JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a great deal (i.e. free) on an extended thumb safety for my 1911, which is awesome. But now I need to fit it.

Any suggestions for resources on how specifically to fit a safety on a 1911? I've compared it to the stock safety, and I can see where the two vary, but wasn't sure if just matching that fit was sufficient. Or what to look for when I'm fitting it.

Take out the grip safety, and you'll be able to see how your original thumb safety works with the other internal parts. You'll see how they work together, and what to file. I use a #4 swiss pillar, take a few swipes and test fit. No that difficult, but don't over do it.
You'll see the thumb safety blocks the sear movement. So after you get it fitted, place the thumb safety to the on (up) position, and pull the trigger. There should no zero movement of the sear/hammer group. If there is, you have an unsafe gun, and you'll need to start over with a new part.

I can walk you thru the process if need be.

So far, so good. Initially it wouldn't even fit because it wouldn't fit around the sear. I've filed it enough to get it to fit and the trigger is still locked when I have it up, but when I push the safety down it seems to catch a bit and isn't a smooth disengage.

I'll keep working with it. Just need to be more patient I guess. Thanks.

Some will go in just enough to make a mark on the area that needs to be fitted/filed. Just go slow, and check fit often...sounds like you're doing well.

If it's not disengaging well, you're really close, so be extra careful and slow now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top