JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Sportsman's Warehouse shopping for reloading stuff today and I was after a can each of Unique and Bullseye and I noticed the price for each went up $3 to $21.99 a lb. so, purely on a 'whim' I began to shop around thinking it was time to try something a little less expensive so I picked up a can of Titegroup. I see many use it and it was $4 less per pound. Anyway if anyone would like to share any 'pet' loads you have developed with Titgroup (9mm, .357 Mag, .45 ACP) I would appreciate it as a place to start. Thanks.

Check the thread for "Universal handgun powder". A guy or two there suggested Titegroup and may have some insight for you.

I used to use Unique but then started doing cowboy action. About 90% seem to use titegroup. Worked up some competition loads and have been really happy with it. I'm now using it for 357 and 45. My buddy likes it for 9mm. Best part is you can load like a gozillion rounds with 1 lb!!!

For 9mm I'm using 3.6gr of Titegroup under a 147gr Xtreme plated bullet. Runs very well in my Uzi, but they like a hot load. I've previously been using VV N320 but switched to Titegroup for a slightly cheaper powder. I'm going to switch back after calculating it's only a few $ more per thousand rounds for the N320.

My 45ACp pet load: 5.0gr Titegroup under any bullet between 185gr and 230gr. Regardless of bullet weight, if plated or cast bullet, you will get around 850fps in a 5in bbl if seating to approx same OAL. With jacketed, about 50fps slower. Yeap, sounds crazy, but I've found it to be true.

I won't use Unique any more, it binds up my thrower too much, wasting too much time weighing.

I started with Titegroup for everything in November, 9mm, .38sp, .45acp and then .40, works fine. I've found that w231 measures better though, and HS-6 is what works best in the CZ .40.

Mike

My 45ACp pet load: 5.0gr Titegroup under any bullet between 185gr and 230gr. Regardless of bullet weight, if plated or cast bullet, you will get around 850fps in a 5in bbl if seating to approx same OAL. With jacketed, about 50fps slower. Yeap, sounds crazy, but I've found it to be true.

I also ran about the same load in .45 ACP and get similar velocities; I am very happy with the accuracy of the 185's and Titegroup. Sidenote- .44 RemMag 180 gn XTP's over 11.0 gns of Titegroup produces 1360 FPS average (7.5" bbl) with great accuracy and clean ignition. It is certainly a very practical "utility" powder that shouldn't be overlooked.

Be careful. I have found TiteGroup and Clays to be very load sensitive and show sudden pressure increases. I also didn't like the narrow range in loads from start to max.
I've tried, but in my guns it will never will a target competition.
Also, even using VV powder will only raise your cost/round by a penny, so don't buy powder by price but by performance in your gun. Your cost of bullets will completely mask any savings you think you are making with an inexpensive powder.
Also, as I remember, TiteGroup comes in a 14oz can, rather than 1lb...

Titegroup is a 1lb, clays is a 14oz.

I've found titegroup to be a very elastic powder and performs well over a wide variety of conditions, I even use it for loading subsonic ammo in .308 and .223 rem.

My current load (that I'm running all the titegroup in) is 9mm, I'm running 3.5grs behind a 124gr FMJ.

At the ammo factory we used titegroup for a huge number of cartridges, by gross estimation, I've probably loaded several thousand pounds of titegroup over the years and have nothing but good things to say about it.

At the ammo factory we used titegroup for a huge number of cartridges, by gross estimation, I've probably loaded several thousand pounds of titegroup over the years and have nothing but good things to say about it.

That's in the hands of a professional. It's amazing the number of "KaBoom" accounts posted on the "net" where pistols have been at the least disabled, and at the worst, destroyed, and the shooter was loading his own with Titegroup.

Not only a narrow band of acceptable loads but also easy in pistol cartridges to double charge. Even if not double charged, small errors in weight on the upper end can cause issues. From the benign like pressure signs to major case failures.

I'm not sure I understand the "one powder for all loads" desire. For my "bench" I prefer to use the best powder for the specific cartridge. I compromise with my wife, not my handloads.

Also, even using VV powder will only raise your cost/round by a penny, so don't buy powder by price but by performance in your gun. Your cost of bullets will completely mask any savings you think you are making with an inexpensive powder.

I decided to go back to VV for my 9mm and 45 loads when I calculated it only cost me ~$5 more per thousand for 45 vs. Titegroup.

That's in the hands of a professional. It's amazing the number of "KaBoom" accounts posted on the "net" where pistols have been at the least disabled, and at the worst, destroyed, and the shooter was loading his own with Titegroup.

Not only a narrow band of acceptable loads but also easy in pistol cartridges to double charge. Even if not double charged, small errors in weight on the upper end can cause issues. From the benign like pressure signs to major case failures.

I'm not sure I understand the "one powder for all loads" desire. For my "bench" I prefer to use the best powder for the specific cartridge. I compromise with my wife, not my handloads.

Realistically, when it comes to some of the small charge pistol calibers (.32 S&W, 9mm etc) it is possible to overcharge the case, but I don't blame the powder for sloppy loading technique. This is a huge reason why I always push people into single stage loader before they get into a progressive. However with the number of relatively cheap progressive loaders on the market, it's easy to blame the powder or components from a failure of either the loader or the equipment.

However, the "do all" powder is a myth, just like the cowboy combo. Titegroup performs well for light/medium loads for small capacity auto pistols, for hotter loads, HS-6, PB, or SR4756 can be better choices. The thing is, every powder has a very narrow performance window in a small case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top