JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have not been fishing in probably 15 years or so, and back then I would buy a reasonably priced collapsible rod/reel combos as I would only go fishing when I would go backpacking. Even back then I had no idea what I was doing, I just bought what caught my eye at the store and it worked pretty good for the most part. The best I can remember it was only smaller trout that I was catching.

I would like to start acquiring gear and getting back into it, problem is the fishing department now at local stores is 10 times bigger than what it used to be, so I have really no idea where to start. Really just looking at freshwater fishing in either rivers or lakes, but other than that what do I buy pole and reel wise, there are just so many choices it makes my head spin. I am not looking for the best of the best, I just want something good enough to get me started and last me several years as I can gain more experience.

It all depends on the type of fish that you're going for. A bass rod will need to be heavier than say a trout rod, and a fly rod is a totally different beast. If you're going for trout on a casting rod, a cheap 4-5 weight rod will be more than sufficient, and a reel is mostly a line holder. For bass, I'd probably go with a 5 weight.

I am just thinking trout and salmon for now. What about rod length and type of reel. I have only used spinning reels in the past, are those still the go to for a basic reel? I am starting to see alot more advertising for bait casters.

I only fly fish trout, but I know that a 12" or even a 20" trout will require less rod than a salmon. If you're wanting trout and salmon, I would go with two different rods.

If you are wanting to go salmon fishing I suggest a 10 to 20 pound test rod with your choice of a spinning reel or you can get a baitcaster and practice practice practice. I prefer baitcasters for bigger fish because you have a better drag when fighting a big fish.

As far as trout goes I would suggest a 6 to 10 pound test 8' 6" rod with a spinning reel to double as a trout & steelhead rod.:cool:

Last Edited:
With a salmon rod, you wouldn't know if a trout was on the other end.
Hire a fishing guide to figure out what you need in the way of gear.
Ask a million questions, that's what a guide is for. It's money well spent if you pay attention.
90% of the fish caught are by 10% of the fisherman.

what would the downside be to using a salmon sized rod say just the 20pound for a smaller trout?

For me (I love having a rod or three for every fish I target) it depends how you are fishing, slinging spinners, trolling or drowning bait. Trust me, if you want to fish up here I'd go the 2 pole route and be covered for everything but halibut & sturgeon.... buy one setup now & it doesn't need to be a Loomis or Lamiglas, go with an Ugly stick (they are indestructible) or Berkley with an Okuma reel. Less than a C-note.

I fish ultra light spin cast for trout, and also fly fish. I am getting into fly fishing for steelhead this winter. I have a steelhead salmon type spin cast rod / reel set up, and would like to go to a bait cast reel and a better quality rod, but I keep looking at garage and estate sales, since I cannot afford the outrageous prices they want for new gear.

Ifish.net is a good spot to learn, some call it Ilie.net when asking for location advice.

I fish ultra light spin cast for trout, and also fly fish. I am getting into fly fishing for steelhead this winter. I have a steelhead salmon type spin cast rod / reel set up, and would like to go to a bait cast reel and a better quality rod, but I keep looking at garage and estate sales, since I cannot afford the outrageous prices they want for new gear.

Ifish.net is a good spot to learn, some call it Ilie.net when asking for location advice.

Some call it "cryfish" but I've been a member since 2001 & filter the crap there. There are a few jerks that get bent at nubes asking questions but that's where the crap filter comes in handy, don't sweat it.

Good techniques and gear info along with a fast moving classified section.

Good luck cbzdel, don't be afraid to ask questions.

25 years ago, I made friends with an old codger who wrote the book on hog line fishing in the Sandy River/Columbia area.
He taught me where to fish and why salmon/steelhead bite his homemade lures.
If you're smart, find an older guy that is willing to share some of his hard won secrets, because it's a lot easier and more productive fishing then trying to figure it out all by yourself.
Another thing to consider is learning about the Solunar Tables by John Allen Knight.
A lot of guys call it a bunch of bunk, but I can truthfully testify that if you learn the tables and follow the time frames, you will see more action on the water then if you don't.

Last Edited:
I too have learned fishing in the PNW from people who have lived here their whole lives and listening to the older generation of fishermen.
I also have learned a bunch by trial and error out on the river when no one else was crazy enough.
GO FISH....:cool:

10 rods a last count. I prefer 8 to 9 foot rods. I started out what is called ultra light fishing 55 years ago. Trout 4 lb line. Well everything on 4 or 6 lb line. Bass, steelhead and salmon 8 weight fly rod, 9ft. Reels, I use spinning reels and level winds (bait casters). Last bait caster is a Abu Garcia, love it, it has a magnetic brake!. Old school, free spool, beginners beware the bird nest. Phluger fly reel, lots of backing. Brother in law had a steelhead strip 250 yds of just new 20lb line. fishing time that day, 20 minutes. I have had 300 yds striped. Winter steel head go nuts when they feel a hook. Time for hot coffee to freeze when you are winter steelhead fishing, 4 minutes.

Before this last year I had 19 rods and was forcefully sent into rehab..... Hi, my name is Caveman Jim and I am a Salmon, trout and steelheading addict. I eat, sleep & poop fishing (well I may go chase some feathered food occasionally, but that is beside the point)!!!! I feel that even the most stringent counseling or drug induced therapy will not heal this affliction. I am a lost cause and I WILL ESCAPE THIS COMPOUND!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

For me (I love having a rod or three for every fish I target) it depends how you are fishing, slinging spinners, trolling or drowning bait. Trust me, if you want to fish up here I'd go the 2 pole route and be covered for everything but halibut & sturgeon.... buy one setup now & it doesn't need to be a Loomis or Lamiglas, go with an Ugly stick (they are indestructible) or Berkley with an Okuma reel. Less than a C-note.

Yeah me too :D have 87 reels and about 108 rods right now. A little overkill LOL.

(I should clarify I worked at a Joes Store till the day they closed and clearance sales caught me)

But I told the grandkids that if they need a rod, ever, to come and get it.
They will never go without a rod. Catching fish is the best place for them. :)
Even if they step on and break one or close in the door, they get a new one without question.

Having A separate rod for Salmon and steelhead and another for trout is the best bet and still others for bass, etc is good.
Learn to use a bait caster. I use them from 80# down to 8# lines, and they come in all sizes. get the best you can afford and learn to use them. They will handle much better than Spin reels for most all fishing, except truly ultra light stuff.
And like they told you get a "good established and productive" guide and pay attention to every detail when you go with them. It will save you years of trial and error learning.

Last Edited:
I'm in the same boat.
I went for the first time last year with a co-worker. Caught my first salmon and had it on the grill in less than 3 hours. It was delicious.
My wife saw how excited I was and bought me a nice ugly stick and reel. She knows the guys and bought me the same set up he has.
So I'll be on the Columbia this year for sure.

And now I want to get another rod for trout or similar size fish.
I have a 3-4lbs rod, but I think it may be a little small.

I just need to learn lures, and tying the line.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews