JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up my fishing license last year and only got out a few times. This year I'm not messing around, I've already been out 4 times this year and am getting the itch to go more and more.

I know this is a learning sport and I don't expect to be amazing at it in the middle of winter as a novice.

So, a little bit about me, I'm 34, Oregonian born and raised. I just started shooting and hunting about 4 years ago and fishing has always seemed interesting to me as well but never had the opportunity. I had a pole gifted to me (Daiwa Shock 3500 6'6" medium Daiwa). I picked up some tackle but I was a bit overwhelmed with everything.

I have some bobbers and baithooks, powerbait. 4lb leader line, weights and a Topfort 20pc spinning lures set. I also had some jigjeads? (Sideways hook with round pink head and eyes that soft plastics slide on) but I lost those, more on that later. I need some direction for my next purchases, that wall of colors and beads and cranks and jigs and spoons is a bit daunting. I would like to mainly fish for anything that can be eaten. Panfish sound amazing, but just looking to learn more to catch some.

A few newbie questions.

How do I stop snagging? Ive heard fish like structure, so I aim for structure and Blamo! Snagged. Any suggestions?

So I don't know what lbs my mainline is but it's mono and really stretchy, if I were to guess at least 20lbs. Do I need to, or should I add more of my 4lb leader to it with an uni knot and it's okay to reel that knot up right?

I'm in Salem and have mostly been fishing St Louis ponds and walling pond. I'd prefer to only fish from places that have clean water so the fish can be eaten. If anyone wants to show me the ropes and fish together, let me know.

Sorry for rambling on and thank you for all the information I've already gotten from here.

I thought st.louis ponds were kids only... I'd pick up a reg book. Following the stocking schedule is the best way to catch stocked trout. Small spinners are a good option. If you're using a light action 6'6 rod for trout, try using 6lb test all the way through. I've landed steelhead on mine, so don't worry.

I thought st.louis ponds were kids only... I'd pick up a reg book. Following the stocking schedule is the best way to catch stocked trout. Small spinners are a good option. If you're using a light action 6'6 rod for trout, try using 6lb test all the way through. I've landed steelhead on mine, so don't worry.

St Louis ponds are hunting and fishing and they've removed the stocking schedule from the public. I think they are still stocking but they aren't telling anyone.

They don't want people during this downtime to rush those spots I guess.

Silverton res is also a decent spot thats not to far also. Look on ODFW website for each lakes stocking schedule. This time of year a couple ponds and lakes get brood trout.

It would be easier just to take you fishing than explain it. But....I'll try.

First, fish do like structure and cover. Some are more dependent on it than others. If you read about fishing for a particular species, you'll find tackle recommendations that have been developed over the years to get the bait or lure to the fish while snagging less. This can be weedless rigs for bass, bottom walkers for walleye, slinky weights for drift fishing in rivers, etc. Floats (grownup talk fir bobbers) are a great way to suspend bait or jigs over rocks and other structure.

If you're afraid to lose gear, you won't catch as many fish. It's an evil that can be minimized, but not eliminated. Trial and error will help you realize what a lure or bait will do, its benefits or drawbacks, and hopefully its effectiveness.

I'd replace any line that came on the combo. It's generally not great. For smaller stocked trout and panfish (bluegills, crappies, perch), 6# is a good place to be. If your reel has extra spools available, get a couple and put different lines so you can just switch them out if you decide to fish for something else.

PM me if you'd like to chat more about it.

These are just MY preferences.....

That rod will show you what line and lure/sinker weights are recommended. You said a "Medium" weight rod? Just use 10# Berkley/ Trilene XL. XL stands for Extra Limp. With a snap-swivel and about 16"-18" 6 # leader. If your not fishing in gin-clear water there's no reason to use really light line. Fishing The Williamson for trophy trout with flies? The Metolius? Yes. Fishing the Willamette for smallies or put and take "pellet heads", or?, in the ponds, no. Don't use too small of a hook, to start. Too easy for fish to swallow it before you can set the hook and then you're having to dig it out of the fishes gullet.

Now, I think, is sort of a bad time to look for edible fish. Water is either dirty, or lakes are low with a mud flat to walk out on. Sink into? I'd say look at what lakes get planted. (I'm not sure they are planting them and not telling when they're planting. Doesn't make sense. Der fuhrer doesn't want people gathering. I don't believe they would take the chance.) Then look at what of those lakes you have some decent access to. Who knows what's in there that would bite a worm? For trout use a worm and marshmallow. The mallow will lift the worm off the bottom. If you're really into, getting into, fishing, you probably don't care what you catch, for now. Take your gear and some night crawlers and find a low/no current spot on the Willamette toss in a worm and see what happens?

That's stuff to get you started. You'll learn as you go along too. And we'll hope that our "Rulers" will plant trout this year, usually starting around now. But know that you WILL have a lot of company if your going after the pellet heads. People lined up shoulder to shoulder on the bank when ever a planting truck come to plant.

Come warmer weather, find a site that gives the temp of The Willamette. When that water reaches 53 degrees, for three days, that is the time to get after the smallies.

1610213853204.png

Last Edited:
Thank you guys so much, answered a bunch of questions I didn't get a chance to ask yet so that is helpful.

@No_Regerts thanks for the affirmation that losing tackle means I'm learning lol I didn't even know you could have quick changing spools so that's awesome. I will definitely take you up on the PM questions in the future.

@Mikej thank you for the clear water vs dirty water knowledge. What size hook do you think is appropriate? I've been using mostly #6 baitholder hooks, with 4 and 8 here and there too. It was nice to fish by myself the couple times it happened but I know that it's only going to get busier the nicer it gets.

I really want to surf perch on the beach this summer. Those fish look crazy cool and I already love wading into the ocean when I go, I'll just fish while I do it now lol

Thank you guys so much, answered a bunch of questions I didn't get a chance to ask yet so that is helpful.

thank you for the clear water vs dirty water knowledge. What size hook do you think is appropriate? I've been using mostly #6 baitholder hooks, with 4 and 8 here and there too. It was nice to fish by myself the couple times it happened but I know that it's only going to get busier the nicer it gets.

I really want to surf perch on the beach this summer. Those fish look crazy cool and I already love wading into the ocean when I go, I'll just fish while I do it now lol

You try what size hook you think is right. I've been surprised at how quick, and how small of perch, can get a size 4 hook deep enough that you pull the guts out removing it. But then that was fishing for active fall fish. So there's that. I just threw the info out there as I've come to see it. You'll have a much easier time getting half of a good size nightcrawler slid up a size 4 hook with enough barb exposed to stick a marshmallow on.

Why wait 'til summer to fish for surf perch? We dabbled in that a bit. Had some success. If I lived close to the coast, or better yet real close, I'd do more of it. It's kind of a no-brainer. Search for steeper beaches. Fish the incoming tide. Use Berkeley Sand Worms for bait.

If I get a chance to get to the coast before summer I definitely will. Just not sure it will be happening for a few months. All my driving right now is going to coyote hunting and turkey scouting.

So another odd question. I found a spinning reel that someone tossed after it got tangled, I untangled it and it looks like it might work okay. Is there a checklist I can go over to see if it's usable? Do I need a 2 rod permit just to carry 2 rods?

If I get a chance to get to the coast before summer I definitely will. Just not sure it will be happening for a few months. All my driving right now is going to coyote hunting and turkey scouting.

So another odd question. I found a spinning reel that someone tossed after it got tangled, I untangled it and it looks like it might work okay. Is there a checklist I can go over to see if it's usable? Do I need a 2 rod permit just to carry 2 rods?

There's a lot of cheap crap reels out there. Depends on what it is I guess. Maybe pull the side plate off, clean it out a bit and lube it up. See how it feels.

You only need a two rod permit to FISH with 2 rods at the same time.

Practice casting sideways and "under hand" into a little bucket or one gallon paint can. For trout from the bank use six pound test all the way down. Use a sliding weight with a swivel to stop it and just enough leader to get your floating bait up out of the weeds. Use Berkley "power eggs" and a tiny little treble hook. They float well and you can reuse them to catch more than one fish with the same "power egg". You do not need to use a big hook to catch a big fish. My wife and I have used this method of "plunking" to catch many trophy sized brooders. It seems to help to use some "scent goo" on the rig to disguise the unfamiliar scents. Wash your hands thoroughly and often. They can smell your hands and what you have on your hands and under your fingernails. I was once fishing in a very small body of water standing in the middle of many other anglers. During a fish catching frenzy, I was the only one that did not even get a bite because I had recently checked the oil in our cars engine. The best lures for trout: Rooster Tail, Flatfish, Super Duper, Triple Teaser, Castmaster, Wedding Ring. The flyfishermen with float tubes and pontoon things catch and release hundreds of trout per day. If you go to Steelman Lake on Sauvie Island in the spring when the crappie are spawning, you can catch two or three at a time and fill a bucket with them. If you like to eat fish with stronger "fishy" flavor, then Shad just below the Bonneville dam is worth the trip when they are running. Northwest Fishing Reports on YouTube is good. [email protected]

So I picked up my fishing license last year and only got out a few times. This year I'm not messing around, I've already been out 4 times this year and am getting the itch to go more and more.

I know this is a learning sport and I don't expect to be amazing at it in the middle of winter as a novice.

So, a little bit about me, I'm 34, Oregonian born and raised. I just started shooting and hunting about 4 years ago and fishing has always seemed interesting to me as well but never had the opportunity. I had a pole gifted to me (Daiwa Shock 3500 6'6" medium Daiwa). I picked up some tackle but I was a bit overwhelmed with everything.

I have some bobbers and baithooks, powerbait. 4lb leader line, weights and a Topfort 20pc spinning lures set. I also had some jigjeads? (Sideways hook with round pink head and eyes that soft plastics slide on) but I lost those, more on that later. I need some direction for my next purchases, that wall of colors and beads and cranks and jigs and spoons is a bit daunting. I would like to mainly fish for anything that can be eaten. Panfish sound amazing, but just looking to learn more to catch some.

A few newbie questions.

How do I stop snagging? Ive heard fish like structure, so I aim for structure and Blamo! Snagged. Any suggestions?

So I don't know what lbs my mainline is but it's mono and really stretchy, if I were to guess at least 20lbs. Do I need to, or should I add more of my 4lb leader to it with an uni knot and it's okay to reel that knot up right?

I'm in Salem and have mostly been fishing St Louis ponds and walling pond. I'd prefer to only fish from places that have clean water so the fish can be eaten. If anyone wants to show me the ropes and fish together, let me know.

Sorry for rambling on and thank you for all the information I've already gotten from here.

towards the coast is pretty clean, tillamook bay is great, and rivers that come from it are pretty clean.

I'd avoid anything personally from the columbia, and tributaries... mainly due the hanford site leaking into the water supply. Thought there is so much water, probably most don't mind that.

Treble hooks snag more, you can try replacing with singles.

It just takes a little time, and it you learn each time you go out.

If you want to catch Surf Perch here's your game plan.
1). Heavy 20lb line
2). Large round bobber
3). Number 2 hook
4). Medium uncooked frozen shrimp ( size of your pinkie)
5). Rod holder for sand.
6). 10 lb leader
7).1/2 oz barrel sinker
Put a 1/2 oz barrel weight on the mainline, above the swivel, Tie a swivel on the mainline, tie 3' of 10 lb leader to your hook. Rig the bait, attach the bobber/ float 5-6' from the bait, cast out as far as you can in waste deep water. The bobber holds the bait out of the weeds, if you get snagged in kelp beds the leader breaks not your main line, weight and bobber. The bobber allows better presentation of the bait.
Fished with my kids when I lived in Brooking 30+ years ago and filled a 5 gal bucket many times.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top