JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will make this short and sweet. I suck at fishing. And I have 5 kids. I can hunt well, but not fish. With that said, if anyone has any decent reels for trout, and your just gonna throw them out, I will take them off your hands.
Thanks
J

Local bi Marts sell cheap reel and rod combos for like $16.

Get a package or 2 of hooks, bobbers and some bait and that's about as simple as it gets.

I have a couple I would give you if we were closer but it would cost about as much to ship them as it would be for you to get new ones.

Check out some estate sales in your area.
Fishing gear is priced way under value and generally full of trout type tackle.
For a couple of bucks you can score some top of the line gear, just need to replace the line.

If you can find it, Isier line comes in nice size spools cheep and is really good line, load up on 4 pound and go to town! Bi-Mart usually carries it! I Switched fro all the other brands to just this for every thing! Best line there is!

Gear won't make you a better at fishing anymore than a nice rifle makes you a better hunter.

If you want your kids to catch fish then there a few things to follow;

1. fish where the fish are
  2. fish when AND where the fish are feeding
  3. know what type of fish you are trying to catch
  4. know and change techniques for the variations in 1-3 above.
  5. be patient. enjoy the experience not jus the catching
with these all fishing trips will be successful.

post where you live and I can give you a few suggestions for probable success

Use size 14 trebble hooks with chartrouse powerbait balled up to just cover the hook, and test it so that it floats! Run a 3' leader with a super small barrel swivel and a small sliding egg weight. Cast it out to where you think there might be fish, and let it sink and set. If set up correctly, the baited hook will float up off the bottom and put you into some fish. When you get bit, let them take it and feed them line, when they start to slow down, set the hook! Rinse and repeat! Some times the power bait called Captain America will work better as well, but most times the first one works the best! You can also run a night crawler under a bobber and see if you get bit that way! Make sure you check the local regs to make sure your stuff is legal, HAVE FUN!

If you can find it, Isier line comes in nice size spools cheep and is really good line, load up on 4 pound and go to town! Bi-Mart usually carries it! I Switched fro all the other brands to just this for every thing! Best line there is!
Izore line is the choice for me, as tough as Maxima but cheaper.

Wish that you lived closer I would take you all fishing in my boat!!! If you ever get over to the Wet side of Washington LMK.;)

Izore line is the choice for me, as tough as Maxima but cheaper.

Wish that you lived closer I would take you all fishing in my boat!!! If you ever get over to the Wet side of Washington LMK.;)
HA! I switched from Maxima several years ago, great line, but tangles and takes a set forcing me to change the line every season if I used it or not:( Discovered Izore line and switched ALL my reels over! From 4 pound all the way up to 30 pound! What a difference it made for casting when drift fishing!

All great info! Thanks! In regards to reels and such. I need to hit the estate sales. As far as catching fish. That's just it. I like to catch them. So I can't stand fly fishing. And I'm proud to say that. I think fishing takes time to learn.

Last Edited:
Serious as a heart attack.
I was fishing for fall salmon one year and the guy next to me in the hog line said the same thing.
That days prediction was for a major bite at exactly 7:02 pm and my pole went down at that exact time. It made a believer out of him.
Try this, look up tomorrows major feeding time for your area, either am or pm and watch the native birds (Swallows, Finches, Robbins, etc) in your area start to get active and feed.

No Joke! I have been using that for years. Fly fishing puts you right on top of what is happening all around and when the bite is on and what they are hitting! jbett98 is correct, this is one of the best kept secrets out there for fishing! Use it with your tide table book to find your exact location on the river system, and it's deadly! Stick with known colors, sizes, and sents, and you will get bit most every time, as long as there are fish in the water at that time ( Didn't get a dam opened on ya on that day:mad:) Your going to fill the ice box!:)

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have gear but I never catch anything when the kids are with me. I'm in west Skamania county if you have any recommendations.

For kids, they get bored fairly easy if they're not catching. I would try to start them off with warm water fish as they're easy to catch and give a good fight when you do. These fish include: bass, crappie, sunfish, bluegill. You can find these in Ice House and Little Ask lakes.

I will post some techniques for kids for these fish later today/tonight.

Send me a PM. I have a 20 foot boat and lots of gear. If you can make it up this way, I can take you and your kids out.

PS. Berkley Gulp! Eggs will result in way more bites than the dough stuff. Slide a 3/8 sliding egg sinker on your main line, a 5mm bead under it, and a barrel tied on the end of your main line. Tie 3 feet of leader and a size 6 octopus or single egg hook. Then 2 Gulp! Eggs (prefer chartruse or orange) on the hook. Fish it on the bottom with a semi tight line.

IMG_20150715_061912335.JPG

The best artificial lure I have ever used while trolling for trout is the smallest sized frog/tadpole colored Luhr Jensen Hot Shot. The ones with the yellow under belly are my favorite.
I suppose you could also cast them from the bank if you have the right rod and line.
They should be illegal they work so good.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQflWee06rcfnWtIOD_snzef4VsVR3-fkGOrXBhQFY-7dCLQjfh.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews