JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after reading joeys post on obama and our gun rights, I think we should have a shoot that is focused on people who have never shot a gun before. I know there are all people we know who haven't shot a gun before, and if we invite them to an organized event where the focus is first time shooters, they might be more apt to going. We should at least get one new shooter each to come to the event with us. The newbie can shoot one of your guns, and maybe we can buy each of our newbies some rounds to show how generous us gun folk are. I think the place off the 26 where the 8/11 shoot was is a good place, or memaloose. Maybe we can shoot some tannerite, watermelons, water jugs and other fun stuff. I think a picnic idea is good, too. Make an event out of it, to show newbies how much fun us gun folk are. And if we get enough people, maybe we can give away a gun (like a jimenez or hipoint, 10/22, I'll donate money for this,), or maybe the gun giveaway isn't such a great idea. The only problem I can think for this shoot is the weather, but I think we can scrounge up enough awnings to make it comfortable. What do you guys think? We should invite the OSU beavers basketball coach (he is obama's brother in law). I think it's a great way to show those we interact with how fun, safe and satisfying shooting is.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BRINGING SOMEONE TO THIS EVENT, PLEASE POST HERE HOW MANY PEOPLE. PLEASE FIRST ASK THEM IF THEY WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING THIS, AND IF THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON THE WEEKENDS TO DO THIS. THANK YOU.

I think it's a great idea. Like you said, the weather isn't too comfortable during this time of the year, but like you said we could probably make something work.

I think we should get at least 10 of us to get 10 newbies to come to the event. Maybe we can plan this for Dec. 6th, a saturday? If you are interested in doing this, please post on this thread and let the thread know how your newbie hunt is going.

Yeah we should gauge interest before setting a date. I'm not sure if I can plant the seed and cultivate enough interest in the non-shooters I know in one month's time.

This is a Brilliant idea. My brother-in law is determined to get a gun he can carry while hiking alone deep in the mountains. I don't know that he has ever shot a gun, if he has it was better than 20 years ago. I'm sure I could even round up a few more people. This would be awesome!

I think this is a great idea. My two-bits (three-, four-) of advice:

1) Make sure you you have plenty of .22's available for the new people to shoot. Nothing like starting someone out with a larger caliber to make them never want to shoot again. One of the main reasons I bought a .22 pistol is to take new shooters out.

I took my mother-in-law to the range for the first time last weekend. She has (had?) a phobia of guns, so this was a big deal. Started her out with a .22 pistol, tried .38 spl out of a 686, and then a few rounds through a G19. My father-in-law had a small XD that was really too much for her to handle - certainly for a first shoot. If she'd shot that gun alone, she probably would have shot it once, put it down, and never shot again. Instead, we had her shoot five times with four different guns. Not a bad start.

2) I'd suggest finding a managed, public range to do a first-time shoot with new folks. I think the structure of a formal range helps build credibility around the idea that shooting is a safe, controlled, normal sport. Also, these ranges tend to be covered (at least, up here) so that solves some of your weather issues. Not to say that you can't operate a gravel-pit range in a safe manner, but it takes a bit more work. I'd also save the tannerite for later.

We shot at an indoor range with the mother-in-law & I think seeing other people there (someone brought their young daughter, another guy was checking on getting a family membership) helped reinforce the idea that shooting is a normal activity that regular folks do. A lot of this is about perceptions.

3) Drawing for a 10/22 or other basic rifle might not be a bad idea. Good for a new shooter & affordable to obtain. Something like a Cricket might also work.

4) Get one of the instructor-types on here to do a basic firearms safety & operation lecture before the shoot starts. Good to get everyone on the same page.

5) Food is a good idea - drag a BBQ out if it's not raining.

Excellent idea!! I can round up at least one person for this.

I am more than happy to let new shooters try out my 10/22T.

One more vote for a formal range setting. I think the atmosphere is much more structured so those that may be nervous at least don't have to worry about the "rednecks" down the way shooting at the beer cans they just finished.

ABSOLUTELY if we can get a good instructor to attend and give some instruction, that would be amazing.

We also have to be sure and step back, as people that all know each other (more or less) and are already experienced with guns, and make the emphasis of the day made known to them. We certainly don't want them to feel like tag-alongs or outsiders! This is all about them.

Perhaps even go so far as to leave the AK's, AR's, and pistol grip shotgun type guns at home. Already enough stereotypes on them, let's introduce them to guns that are more "ok" and then show them on the next outing that they're all just guns.

Great points. I am not sure if an indoor range would work, as I don't know how costly this should get. It sounds like a great idea, though. I am thinking the Portland Rifle and Pistol club, as it seems they have a kitchen and meeting room with a fireplace, maybe if I become a member they will donate or rent it out for the day?

What should be the focus, handguns or rifles? I am sure we will do both, maybe start out with rifles to let them hit stuff then move em onto handguns?

.22's are what I was thinking of after I posted this. It makes the most sense.

As far as logistics, I think that we should have an introduction about guns given by one of us, safety rules, etc.. Then, depending on the layout, we can have the newbies shoot .22's for while, and then dedicate a spot/lane to different calibers, where the newbies can get in line to shoot, if they want to. Food can be served before or after the shooting, maybe before so they can focus with a full stomach.

Us stepping back and letting the newbies interact is a good idea, too. So no shooting for us, unless it is to show them how to do it.

A cricket is a great idea for a giveaway, very cheap.

After interest has been gauged, and a date is picked, I will start seeing what I can do about procuring all the necessities for this event. I am pretty good at getting things donated, so hopefully that will be the case for most of this.

Does anyone have a non-profit business? I am not sure how the whole tax write-off thing works, but maybe if someone does have one, we can use it to get donations? Maybe we can get a sponsor, like Joes, Fishermans, or ???

I don't know how this will all work out, but I do know it will be a ton of fun.

First of all, sweetbeard... How has your girl not become a shooter? Considering she's hanging out with you...

Second, who's Obama's brother in Law? Are you joking, or is there really relation with the OSU basketball coach? Is he interested in firearms, or is he like minded to his left-wing brother in law? This is interesting.

Regardless, I'm in. I'll gather some people if you can pinpoint a date and time.

Try to invite the coach.

Second, who's Obama's brother in Law? Are you joking, or is there really relation with the OSU basketball coach? Is he interested in firearms, or is he like minded to his left-wing brother in law? This is interesting.

Regardless, I'm in. I'll gather some people if you can pinpoint a date and time.

Try to invite the coach.

Yes, he is obama's brother in law. His sister is Michelle obama. If you watched obama's speech, his brother in law came out on stage after his speech. I don't know if he is interested in guns or not, but I know he likes basketball, which is a sport, as is shooting. Also, if we rigged the rifle drawing for him to win he might think we are some pretty cool cats, and he might become a gun fanatic, or at least a supporter. His name is Craig Robinson, here is a link to an article about the relation http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/2008/11/osus_robinson_had_best_seat_po.html .

I think that s_ribs and fromotoc have outlined a good model for a new shooter day. I think a focus primarily on .22's (both rifles & pistols) with some larger options available & no "scary, evil" guns is a good idea. Experienced shooters job would be to load magazines, make sure new shooters are operating in a safe manner, give minor instruction/suggestions, and mostly stand back.

If a date is selected that works out with my schedule, I'd probably drive all the way down from Seattle to support this. (assuming my wife lets me :s0114:).

I definately have some newbie type guns!!!

And some small caliber machine guns...those I can break out when they are comfortable shooting the .22.

The permagrin will last forever!!!!!

I am in, just let me know.

I will prolly bring 3 others.

:s0155:

Machine guns sound like fun, but I don't think it is something that we want to show them on their first day out. We will be leaving our ar's and ak's at home or in the trunk, so as not to give the newbies the impression that we are all crazy owners of those evil rifles. I think machine guns might give off that impression, too.

Machine guns sound like fun, but I don't think it is something that we want to show them on their first day out. We will be leaving our ar's and ak's at home or in the trunk, so as not to give the newbies the impression that we are all crazy owners of those evil rifles. I think machine guns might give off that impression, too.

OK, so you want the newbies to see that when people go out and shoot, all they will see are small caliber things,

Then when they go to the next shoot...they see all the big stuff that goes boom and rat-a-tat-tat.

Talk about SHELL SHOCK,

I am still in, but I will bring them "Just in case" :winkkiss:

OK, so you want the newbies to see that when people go out and shoot, all they will see are small caliber things,

Then when they go to the next shoot...they see all the big stuff that goes boom and rat-a-tat-tat.

Talk about SHELL SHOCK,

I am still in, but I will bring them "Just in case" :winkkiss:

There won't only be small caliber guns. I will bring a .45acp 1911, but the focus of this event is to introduce new shooters to guns. There will probably be very un gun loving women there, and I am sure that a fully automatic, and to a new shooter uncontrollable gun would freak them out, and turn them off guns completely, which is not what this event is about. I love auto guns, and if this was a shoot for us on the forum, I would be all about that. But this shoot is to introduce new shooters to shooting. If you taught someone to drive by sticking them in a porsche and telling them to go as fast as they can, they would either love driving or hate it. The chance that someone will be turned off to shooting by the full auto factor is why it isn't appropriate to allow them to shoot it. Bring them if you like, but please don't bring them out of the trunk.

And yes, introducing them with small caliber guns and only semi auto guns is the right choice. I started off with .22's and a 12 gauge, and I don't think I would have been hooked on guns if I started off with a full auto. The reason we enjoy the full autos so much is that we are soo used to semi auto, we know our guns and the limitations, and when we shoot full autos it is something new and undiscovered/restricted for most of us. To a new shooter, a .22 rifle and .22 handguns present easy shooting, and the idea is to get them to like shooting, and tell them that there are much bigger/better options out there. Also, if we are going to a public range, I don't know if they will even allow full auto's in their facility.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top