JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I finally got some spare cash saved up and I headed over to Bass Pro Shop, as I figure they must know what they are talking about there. So I start talking to 1 sales guy and flat out tell him I am a newbie in need of a new rod/reel, I would like to spend less than $200 for a Salmon/Steelhead setup what do you recommend. So I then got asked more questions than I could even answer, and then said I am just looking for something universal, it doesnt need to be the best but I dont want junk I just want a good entry level setup that I can catch fish with an not be the laughing stock if people see what I am fishing with (you know having the appropriate equipment for what I am fishing for). I was then told by multipul sales men that its just not possible that each rod and reel are specific for a type of fishing. I said I just want a rod I can take to the river and catch some fish with, and again I got a well it depends on the river, conditions, trees, wind, moon placement, planets aligment, if you shaved that day or not ect ect ect...

That begin said can you guys help me out, I am sure there had to be a "universal setup", I understand there are certain poles for certain conditions, but really?

I just want to start fishing, and I have $200 to spend, can anyone give me pointers on rod length, type of rod for poundage and such?? I know I also want to go with a spinning reel.

Also what would be my best bet for prices? I seem to have alot of stores around me selling fishing gear. Bass Pro Shop, Sportco, Walmart, Big 5, Sportsmans Warehouse, Dicks, Cabellas, and I am sure there are a few others I am missing.

I finally got some spare cash saved up and I headed over to Bass Pro Shop, as I figure they must know what they are talking about there. So I start talking to 1 sales guy and flat out tell him I am a newbie in need of a new rod/reel, I would like to spend less than $200 for a Salmon/Steelhead setup what do you recommend. So I then got asked more questions than I could even answer, and then said I am just looking for something universal, it doesnt need to be the best but I dont want junk I just want a good entry level setup that I can catch fish with an not be the laughing stock if people see what I am fishing with (you know having the appropriate equipment for what I am fishing for). I was then told by multipul sales men that its just not possible that each rod and reel are specific for a type of fishing. I said I just want a rod I can take to the river and catch some fish with, and again I got a well it depends on the river, conditions, trees, wind, moon placement, planets aligment, if you shaved that day or not ect ect ect...

That begin said can you guys help me out, I am sure there had to be a "universal setup", I understand there are certain poles for certain conditions, but really?

I just want to start fishing, and I have $200 to spend, can anyone give me pointers on rod length, type of rod for poundage and such?? I know I also want to go with a spinning reel.

Also what would be my best bet for prices? I seem to have alot of stores around me selling fishing gear. Bass Pro Shop, Sportco, Walmart, Big 5, Sportsmans Warehouse, Dicks, Cabellas, and I am sure there are a few others I am missing.

Just go to biMart and pickup a rod and reel combo medium action about 8 ft. long. Then go out and have fun

Oknow pretty much sumed it up with a med combo but I would try for at least a 8 1/2 - 9 1/2' rod. You will definitely have a learning experience fishing in a fast flowing shallow river. A longer rod keeps more line out of the water (think less resistance) and more feel of the bottom, tap--- tap---tap. That is the lead weight contacting the stream bottom correctly.
End of lesson 1....;)

Go down to the river/lake where folks are actually fishing and asked them what works best.
Any old timer will point you in right direction. Talk to the guy who is actually caching some fish.
Casting from a riverbank is completely different then back bouncing, trolling or hog lining out in the river.
There is no universal rod/reel that will work for every type of fishing.
The old guy who taught me how to catch salmon used to make his own lures out of old Ford model A headlights.
He would take a fine tooth coping saw and cut out a wobbler that should have been illegal to fish with, it just slayed the salmon.
It was brass on the inside and nickle chrome on the other side.
There were guys offering him a hundred bucks for just one of his special lures.
Also, I wouldn't trust any information from a guy behind a counter.

Just go to biMart and pickup a rod and reel combo medium action about 8 ft. long. Then go out and have fun

Exactly. Pretty much every set up I have came from BiMart. I have an ultra light spinning set up for trout, makes a 10 inch trout seem like a salmon, I have another slightly heavier pole for faster water trout fishing or lake trolling, I have an vintage Eagle Claw steelhead rod with a nice Quick reel that has been putting fish on the bank for over 35 years, and I have a BiMart low end fly rod. I have less than $ 200 in all of them together.

There are a lot of cheap low end stuff to learn with out there. Get your feel with these and then decide what you want to move up to. The "sales people" at all these places are just bunch of clowns who think because they work there, they automatically know more than the people who come in, and then they open their mouths and confirm it.

Then a person like you with good intentions and wanting some help becomes their captive audience while they run a line of bullshot to hear themselves wax on. Boring.

I did as someone mentioned above.
I asked a guy I know that was having a lot of luck fishing and basically got the same set up he had.
Was about $200 plus for some lures and weights, etc.
I also read a lot of blogs and articles about river fishing for salmon.
But in the end it's all about getting out and throwing a line in the water.
The treat is fishing, catching something is just a bonus.

I live in your neck of the woods CBZdel. If you're interested, I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you some gear that I use locally. Fishing rods are really like golf clubs. If you just want to slug some balls at the driving range, you don't need much. If you want to actually play a game with a variety of different "shots", it pays to have the right "club".

I have a fishing calendar that I follow where I tend to go with whatever opportunity best presents itself during that time of the year. I fish for steelhead in rivers, salmon/bottomfish in saltwater, walleyes/bass/panfish/trout in lakes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top