1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

First WA execution since 2001

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by twoclones, Sep 10, 2010.

1. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

People voice opinions over death penalty - KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

I've been told that "capital punishment is not a deterrent" but I really doubt Cal Coburn Brown will be re-offending.

People voice opinions over death penalty
    Posted: Sep 10, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
    Updated: Sep 10, 2010 4:30 AM PDT

NEW WALLA WALLA, Wash. - People showed up to oppose and support capital punishment at the Washington State Penitentiary.

There were about two dozen protestors against the death penalty and about 10 people for it. Washington State Troopers and prison guards were also on hand to keep the calm. Many of the people out there said they base their opinions on legal and moral reasons.

"On a legal stand point anyone would think that killing one innocent person should make the death penalty wrong, why would we keep it in place when we are going to risk killing innocent people," said Shar Lichtey, who is against the death penalty.

"I just look at it as if that happened to one of my family members what I would want done. More than anything I'm just asking for gods will to be done here tonight," said Mark Clark, who is for the death penalty.

More than 50 people showed up to the prison. But, there was also another group of people who held their own prayer service at the Saint Patrick's Catholic church.
  2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Cal Coburn Brown's final statement before death

"first to the family of Holly Washa, I have to say to you that I understand your feelings and your enmity and hatred towards me. I hold no enmity toward you. I hope that the actions taken tonight will give you closure, the closure that you seek. I forgive you for any hatred that you have toward me. I have no complaints about my treatment by the staff at the prison for the last 17 years I've spent here. They are very professional. As far as the state of Washington and King County, I protest based on disparity of sentencing. The Green River Killer, Gary Ridgeway, and Robert Yates raped and tortured and killed many women and they were spared the death penalty. I raped and killed one person, I don't see the true justice in that. Hopefully sometime in the future this gets straightened out. Thank you, God Bless you, and God Bless my family."
  3. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

C.P. should never be viewed as a deterrant, but as the legal removal of a cancer from the flesh of society. If it deters only one miscreant from copying the crime, so be it.
  4. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

5. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

- too often (more than never would be too often, and it happens with disturbing frequence) innocent people get treated as guilty
    - it costs me MORE in taxes to have a criminal killed than to just jail him for life. A lot more in fact, and that is ridiculous

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with disposing of human waste, but the way we go about it doesn't work. I don't particularly care about the difference between life in prison and death, they both have the same end effect--he is gone forever from the streets--so I'd rather they use the cheaper option. Then there are all the problems inherent to any legal system. There is no real way to make absolutely certain someone is guilty, and occasionally innocent people make their way to death row. How many times has this not been caught? No one can know...

As such, with the current system, I am opposed to capital punishment. If a burglar breaks into your home and threatens your life, do me a favor and aim carefully though. Then the obviously guilty are gone forever and it only costs maybe a dollar. :)
  6. XdM

XdM Vancouver Member

The money spent on the death penalty itself isn't a huge cost. The cost comes from trials, appeals, appointing defendants attorneys, etc...

There are generally two schools of thought:
    1. Eliminate the death penalty - saving hundreds of millions of dollars a year.
    2. Set some sort of limit on appeals (which many consider unconstitutional). Quite a few death penalty cases make it all the way to the USSC, which takes up time/money/etc...

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center
  7. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I hoped others would see! ;)

This part was a bunch of BS too. Nowhere does he ask for forgiveness.

My only regrets are that they didn't torture him to the point of mortal fear and begging for it to stop before they killed him. ;)
  9. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

He should've been put to death for being stupid. More people should.

Someone already commented on the cost of appeals and death penalty. The Chinese, IMO, have it right in how they do things. And yes, there will be some wrongly convicted but if you overhaul the system of evidence collection and evaluation, justice system, and enforcement you can reduce that number to a fraction of what it is today.

And to the question of whether or not it's worth doing if even one innocent person dies? It comes down to personal choice of whether that price is too high or whether the greater good is supported.
  10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

It took 17 years to flush this turd? WAY too long.
  11. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

People forget that he raped and tortured this girl for 36 hours...yea that's right, a couple DAYS being tortured with a blow drier and some electrical cords before he killed Holly and threw her in her own car trunk to rot.

Cal Brown was a tard...all the other killers pled guilty to commute their sentence to life while Cal Brown fought it to the very end, costing tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars and the family almost two decades before they found closure.

Next up- DAROLD R.J. STENSON