JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Chinook bend resort is what it is.
It's a fishing camp they have a boat launch and RV hook ups small tackle shop basically nothing fancy pretty much everyone who is there is fishing .
They also have a dock so you don't have to pull your boat every day.

You eat them?

Recipe for mallard ducks:
Shear off head and feet
Dunk duck in scalding water
Shuck down and pull pin feathers
Rinse cavity (duck)
Place duck on non-stick baking dish
Rub duck with dry Russian salad dressing
Place clay brick on tray/dish with duck
Preheat oven too 450F
Place dish with brick/duck in oven
Cook dish/duck/brick for 1hr
Remove dish/duck/brick
Throw away duck and eat brick
I have tried a few few different things I will try more this year .
It's a tryout this and that thing lol .
I breast them out and try different things.save the rest of the duck for crab bait .
I have a friend at work that his father in-law likes them so I give him a few every once in a while.its gamie that's for sure.
Smoker .wine orange juice bacon lol I will try anything once.maybe twice

Like he said above when the tide is really moving in and out most people ancor and quick fish .and trolling in between the tides or trolling on the small tides .

^^^This^^^

I've never fished there but you are describing some of the upper estuary fishing on S Oregon coastal rivers. In the bay sections I like trolling anchovy rig or *weightless saltwater spinners behind banana weights out of a driftboat with 5hp motor. In the upper sections I like to anchor and plunk anchovy or salmon roe. A bit farther up yet I like to row a driftboat and back bounce roe in the deeper holes. (Never needed a big dance floor cept for when I was two-steppin or 10 step. Only problem I had was finding room in the fish box for my wife's catch and time available before/after handling her fish to bait and cast my own dang rod.)

*Kinda like these only I built my own. Large blade (#5), large (3/0, 4/0) treble hooks, usually just yellow or orange beads and surgical tubing (like second pic) not so much squid skirts.

s-l1600.jpg
saltwater spinner.png

I have tried a few few different things I will try more this year .
It's a tryout this and that thing lol .
I breast them out and try different things.save the rest of the duck for crab bait .
I have a friend at work that his father in-law likes them so I give him a few every once in a while.its gamie that's for sure.
Smoker .wine orange juice bacon lol I will try anything once.maybe twice

I started breasting them shortly after I took up duck hunting out on the Salton Sea. Gamy for sure. I prefered smoked, orange juice, and the dry Russion salad dressing. But I started giving them away when my wife said she wouldn't eat any regardless how I cooked them. It was difficult to find people to give them to. So eventually I quit shooting them because I won't kill game animals that I don't eat. I do find I like to watch them flare and land tho... we have some refuges nearby.

Also, I'm fortunate to live in an area that has good upland bird hunting. The problem, besides not being able to walk around, is the high cost of ODFW licensing and Fed stamps on a shrinking value fixed income. I used to enjoy sitting in elk camp with my rifle (since I can't walk the woods anymore), but now the high costs have taken even that. People say to get a disabled hunting permit but if I have no money why bother?

Yep downrigger set up but on the river you can't use a down riggers . well you can but it it will get really exspesive when you start hanging up and cutting down rigger wire lol .
We use a leader in front of the flasher and behind because where the main line connect we put a sliding 5 or 6 oz lead ball to get it down .and you have to figure out how many pulls gets you to the bottom .THEN REALLY WATCH THE DEPTH .it goes up and down .fast in some places.
From six feet to 30 feet

Well I did not mean to insinuate that I was using downriggers in the river because I don't. I use the same setup as you, a 9 inch leader in front of the Flasher to the main line and a sliding sinker rig.
We have anywhere from a 5 to 9 foot tidal exchange and the Chehalis river so I fish the tides. I don't get there at 0 dark thirty when there's a later tide, it's a waste of time and fuel.;)

And you will get hung up on the bottom every one does . I only lost one whole set up .in six days pretty good.lol flasher lead lure .but I did lose two times just the spinner.there are logs rocks and all kinds of stuff on the bottom.

It spins a little bit different from a hot spot.

I am not turned on by the latest and greatest gear that only catches fisherman most times more often than not.
I fish naked sometimes( no flasher just a herring)...:p:p:p

^^^This^^^

I've never fished there but you are describing some of the upper estuary fishing on S Oregon coastal rivers. In the bay sections I like trolling anchovy rig or *weightless saltwater spinners behind banana weights out of a driftboat with 5hp motor. In the upper sections I like to anchor and plunk anchovy or salmon roe. A bit farther up yet I like to row a driftboat and back bounce roe in the deeper holes. (Never needed a big dance floor cept for when I was two-steppin or 10 step. Only problem I had was finding room in the fish box for my wife's catch and time available before/after handling her fish to bait and cast my own dang rod.)

*Kinda like these only I built my own. Large blade (#5), large (3/0, 4/0) treble hooks, usually just yellow or orange beads and surgical tubing (like second pic) not so much squid skirts.

View attachment 508114
View attachment 508108

I started breasting them shortly after I took up duck hunting out on the Salton Sea. Gamy for sure. I prefered smoked, orange juice, and the dry Russion salad dressing. But I started giving them away when my wife said she wouldn't eat any regardless how I cooked them. It was difficult to find people to give them to. So eventually I quit shooting them because I won't kill game animals that I don't eat. I do find I like to watch them flare and land tho... we have some refuges nearby.

Also, I'm fortunate to live in an area that has good upland bird hunting. The problem, besides not being able to walk around, is the high cost of ODFW licensing and Fed stamps on a shrinking value fixed income. I used to enjoy sitting in elk camp with my rifle (since I can't walk the woods anymore), but now the high costs have taken even that. People say to get a disabled hunting permit but if I have no money why bother?
Yep spinnees like those in different colors behind the flasher or you can go with out the flasher .
I try different stuff Im not scared .
If what I got don't work I try something else.
I see guys drag the same stuff every time all day because they caught a fish last week with it lol

Yep spinnees like those in different colors behind the flasher or you can go with out the flasher .
I try different stuff Im not scared .
If what I got don't work I try something else.
I see guys drag the same stuff every time all day because they caught a fish last week with it lol

Well if it works then do it to it.;)
I'm a bait fisherman in the estuaries but up anove tidewater look out for the bent metal (spoons-spinners) & cookies & spun n glos......... with eggs or shrimp.....:D

I'm a bait fisherman in the estuaries but up anove tidewater look out for the bent metal (spoons-spinners) & cookies & spun n glos......... with eggs or shrimp.....:D
We used to use cut plug haring a lot up here but In the summer we get lots of dog fish and they love to go after your bait

So I spent six days fishing the Siletz river last week .
It was a good relaxing vacation but no fish .
Only a few fish caught when I was there .
I got a nice coho but had to release it . can't keep COHO on the SILETZ RIVER.
Also have a CHINOOK on but was released by accedent veia the net .
Lol got it to the boat but it got out of the net and left the hook in the net.

Times like that are when you turn the Siletz River into the Schlitz (malt liquor) River..... :D

Never had any luck with spoons but one of my fishin buds catches EVERYTHING on Thomas spoons. I guess you gotta know how to do it before you do it.

Bait works anywhere.

Caught my biggest chinook ever on a #5 Jed Davis spinner, silver blade with red stripe and red tubing over the treble shank... in the estuary on the Winchuck. (edit: From the bank.)

A ton of steelhead and salmon upriver on Hot Shots (edit: backtrolling. edit edit: from a driftboat or standing out in the river).

Never caught a salmon on a corkie. But some of the biggest steelhead on the smallest corkie, sometimes bareback, or even yarn only.

Just after a storm when the water is really brown, for fall chinook I fished a large spin-n-glo with a huge glob of eggs, plunked with 4-8oz of lead, out no more than 5-10' off the bank. Sit and drink Mexican or Irish coffee and wait for the yarn to bob and the bell to ring. :) "Somebody wake up Hicks!!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top