JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been meaning to get more into fly fishing for almost 20 years. Finally decided that this is the year! Here is my first trout, about a 15 inch rainbow. Who else has pics of their first fly rod catch (doesn't have to be trout)?

IMG_1794~2.JPG

Nice!!!

No photos to share....once in Outback Idaho I was using my favorite 5wt fly rod & caught a slightly smaller rainbow than yours, then a very nice cutthroat out of the same pool on sequential casts. :):):)

I might have it. Will have to dig in my computer. It was a very small fish, probably 5"-6" long, but I remeber it being the prettiest and most rewarding fish I had ever seen.

Fly fishing is an art, and it's addictive. Welcome to the club. :)

I'm hooked. I think about it all day. I try to get out a couple times a week, even if it's just to a little local lake to practice casting. I already have two pilgrimages in the back of my mind, for once I'm better. One back east to a hike in only stream, and one to the New Zealand backcountry. Then the wife wants to go to Patagonia. I guess I'll try to find time. She's my best catch!

I'm hooked. I think about it all day. I try to get out a couple times a week, even if it's just to a little local lake to practice casting. I already have two pilgrimages in the back of my mind, for once I'm better. One back east to a hike in only stream, and one to the New Zealand backcountry. Then the wife wants to go to Patagonia. I guess I'll try to find time. She's my best catch!
the Deschutes from above Maupin to the Columbia is a decent trout stream too.

Nice one! I started flyfishing for searun cutthroat in the salt 40 years ago and still enjoy it to this day. I have successfully flyfished for Salmon, Steelhead, panfish, bass, surfperch and trout. These days I mostly only flyfish for the searun cutts due to my easy access to the fishery and their abundance. It is all C and R but I highly recommend finding an area to chase them as they are pound for pound one of the best fighters out there with a flare for taking to the air! Tight lines.

Last Edited:
No idea where the pictures are, but i know there is my first fish on the fly at the age of 9!
I find it relaxing to flyfish, even "Serious" like Steelhead fishing! Wait till you discover the joys amd addiction of casting Spey rods!:D
Adds another layer of cool factor to the mix, AND it opens up waters you couldnt fish any other way! Then there is tying your own flies and catching your first fish on ypur own patterns, and building your own rods too!:)
Its a sickness!

No idea where the pictures are, but i know there is my first fish on the fly at the age of 9!
I find it relaxing to flyfish, even "Serious" like Steelhead fishing! Wait till you discover the joys amd addiction of casting Spey rods!:D
Adds another layer of cool factor to the mix, AND it opens up waters you couldnt fish any other way! Then there is tying your own flies and catching your first fish on ypur own patterns, and building your own rods too!:)
Its a sickness!
Back when I guided for largemouth bass in the midwest 40 years ago I built my own bass casting rods. That gets additive too. :)

Last Edited:
More than decent, folks come from all over the world to fish it. :)
The Umpqua and Metolius are great places to go as well. Congratulations on your first fish.
I grew up fishing the Carson River between CA and NV. Much the same terrain and conditions. I think the Carson was better, but that's just my childhood memories. The Deschutes may be better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top