JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I have been reading a book about tuna fishing,* and the author touched upon the topic of ethics in fishing. I got to thinking about it and I could easily think of many hunting and outdoor ethics I adhere to and practice. Post childhood, I haven't done much in the way of fishing, though my better half still does so on occasion.

Tossing it out there for consideration and discussion: as an angler, what are the things you would regard as absolutely essential to being an ethical fisherman?

Thanks. :)

* One of my former colleagues up in Washington state could pretty much not shut up about the sport. I can't fault him, it sounds like great fun, and provides delicious edibles. Hence why I am reading the book.

General rules of thumb:

1: Finesse is great, but prolonged fights aren't good if you plan to release. They say, "use enough gun". Use enough rod/line as well.

2: Fish that will be released should be left in the water if possible, especially salmonids. Bass are pretty durable, but I still like to get my pic and get them back in the water.

3: I leave spawning fish and fish guarding beds alone.

4: If you must catch fish from deeper water, have a deep-water release. Fizzing isn't great, but better than nothing.

5: Use artificials to prevent deep hooking. I never fish with live bait if I plan to C&R.

6: Give people space. I try to be considerate not to cut ahead of someone. I also give landowners space if they are enjoying the water.

Last Edited:
GET OFF MY WATER was one comment from a guide that we encountered. His clients were perplexed to say the least. :oops:
Don't "low hole".
Don't cast over others lines if you're sharing the gravel bar.
Don't snagg fish!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Take out what you brought in.

In the case of Tuna fishing the most grievous breech in etiquette is crashing someone's bait stop uninvited. Getting too close under power can drive the fish down and halt the live bait bite. Also high on the list of ethics when Tuna fishing is only kill what you have room to take care of properly. Tuna must be bled and iced properly so core temp is brought down quickly or they will be inedible. Most sport boats will plug at around 20-50 fish at a 20# average. This is due to the amount of ice needed and safe maximum weight of of the craft and contents.

Wade fishing steelhead...
Don't step in front of a moving fisherman.
This is a form of "low-holing".
Step in behind a moving fisherman.

Mailbox guys (these stay in one spot for so long that they start receiving mail)
OK to go around Mailbox Guys.

:D

Edit:
Another thought on trash.
Never throw down scrap fishing line.
Birds try to pick it up for nesting material, get hung up it it and then die a slow death.
I pick up an ungodly amount of other people's fishing line.

Last Edited:
Sorry OP, I ain't never been tuna fishin but I have heard it's a lot of fun. That being said I have heard stories of other boats interfering with an area that is hot and turning it ice cold. That is reason fight right there :p

Not a tuna guy but I have read about trollers vs. iron tossers.
The iron guys will set up a "bait stop" and unscrupulous trollers will drag through the bait stop.

Last Edited:
All of what's already been mentioned. Also if fishing from a boat don't encroach on the area a bank angler is fishing. If you're drifting down river quietly float past the guys spot (not directly over his drift).

So, I have been reading a book about tuna fishing,* and the author touched upon the topic of ethics in fishing. I got to thinking about it and I could easily think of many hunting and outdoor ethics I adhere to and practice. Post childhood, I haven't done much in the way of fishing, though my better half still does so on occasion.

Tossing it out there for consideration and discussion: as an angler, what are the things you would regard as absolutely essential to being an ethical fisherman?
Not so much a etiquette video but ocean offshore fishing
Video from a well respected Captain from LoCal. He used to pinhead on boats in the Santa Monica Bay when I fished offshore
For almost 40 years. Guess I'm dating myself.
Thanks. :) P.S. if you "know how to fish with others than you will
Have ethics and etiquette towards others and your quarry.

* One of my former colleagues up in Washington state could pretty much not shut up about the sport. I can't fault him, it sounds like great fun, and provides delicious edibles. Hence why I am reading the book.

If you are a guest on a boat offer to pay gas!

Always pack out trash even if it's not yours

Never brag about how many fish and where you caught them

Know your water if you have guests on your boat and know your boating safety.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top