Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fishing for cohos.. I need a little advice/help

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by WackNStackBlacktail89, Sep 14, 2011.

1. WackNStackBlacktail89

WackNStackBlacktail89 Arlington New Member

I do a fair amount of fishing on the river but i have yet to catch myself a coho. I know it can be quite difficult and i have been doing some research on the internet, but alot of the advice is from canada or michigan. I was wondering if the tech is the same. Ive been floating a blue fox of a hollow core weight with 3-5 feet of lead. Or for slower waters I've been drifting various maraibu jigs off a dink float much like steelhead. Like I said they use it in canada.... Just wondering if this makes sense:laugh: I dont wanna waste my time looking like a dummy. And i would really like to land my first coho this year so any help would be much appreciated everyone thanks for the help
    :thumbup:

Marcus

2. Woody

Woody western Wa. Member

hard to look dumb when we live in arlington. lol so many idiots in our neck of the woods. I have seen them caught on corky and yarn, chart. color. everything else you are using sounds good. just weeding thru the pinks is tough. good luck

3. coastal steelheader

coastal steelheader Aberdeen Well-Known Member

Where exactly are you fishing? Tidewater or out of tidewater.

If your in tidewater and your a bankmaggot like myself, then you can't go wrong throwing spinners. Blue Fox, Mepps, Flash Glo, in chartreuse/silver, orange/silver, pink/silver. Wiggle warts and hot shots in blue pirate, charteuse, hot orange, hot pink, and herringbone work good too. Depending on the tide, current and weather sometimes a herring under a float works wonders if you get bored with the cast/retrieve game.

If out of tidewater try float and eggs, float and jigs, and or corky and eggs, or corky and yarn. Cheaters, and spin glos also work well.

4. pacific keeper

pacific keeper North Coast New Member

Coastal nailed it , If there is a boat and some saltwater try herring or anchovies on a mooching rig 15 to 30 feet deep trolling @ 1 or 2 knots . Other than that , get some binos and put the glass on the guys that are catching them !

5. coastal steelheader

Another thing I'd add WacknStack, is don't be afraid to downsize your hardware. Until today I have always used size #5 or #6 Blue Fox spinners (or same size equivalent for Mepps, Flash Glos etc) for salmon, and would never think of using a #3 or #4. After throwing spinners for three hours with not even a followup, the guy next to me caught a 12lb silver on a size #4 blue fox. Another fisherman hooked and lost a silver on a size 3 orange and brass blue fox. I downsized and within twenty minutes had two hookups. When I got home I spent about an hour rummaging through my steelhead gear grabbing every blue fox I can find. Don't make my mistake and stay with the old tried and true, if the tried and true isn't working.

6. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

You may want to look at the pearl pink/white bangtail, or roostertail in half to 3/4 oz. Fish it by casting just upstream at 11 oclock and getting it to spin just enough to drift it downstream, much like drifting a bait. As it comes to the end of it's drift, allow it to spin in an arch as it raises slowly. This has hooked many Silvers for me when nothing else would, Remember to keep it close to the bottom. Good luck.

7. sigsam

sigsam oregon Active Member

silver diver and a worm whole or cut been working for 30 yrs for me

8. cosme9242

cosme9242 Kent Member

I hit two of them inside an hour on the Puyallup River using a red corky with red yard and a 1/0 red hook. My dad also nailed one using green yarn with a red corky with a size 1 red hook

9. Don't Sue People Panda

Don't Sue People Panda Portland Member

I've been fishing on the White Salmon River. No luck at all. Been mostly bobber fishing with a few spinners here and there. I'm tired of not catching. haha It's the worst.

10. coastal steelheader

They seem to have lockjaw on the coast too. Lots of fish just not many looking to bite

11. hsullyc

hsullyc North coast,Nehalem,OR Member

Orange blue fox NO.5 cast and let it drop close to the bottom then retrieve.A friend caught and released 14 on sunday.

12. coastal steelheader

I've tried blue/nickel, but haven't tried the blue orange yet. I'll give it a try.

13. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

Up here in Alaska the Coho are running late....I have been doing well lately with spoons...Especially a chrome/hot pink steelie. The paint is almost wore off that spoon and I've only been using it a week now... 10 coho in 3 outings.

W44

14. Burntgraphite

Burntgraphite Near the tillamook bay New Member

When my command authorizes it, I just fish off of our 47' motor life boats...but I use a trolling rig with pieces of herring. Caught a fair amount of Coho and two Chinook so far this year between myself and some other guys at my station. And I tend to fish where the water depth is 75' or better.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  15. Silverback

Silverback Oregon City New Member

That orange #5 blue fox spinner would be my suggestion too !! Play around with the retrieve. Changing up the speed and action can trigger a strike in coho's just like it can in bass.