JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been considering buying some fish anitibiotics to keep in the fridge, just in case. I've been poking around online and have found a few places that sell them, but I'm not exactly sure what to get/ how many to get. Anyone have any thoughts?

Youtube up Patriot Nurse. She has a vid on that subject and says what antibiotics can be used for. What to take and when, and if I remember correctly, when NOT to take them.

FYI a bottle of each broad spectrum (as suggested by The Patriot Nurse) is what I recommend, as well. I've also used them, personally, with no ill effects.

Amoxicillin
Ampicillin
Doxycycline
Ciprofloxacin

FYI, they appear to be increasingly more difficulty to find online as I've tried to link the ones I've previously purchased from Amazon.

FYI a bottle of each broad spectrum (as suggested by The Patriot Nurse) is what I recommend, as well. I've also used them, personally, with no ill effects.
Amoxicillin
Ampicillin
Doxycycline
Ciprofloxacin
FYI, they appear to be increasingly more difficulty to find online as I've tried to link the ones I've previously purchased from Amazon.

You can also find them at Pet Stores, on line at Drs Foster & Smith and on eBay
Be sure to have antibiotics for people who are allergic to Penicillin including Ciprofloxacin as above and:
Sulfamethoxazole (Septrta)
Tetracycline

Guys, this is a bit risky territory to get into if you dont know what you are doing.

Different infections are caused by different types of bacteria and require different types of antibiotics to treat. They also have side effects and risks associated with them. Plus they have specific doses to be bactericidal and fish doses are certainly going to be different than human doses.

Also, because of the overuse of antibiotics, there is a very good chance that basic antibiotics are not going to work. Unless a patient has strep throat or syphilis, I dont ever prescribe plain penicillin anymore (ampicillin, amoxicillin, penicillin, etc). The resistances are so high these are now basically useless.

I routinely have patients with bladder infections where the bacteria is resistant to 9 out of the 13 available antibiotics. Most of traditionally used antibiotics dont work anymore.

Most skin infections require antibiotics that cover MRSA (the resistant staph). Sometime like 30% of the time these will be resistant as well. Traditional antibiotics used for skin infections from cuts and scrapes dont work anymore.

Another risk of using antibiotics is getting a secondary infection like C Diff (clostridium difficile) colon infection. We are seeing more of these complications. You take the wrong antibiotics for a cough and you end up dying of severe diarrhea because C Diff is only treatable by 2 specific antibiotics and one you will hardly ever find even in the pharmacies (oral vancomycin).

So my warning here is YOU MAY DO MORE HARM to yourself or your family using fish antibiotics in emergency situations.

Guys, this is a bit risky territory to get into if you dont know what you are doing.

Different infections are caused by different types of bacteria and require different types of antibiotics to treat. They also have side effects and risks associated with them. Plus they have specific doses to be bactericidal and fish doses are certainly going to be different than human doses.

Also, because of the overuse of antibiotics, there is a very good chance that basic antibiotics are not going to work. Unless a patient has strep throat or syphilis, I dont ever prescribe plain penicillin anymore (ampicillin, amoxicillin, penicillin, etc). The resistances are so high these are now basically useless.

I routinely have patients with bladder infections where the bacteria is resistant to 9 out of the 13 available antibiotics. Most of traditionally used antibiotics dont work anymore.

Most skin infections require antibiotics that cover MRSA (the resistant staph). Sometime like 30% of the time these will be resistant as well. Traditional antibiotics used for skin infections from cuts and scrapes dont work anymore.

Another risk of using antibiotics is getting a secondary infection like C Diff (clostridium difficile) colon infection. We are seeing more of these complications. You take the wrong antibiotics for a cough and you end up dying of severe diarrhea because C Diff is only treatable by 2 specific antibiotics and one you will hardly ever find even in the pharmacies (oral vancomycin).

So my warning here is YOU MAY DO MORE HARM to yourself or your family using fish antibiotics in emergency situations.
I know it, I am more of the mindset of, in a pinch if antibiotics are not readily accessible, if one runs the risk of dying from septicemia and the only way to stave off death is the use of antibiotics and fish antibiotics are the ONLY thing available...

Be careful. Use only when very sick with disease states that can be addressed with such. Just using them is not intelligent and perhaps dangerous. Just saying. Perhaps a steep learning curve regarding various illnesses.

HB of CJ (retarded--er--retired PM RN)

Ive been buying them for years. I keep them around for emergencies and such and have never had to use them but its nice knowing they are around if I do need them.

FWIW many , if not all, of the fish antibiotics are just repackaged pharma grade antibiotics.

I was pretty sure last weekend that I needed some sort of ___cillin for my raging red strep throat with telltale yellow/white streaks.

Glad I went to the doc even though a Sunday visit will cost me a LOT when my dwindling insurance coverage reneges (thanks Democrats).

According to the doctor, I would've bought the wrong antibiotic had I gone that route. AND, I had severe post nasal drip irritation (with whitish tonsillectomy scars), NOT strep.

Should I keep a refrigerated stash for life threatening emergencies in a SHTF situation? Probably. But I have a lot of research to do before I swing by Petco on a shopping spree.

Ive been buying them for years. I keep them around for emergencies and such and have never had to use them but its nice knowing they are around if I do need them.

FWIW many , if not all, of the fish antibiotics are just repackaged pharma grade antibiotics.

Can you give me an example? I'm curious to how they are packaged and dosed and if they even come close to a therapeutic human dose

I know it, I am more of the mindset of, in a pinch if antibiotics are not readily accessible, if one runs the risk of dying from septicemia and the only way to stave off death is the use of antibiotics and fish antibiotics are the ONLY thing available...

That is a tough one. I have 3 month food storage and water storage at the ready but I have no antibiotics at home. I think my mindset is that if I wanted to be realistically prepared with antibiotics for a situation so bad that I'd never have access to emergency care that I'd need to stock a small pharmacy worth of meds. If I was in that situation I think I'd rather make sure I had a easy way to put myself out of my misery since what ever small supply of fish antibiotics I had would most likely not work. I'd think I'd want a giant dose of morphine at that point instead of an antibiotic.

Pessimistic view but realistic knowing what I know about infection management.

Can you give me an example? I'm curious to how they are packaged and dosed and if they even come close to a therapeutic human dose

On several of the pill types they are identical to what the pharmacies will give you down to the markings on the pill and numbering. The "Fish Cycline" is a good example. Ive been prescribed Tetracycline before for a UTI and found the pills to be 100% identical to the fish cycline pills I picked up off ebay for $10 a bottle.

Unfortunately they do not market "Fish Morphine" .

On several of the pill types they are identical to what the pharmacies will give you down to the markings on the pill and numbering. The "Fish Cycline" is a good example. Ive been prescribed Tetracycline before for a UTI and found the pills to be 100% identical to the fish cycline pills I picked up off ebay for $10 a bottle.

Moonshine...:D (not sure if the show on TV is real but it is entertaining...)

Thanks, Interesting.

the Fish doses seem to be in 250mg packets. Unless treating malaria most human treatment dose is 500 mg.

But, I'd honestly question your doctor if you were given tetracycline as a first choice for a UTI. Since it has been around a long time most bacteria are now resistant to tetracycline. It still has uses for treating chlamydia, lyme and malaria and some other rare infections. In 20 years I've only prescribed it once to treat a UTI with an extremely rare bacteria.

For example with normal UTI management, there are at least 10 other antibiotics I'd use first and would only resort to tetracycline if the patient was allergic to everything else or I had a bacterial culture showing the tetracycline would actually work.

on a quick search I'm seeing over 80% resistance in e coli (most common UTI bacteria) to tetracycline.

Tetracycline is also rarely used because it has a ton of possible side effects and cant be used in pregnancy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top