JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These were caught on my first fishing trip to B.C. on the Telkwa River near Topley and Houston. The Telkwa empties into the Bulkley, where I caught my first steelhead, and the Bulkley empties into the famous waters of the Babine River system, which empties into the ocean near Prince Rupert.

Dolly Varden
Photos&Scans 501.jpg

First steelhead (caught by fishing a homemade drift spinner loaned to me by an old guy that was part of our fishing party... he had already caught two and I wasn't getting any bites. Water was gin clear. The spinner was a couple of small barrel swivels, a couple of split rings, a small #2 or #3 Indiana nickle blade, and a single point hook, 5ft of leader, under a 6" slinky.)
Photos&Scans 498.jpg

30+ years ago... hat, waders, camo sweatie, vest, and dark hair, are all gone... Still got the operator beard tho! :D

Last Edited:
Cool, glad you finally made time.;)

Sorry but no pics of my first fly caught fish, It was caught before portable cameras could be taken in the field. LOL although I was eight or nine years old and using a popper for bass in a North Carolina river. Good times in an era gone by.

LOL although I was eight or nine years old and using a popper for bass in a North Carolina river. Good times in an era gone by.

I did a lot of that in the Pasquatank (sp?) River when I was stationed in Elizabeth City NC in 1977-8. Used a 9' Eagle Claw flyrod with a #9 floating line and a huge popper for bass. Had smaller poppers that worked well on Bluegill...

I still have some of my gear from back then in a storage box up in the garage loft... Some 9" purple plastic worms, some huge Rapala for Stripers and Bluefish. Last year I sold the Ambassadeur 5500C reel that I bought there, but I still have the 3000D and the 5' heavy worm rod. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
First silver salmon on a fly rod. Outside of Talkeetna, AK. Alaska fishing really will ruin you. But I was standing right next to some healthy bear prints in the sand when I caught him. Possible there was a large caliber revolver in my chest pack...

4777C802-EEC8-45BE-A45C-FD0BE6F6B1C0.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads