JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do a fair amount of fishing on the river but i have yet to catch myself a coho. I know it can be quite difficult and i have been doing some research on the internet, but alot of the advice is from canada or michigan. I was wondering if the tech is the same. Ive been floating a blue fox of a hollow core weight with 3-5 feet of lead. Or for slower waters I've been drifting various maraibu jigs off a dink float much like steelhead. Like I said they use it in canada.... Just wondering if this makes sense:s0114: I dont wanna waste my time looking like a dummy. And i would really like to land my first coho this year so any help would be much appreciated everyone thanks for the help
:s0155:

Marcus

hard to look dumb when we live in arlington. lol so many idiots in our neck of the woods. I have seen them caught on corky and yarn, chart. color. everything else you are using sounds good. just weeding thru the pinks is tough. good luck

Where exactly are you fishing? Tidewater or out of tidewater.

If your in tidewater and your a bankmaggot like myself, then you can't go wrong throwing spinners. Blue Fox, Mepps, Flash Glo, in chartreuse/silver, orange/silver, pink/silver. Wiggle warts and hot shots in blue pirate, charteuse, hot orange, hot pink, and herringbone work good too. Depending on the tide, current and weather sometimes a herring under a float works wonders if you get bored with the cast/retrieve game.

If out of tidewater try float and eggs, float and jigs, and or corky and eggs, or corky and yarn. Cheaters, and spin glos also work well.

Coastal nailed it , If there is a boat and some saltwater try herring or anchovies on a mooching rig 15 to 30 feet deep trolling @ 1 or 2 knots . Other than that , get some binos and put the glass on the guys that are catching them !

Another thing I'd add WacknStack, is don't be afraid to downsize your hardware. Until today I have always used size #5 or #6 Blue Fox spinners (or same size equivalent for Mepps, Flash Glos etc) for salmon, and would never think of using a #3 or #4. After throwing spinners for three hours with not even a followup, the guy next to me caught a 12lb silver on a size #4 blue fox. Another fisherman hooked and lost a silver on a size 3 orange and brass blue fox. I downsized and within twenty minutes had two hookups. When I got home I spent about an hour rummaging through my steelhead gear grabbing every blue fox I can find. Don't make my mistake and stay with the old tried and true, if the tried and true isn't working.

You may want to look at the pearl pink/white bangtail, or roostertail in half to 3/4 oz. Fish it by casting just upstream at 11 oclock and getting it to spin just enough to drift it downstream, much like drifting a bait. As it comes to the end of it's drift, allow it to spin in an arch as it raises slowly. This has hooked many Silvers for me when nothing else would, Remember to keep it close to the bottom. Good luck.

I hit two of them inside an hour on the Puyallup River using a red corky with red yard and a 1/0 red hook. My dad also nailed one using green yarn with a red corky with a size 1 red hook

Up here in Alaska the Coho are running late....I have been doing well lately with spoons...Especially a chrome/hot pink steelie. The paint is almost wore off that spoon and I've only been using it a week now... 10 coho in 3 outings.

W44

When my command authorizes it, I just fish off of our 47' motor life boats...but I use a trolling rig with pieces of herring. Caught a fair amount of Coho and two Chinook so far this year between myself and some other guys at my station. And I tend to fish where the water depth is 75' or better.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top