JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We are heading down to Grants Pass and Jacksonville for the next week or so for a much needed escape. We'll be staying with family in Grants Pass for a few days then heading over to Jacksonville for a few. I haven't done much fishing in the area. Anybody have any info or tips for bank fishing in the Applegate reservoir? Any other lakes or ponds we should check out? Combat fishing and people in general aren't really my thing so we are looking for something where the masses don't congregate. I prefer warm water fish like bass, perch and crappie while my 11 year old son is a trout slayer. Any assistance is appreciated.

Doing some reading it says there's smallmouth in the lake. And currently the lake is 8.5' below full pool. Which doesn't sound too bad. http://applegate.lakesonline.com/Level/ I guess they plant trout too.
But for me sitting on the bank in the hot sun, on a dirt bank waiting for trout to bite doesn't sound too fun. Now if you had a boat? Yeah. You could do some google mapping and see where there's rocky areas of the bank where you have access and go for smallies. For smallies I've always like the simple leadhead in 1/8-1/4 oz with a 3"-4" plastic grub in natural colors. That's what I'd look toward doing anyway. Takes some pics and post up how things went after you get back. My Dad-in-law lived in Merlin and had a boat for awhile and fished there a time or two. He wasn't much of a fisherman though. that was probably 20 years ago.

That isn't lost creek above it IS Applegate Res.

In grants pass, go out lower river road and follow the river. There used to be lots of sportsman access. There was a spot by where the applegate dumps into the rogue. I always used a worm threader, put on a big ole nightcrawler and bounce it off the bottom. Every now and then a summer run steelhead would latch on. A little early, but used to catch the sea run cut throats that came back to spawn, 2 to 3 pounders. A lot of fun. I used to fish the far end of the applegate reservoir, good access. Power bait used to be irresistible to the trout.

Lots of crappie, a few bass. Boy had a great time at Lake Selmac. The Applegate is next.

IMG_20210721_201705031_HDR.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads