JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A guy I work with bought an H&K .45 around 5 years ago to use for home defense and occasional C.C.. This is his ONLY firearm. We were giving him a hard time about spending $800 on his first handgun because he is always bragging about having to have the best of everything. He said he only bought the H&K because it was the only gun that felt right in his large hands.
Here's the kicker, he has NEVER shot the gun in the 5 years he's owned it. My thinking was, I'd prefer a gun that doesn't fit my hand at all (that I am familiar with), and the knowledge that it actually WORKS over a top of the line gun that fits well and I've never fired. How do you feel about this? Would you rather trust your live(and your family's lives) with an H&K .45 that fits your hand and you've never fired or would you take a Taurus 9mm but you've used and practiced with?

A guy I work with bought an H&K .45 around 5 years ago to use for home defense and occasional C.C.. This is his ONLY firearm. We were giving him a hard time about spending $800 on his first handgun because he is always bragging about having to have the best of everything. He said he only bought the H&K because it was the only gun that felt right in his large hands.
Here's the kicker, he has NEVER shot the gun in the 5 years he's owned it. My thinking was, I'd prefer a gun that doesn't fit my hand at all (that I am familiar with), and the knowledge that it actually WORKS over a top of the line gun that fits well and I've never fired. How do you feel about this? Would you rather trust your live(and your family's lives) with an H&K .45 that fits your hand and you've never fired or would you take a Taurus 9mm but you've used and practiced with?

Well, let me just say that owning a firearm for self defense and have never fired it, is beyond idiotic. But... Id go with the HK, as long as it you bought it brand new and has never been fired. The way I see it, if you know guns, and are familiar with your gun, you should have no problem with the fact you have never fired it. With that said, would you trust a your brand new HK will work when you need it to? I would.

I would go for practice and comfort. A friend of mine has all the nice 1911 Kimbers and they are nice. The problem is I have short thumb and have a hard time actuating the slide lock. While the glocks and sigs are fine. Just because its more money does not mean it will be the best for you, and it certainly isn't for me.

Your friend's HK is like the majority of them--discussed much and shot little, and never in anger.:p

Seriously though, no sidearm in my household gets "relied upon" until it has thrown a minimum of 250 flawless rounds downrange and has been matched with the JHP load it was the most accurate with that meets my bullet weight preference.

If the Taurus were the Beretta 92 clone, no problem. Other Tauri would be a hard choice over even an unfired HK45 because some of them will fail you on the very next round they touch off.

Don't go with the lowest of the low bidders and do put any firearm through its paces regardless of cost or reputation. Yours could be the lemon that escaped.

It's not an either-or situation. Ideally, the pistol should fit the shooter's hand well and the shooter should practice with it. Shooting is a perishable skill. When a person goes without practice for a long time, their speed, accuracy, and gun handling abilities all diminish.

Many people who don't put in range time think they will rise to the occasion but, in reality, they will fail to their lowest level of training.

You know what the funny thing is (actually, it is not so funny), I have a friend at work who is probably worst than your friend.

This guy bought a Sig several years ago for home defense. He cannot tell me the caliber, let alone the model (he's gone froma 226, to a 229; last time he said it was a 239). I've invited him many, many times to TCGC, but he "never has time". I've offered him to at least let me check his gun, and even fire a couple hundred rounds (ammo on me), and he would not trust me with his gun. Wife doesn't know squat about it. Since he is obviously, in my mind, not a responsible gun owner, I've offered several times to buy the gun from him to no avail. I pray he will never need it. He'll probably shoot his foot, or something worst.

I am familiar with people with this mind set. Good luck!!

The best thing you can do is get your friend to the range. He has to shoot his firearm to understand how it works if needed. If you like the guy bug him on a regular basis to go shoot his pistol. Don't take no for an answer, keep on him until he goes. He might not know where to go shoot, might not feel right going on his own but if you press him you will get him to the range. That is what a good friend would do.

He bought a good pistol for all the right reasons, just doesn't know how to follow up that good intention with the next step needed. I have a neighbor that showed me a pistol he owned for five years and never shot. I told him it was no better than a hammer until he shot it. He had no idea where to go to shoot or what to do when he got there. I pressed him to go to the range with me, he was a bit of a hard sell but finally he went. He did pretty good the first time and the pistol seemed to fit him well. We went several time together and latter he went on his own.

Lots of people buy firearm for home defense to protect those close to them. Many have no idea where they can practice or even how to start. With luck they have a friend that has some expereince that will help them out. Sounds like that is where your friend is, so help him out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top