JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got bit by the bug to look into a suppressor when I heard that Ruger was releasing threaded barrel Mark IIIs at SHOT. Today Davidson's sent me an email that they had 78 in stock . . . I was tempted and ordered one. (I saw they sold out in about 15 minutes).

So, I saw there were some people posting on this about a year ago, but I'm wondering will Multnomah County Sheriff Staton sign form 4s? Does anyone have any recent experience on this? Or, should I plan on going the trust route?

Also, does anyone have any experiences with some of the different .22 suppressors on the market? From what I've read it sounds like the Gem-Tech Outback II, the Silencerco 22 Sparrow, and the SWR Spectre. It's my understanding that these all disassemble for cleaning. Any strong opinions on any of these? Are there others I should consider? Avoid?

After getting great, detailed advice from Pat at Oregon Research Labs (Oregon_Research_Labs-LLC) I chose a SWR Warlock. I just don't need one that disassembles. The Warlock isn't just shorter and cheaper, it's also less than half the weight of a similar can that comes apart.

I weighed it before I first used it, and I'll keep track of the buildup in it, but I don't expect to send it in for cleaning in the next decade or so. Hot water works fine, dilute vinegar would be even better, and you know what? It's quieter now than when it was brand new, which is what I was told to expect. So keeping it squeaky-clean isn't ideal in any case.

It's so quiet that I usually shoot it dry, and afterwards I can pour out a fine brownish powder from it. When rinsed with hot water, what comes out is greenish clear liquid. I'm glad that I went for the sealed can - it's one less thing to mess with, and the light weight makes a difference when it's perched on the end of a rifle.

Depending on how much you shoot will depend on if sealed will work out for you or not is how much you shoot. I plugged up my first sealed .22 can in under 5 years, it happens.

While the SWR does make great cans (I own a Trident) the info you posted above is not true. The Outback 2 is 5" vs 5.8" long, both are 1" diameter, the OB2 is 2.5 oz compared to 3.3 oz, and the OB2 is a factory take apart can now.

I have 2 older OB2's that I have modified to take apart and really like both. I like them for their small size and low weight especially when used on pistols. There are lots of other great cans out there too but many are 2-3x the weight and some are also larger.

Thanks for the information folks. I appreciate it. I'm entirely new to the suppressor thing, but it sounds like this cold be an awful lot of fun. It was my intention to put a lot of rounds through it, so I'm putting a pretty high value on the ability of the suppressor to be disassembled.

I'm also really curious about people's experience dealing with the Multnomah County Sheriff's office to get a form 4 signed. After I made my first post, I looked around their website a little and found this: http://www.mcso.us/public/ATF.html. Which gave me the impression that they will sign, but they want you to pay $35 for a background check in addition to all the other fees. I'm just wondering if anyone has been through that process or if this is very new.

I'm going to call on Monday and ask some questions anyway, but if there's anyone out here with firsthand experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Nate,

Sorry, got busy at work, and let my hobby fall by the wayside for a while. I'm going to make myself a note to call the Sheriff's Office soon, and I'll report back when I know something. I'll have my funds in the next couple months to go forward with my purchase. I'll give you all the play by play as I do it.

Following a lengthy conversation with Oregon Brass (Brian at Rapid Fire Arms in Sandy) I think I decided to go for the 22 Sparrow from Silencerco. There were lots of good videos online about it too, and I convinced myself that the ability to clean it was pretty darn important.

In terms of paperwork, Brian's advice to me was that establishing a trust for NFA items was hinkey at best, and could potentially cause problems if a LEO in the forest while you were out shooting asked for your paperwork and you couldn't immediately satisfy him or her that you were indeed an officer of your trust. He felt that the extra hurdles of going a Chief LEO signature and having the suppressor personally registered were worth it. He said that he had had customers from Multnomah successfully get Chief LEO signatures from the Sheriff's office. The "ATF Information Form" from the sheriff's office and $35 charge sounded new to him. It sounds like I ought to act while Staton is Sheriff and seems reasonably pro 2A.

Best

Kenny

I have a couple of SilencerCo suppressors, including the original Sparrow. I'm sending it in to get upgraded with the stainless core of the new SS Sparrow. I like their products and very much like their customer service. Can highly recommend them.

Thought about a trust? Avoids CLEO signoff, passport photos, and fingerprinting.

Im in Multnomah county too, and have several NFA items, including a .22lr suppressor. I got a mite, it's ok. Go with new surefire .22lr can ($500), new Gemtech can ($400ish?) or Spectre ($400 or so), they're all good cans. I have a trust, easy to do took 30 minutes and a trip to a notary.

I have a couple of SilencerCo suppressors, including the original Sparrow. I'm sending it in to get upgraded with the stainless core of the new SS Sparrow. I like their products and very much like their customer service. Can highly recommend them.

Thought about a trust? Avoids CLEO signoff, passport photos, and fingerprinting.

How does a trust work for class 3? I'm all ears..

+1. If there's a ready template out there, please let me know. I have a notary available to me at work, so it would be super easy for me to take of.

I bought and used quicken willmaker, cost $40. Just build a revocable living trust, print it out and have it notarized. Get a photocopy and send the copy in with the form. When filling out the form, don't check the individual box, check the corporation one. Fill out with name of trust. No fingerprints, no photos, no sherriff's signature. Call the ATF once a week after they cash the check. When you get it back approved you will have to do a background check. There's lots of step by step tutorials for this kind of thing, google it.

How does a trust work for class 3? I'm all ears..

It's a legal entity like an LLC or corporation, it holds (owns) the NFA goodies. Unlike an individual, it has no fingerprints or photographs to take and does not require CLEO signoff. Unlike an LLC or corp, there is no minimum tax for a trust in Oregon.
You have a couple of options in creating a trust, lawyer or draft it yourself with Quicken Willmaker. I went with Willmaker several years ago and have multiple items held in trust. It took about half an hour to create with the software and five minutes to run to the bank and get it notarized. In Oregon, once it's notarized it's legal, no requirement to file with the state so it's private. You do have to send a copy of the trust with your Forms 1 or 4 when you submit them to the ATF.
For you Costco members, they currently have Willmaker 2011 with bonus trust software included for $30 shipped at costco dot com. Be aware that the 2009 and 2010 versions DO NOT have the trust software so don't buy an older version or you'll be screwed.
Other things important to know: you want a Revocable Living Trust, it can amended as needed; your local dealer uses a 4473 to get NFA items off his book, if you use a trust or other method that does not have a background check done at the ATF then a NICS check is required on the person picking up the NFA item from the dealer; trusts can be written so that multiple people can legally have possession of the NFA item, if you get your NFA goodies as an individual then you must be in control of the items at times (either in your possession or locked up so no one else can use them, someone else using them with you present is ok, though.)

another link

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads