Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First time visitor, poster, and new to AR world

Discussion in 'Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply' started by JefferZ71, Dec 1, 2013.

1. JefferZ71

JefferZ71 Boring New Member

I am in the market to buy my first AR so I stopped by Curt's the other day, along with plenty of other stores. I was leaning toward buying a Wyndham and then I walked in to Curt's. He was very willing to answer my questions and directed my attention to the three AR kits they have. Consisting of a complete Anderson lower and upper; not assembled, a mag, and a case. The Wyndham I found for $789, minus sites but optics ready. The kits at Curt's ranged from $599 to $649, minus sites.
    I'm curious if anyone on this forum has purchased one of these kits, and if so, what is your opinion/experience with them.
    I've done some research and have found very mixed reviews of the Anderson product. So should I spend the extra money and get a proven product?
    Please any help with be very welcome.

2. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Welcome too the AR world and get ready for the wallet to get substantially lighter:laugh: As for the Anderson I could not help as I have only purchased one pre built rifle and it was a Del Ton years ago. Since then I found billet and have not looked back. I also like to tinker so building my own is relaxing and fun for me. Good luck on the rifle and going with something from Curts you can not go wrong. Great business and great guy to deal with.

Also might want to post the question in General Firearms or Rifle/Shotgun discussion as it will get more views.

3. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Curt's kit's are good to go. If an issue ever does arise, you have support. Upgrades, changes, etc., you have an expert behind it.
    We are very lucky to have a supplier like Curt in our general area. Very lucky!!

As to the Anderson lowers, they make the TROS lowers, 2 of which I have built. Very nice, and no problems. Top tier IMHO stuff.

4. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Welcome Jeffer, I was in your shoes a year ago. Couldn't find an affordable modern sporting rifle during the panic so piece by piece, pay check by paycheck I built one. Had a rifle since I was 10 years old but first MSR this year. Enjoy, lots of wise folks on this forum on the EBR, also, lots of wiseacres, myself included. I might build another for the spousal unit.

Brutus Out

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The barrel is the heart of an AR15. I built my gal's new 16 inch carbine with a Yankee Hill diamond fluted barrel and we couldn't be happier. Another good mod is an oversized charging handle latch and folding BUIS.. I went with the poly Magpul rear and a Yankee Hill front steel folder

If you were nearby I would be happy to assist, I have all the tools and have built several nice AR15s. There may be a forum member near you who can help

6. JefferZ71

JefferZ71 Boring New Member

I didn't think about that part, the after purchase support. Although I do know that Wyndham has a lifetime warranty, it would be nice to have a local place that would be able to handle any issues I may have. I have heard nothing but great things about this store. I personally have always been loyal to Northwest Armory, but may give Curt my business in this category anyway.....
    May just go with an entry level optic on it and still be less than what I would pay for the Wyndham without sights....

7. oneharmonic

oneharmonic Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I purchased an Anderson AR kit from Curt's and I'm very happy with it. It's a solid rifle as is; just get a rear sight and/or optic and you're ready for the range.