JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need to read their updates and changes page, seems they update the regulations every other week.

If I am correct, live bait can only be used if taken from the body of water which is being fished. I think there is some sort of baitfish running up the sandy this time of year. I'd look into that too if I used bait outside of the bays.

I'm pretty sure it allows it if you capture non-gamefish species in the same body of water you are intending to fish with them. Transportation is illegal and so is bought bait or species listed as cannot be taken. Apparently live crayyfish cannot be used as bait, which is really stupid as they're great for bass and some are invasive anyway!
Page 18 of the regs restricts this to tidewaters, bays and the ocean... so does this technically allow use of live resident nongamefish as bait up to bonneville and the willamette locks? I know the area around sauvie island is affected by the tide. Doesn't that make it intertidal?

I guess don't risk it unless you want to prove something in court. Besides, you'll probably waste a bunch of time trying to get bait when you should be fishing.

Use of Fish for Bait
Dead fish, preserved fish, parts of fish and
shellfish, and fish eggs may be used as bait.
The following may NOT be used as bait:
• Live fish. Except live nongame fish may
be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters
when taken from the same waters in which
they will be used as bait.
• Goldfish. Nor can they be in an angler's
possession while angling.
• Lamprey.
• Live crayfish.
• Live leeches. Nor can they be in an angler's
possession while angling.

This straight from oregon 2017 regulations.

My only complaint is about the crayfish, which should be the same as "non-gamefish" in bays/estuaries.
Technically yes, you can use live baitfish, but practically no, you can't.

You use an egg loop or small rubber bands.

075039_0b42f29411f7ebf4f9f170f506ca622b.jpg

Egg loops always cut the thing in half for me... I see two hooks are better than one?
I'm used to swinging them so it seems there is no avoiding losing a bunch.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top