JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I was trying to remember a bait that my Grandfather and I used once upon a time when I was a kid. They were little ...worms (I think?) they were all encased in these gravel like cocoons, you broke them open and hooked them...? Does any of this sound familiar or am I recalling an hallucination because of nicotine withdrawals. I remember they had blue guts?

Anybody?

Hey guys,

I was trying to remember a bait that my Grandfather and I used once upon a time when I was a kid. They were little ...worms (I think?) they were all encased in these gravel like cocoons, you broke them open and hooked them...? Does any of this sound familiar or am I recalling an hallucination because of nicotine withdrawals. I remember they had blue guts?

Anybody?

Periwinkles / Caddis fly larvae

Fish-Lake-Periwinkle.aspx?maxsidesize=250.jpg
4-periwinkles.jpg

PERWINKLES !!!! That's what they were! I remember the name now too! Thanks Taku! I have been racking my brain all night trying to remember. I remember being absolutely mystified as a child with them.

PERWINKLES !!!! That's what they were! I remember the name now too! Thanks Taku! I have been racking my brain all night trying to remember. I remember being absolutely mystified as a child with them.

Used them for bait too on the Deschutes all the time when you could actually catch fish there with bait before the flyfishing AH's ruined it for everyone.

That makes sense, he taught me how to fish, and how to fish for trout. He took me once to this lake, it was more like a large pond, but with the bluest water I've ever seen in Oregon. We had a bunch of those Periwinkles. He passed a long while ago but I wish I could remember where that lake was, Id like to take my Son.

That makes sense, he taught me how to fish, and how to fish for trout. He took me once to this lake, it was more like a large pond, but with the bluest water I've ever seen in Oregon. We had a bunch of those Periwinkles. He passed a long while ago but I wish I could remember where that lake was, Id like to take my Son.

Hagg?

Grand dad's sure make the best "dents" in our lives.

Fish/Field in D/T Tualatin will have a fine selection of flies you will like. They get my highest retail recomendation for C.S.

Addendum: Pat over in Hebo Sporting Goods can also direct you guyz to some great trout, SH, & Salmon angling.

Hagg?

Grand dad's sure make the best "dents" in our lives.

Fish/Field in D/T Tualatin will have a fine selection of flies you will like. They get my highest retail recomendation for C.S.

Addendum: Pat over in Hebo Sporting Goods can also direct you guyz to some great trout, SH, & Salmon angling.

Don't they? In retrospect, my grandfather taught me so much...... The thing was, at the time it never felt like instruction and the lessons he taught me were some of the good ones, respect for all creatures, life on a farm, how to ride a horse, hell, he is the reason I came back from the service with double expert badges in pistol and rifle marksmanship.... I hope one day I can be that figure for grandchildren of my own.

Don't they? In retrospect, my grandfather taught me so much...... The thing was, at the time it never felt like instruction and the lessons he taught me were some of the good ones, respect for all creatures, life on a farm, how to ride a horse, hell, he is the reason I came back from the service with double expert badges in pistol and rifle marksmanship.... I hope one day I can be that figure for grandchildren of my own.

It appears that you already have the recipe...:)

I love this sight as there's a PLETHORA OF WISDOM here on many disciplines:

You can ask any firearms question and there's a TON of master reloaders, gunsmiths, and marksmen here to genuinely help you.

You can ask a question about obscure/forgotten fishing bait and techniques like in the OP, and there's a TON of master baiters here to help as well...

:D

If you decide to fish with these, get some light wire long shank fly tying hooks - about a number 10 - that way you get a nice natural presentation.

Collect them by plucking off rocks - they are really easy to spot most times.

Other good baits you can collect out of streams (where legal of course) are stone fly larvae - they too can be found clinging to rocks, tho you may have to turn some rocks over.

Caddis and stonefly larvae will catch anything in the waters you find them in.

You can ask any firearms question and there's a TON of master reloaders, gunsmiths, and marksmen here to genuinely help you.

You can ask a question about obscure/forgotten fishing bait and techniques like in the OP, and there's a TON of master baiters here to help as well...

I see what you did there...... :rolleyes:

You guys are lucky!!!
Only thing my grandfathers (either of them) taught me was they were both worthless eh-holes.
Neither one of them was worth a used diaper.

I'm sorry Clearconscence, that's rough. Everyone deserves at least one solid male role model.

Do you want to come fishing with me and my son? Ill wear overalls like my grandpa used to and smoke a pipe so I smell distinguished. Ill even say things like "got your nose" as I steal your nose off your face. (I won't really steal your nose, but it will seem like I did):p

Serious, though, you're welcome to come Sir, always room for one more.

When you grow up in the northwest out in the country you learn alot of things, important stuff, like hunting, fishing and camping with out much store bought stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top