. Readers are led in that same way to parts 3, 4, & 5 encompassing a couple weeks of events and activities. There is some brief mention that commercial looting will happen, but that's apparently inconsequential in the big picture. Otherwise, the assumption seems to be that everyone would stay relatively civilized even though tired, scared, and desperately hungry & dehydrated.

I didn't find even a hint that there might be violent depredation by roving gangs of um, less genteel residents. I am so relieved.

I work most often in an area that, according to the article, will get inundated by a landslide from the east side of the west hills. Not sure about that as I think the author was referring to more downtown than where I work (on the northern edge of the industrial district. Just the same, hard to predict what will happen to the building I work in. I am not sure, but I think it is on fill dirt, although over 100 years old. The building was built to be a multi-story warehouse with 4' thick columns every 20', so I don't think it will pancake, but it might topple if the ground slides away from underneath it.

For a while I have also been working on an island that has a fault line in a much newer office building on an island with all kinds of dangers on it.

Either way, if the earthquake hits while I am at work, I am screwed blue.

I was amused by the article. Looking at the Willamette-Columbia fault escarpment, it tells me that the earthquakes here are violent ones. I think the author paints a much softer picture than what will really hit.
If you look at the reports for the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake in Japan (Fukushima), the general area experienced 3g's of acceleration and 7 feet of lateral ground travel. Stuff be shaking!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top