JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to sell a pistol for the first time...WA state...have a prospective buyer in the Midwest...do I just have my FFL transfer the pistol to the buyer's FFL, and I then don't have to worry about my liability regarding who that buyer is/is not?
Also, I can't see sending the pistol until I get payment - but do buyer's generally trust sellers with actually sending the pistol after they've received the $? I can't say I'd be that trusting...
Is it customary for the buyer to pay all costs (transfer fee, shipping, and their background check)?
Just want it to go smoothly and not get burned...
Thoughts?

Since you have the gun, it is pretty hard for you to get "burnt". Shipping the gun to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence is the only way that you can sell a handgun interstate. The receiving FFL enters it into their bound book, as required by the ATF and then "sells" it to your customer, so they are recorded as the owner. Your liability ends once it is entered into the dealer's bound book.

You can ship the gun directly to your buyer's FFL (you will need a copy of their license) but to do so you will have to use a transport entity like UPS or FedEx and both require that you use overnight shipping (expensive). I believe that I've recently read that one of these carriers is no longer accepting firearms shipments from individuals, but I don't remember whioh.

Usually the best and least expensive way is to have your FFL ship to the buyer's FFL. There will be a fee charged by your FFL and, again, it is up to you as to how to incorporate it into the sale. FFL's can ship using the USPS, which is usually the most economical. Make sure that it is adequately insured and don't play games with declaring the contents. Think about trying to collect on an insurance claim if you falsely identified the contents as "machine parts" or some other dodge.

Shipping is between you and the buyer - some people include shipping with the price of the gun, others state a fixed rate and some stipulate actual shipping charges.

Trust is on the part of the buyer - they need to do due diligence on the seller and be comfortable with what they find before sending off the funds - the buyer is the one that stands to lose.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Some FFL's won't accept firearm shipments from private sellers, so shipping through your FFL to the buyers FFL is easier for somebody that's never been through the process.
The buyer pays all the freight charges, unless you want to help get the deal done.
The buyer sends you the full amount, including the shipping fees. I prefer USPS money orders, but have been paid through Zell before and it went smoothly.
You can hand the pistol to your FFL and have the buyer contact them to confirm that you're not a scammer and the pistol is as advertised.
I've sold a high dollar collectible pistol to a guy back east who after only one phone conversation sent me the full amount and that was all the interaction I had with him.
Another guy I sold one to was so nervous about sending me the funds, he called me everyday until his FFL received the the package and then he was relived/grateful that the pistol was in better condition then I stated in the ad.
I prefer using Ship My Gun shipping services, as I can calculate the shipping charges before quoting what the total charges will be.

Since you have the gun, it is pretty hard for you to get "burnt". Shipping the gun to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence is the only way that you can sell a handgun interstate. The receiving FFL enters it into their bound book, as required by the ATF and then "sells" it to your customer, so they are recorded as the owner. Your liability ends once it is entered into the dealer's bound book.

You can ship the gun directly to your buyer's FFL (you will need a copy of their license) but to do so you will have to use a transport entity like UPS or FedEx and both require that you use overnight shipping (expensive). I believe that I've recently read that one of these carriers is no longer accepting firearms shipments from individuals, but I don't remember whioh.

Usually the best and least expensive way is to have your FFL ship to the buyer's FFL. There will be a fee charged by your FFL and, again, it is up to you as to how to incorporate it into the sale. FFL's can ship using the USPS, which is usually the most economical. Make sure that it is adequately insured and don't play games with declaring the contents. Think about trying to collect on an insurance claim if you falsely identified the contents as "machine parts" or some other dodge.

Shipping is between you and the buyer - some people include shipping with the price of the gun, others state a fixed rate and some stipulate actual shipping charges.

Trust is on the part of the buyer - they need to do due diligence on the seller and be comfortable with what they find before sending off the funds - the buyer is the one that stands to lose.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Thanks, Pizza Bob!

Some FFL's won't accept firearm shipments from private sellers, so shipping through your FFL to the buyers FFL is easier for somebody that's never been through the process.
The buyer pays all the freight charges, unless you want to help get the deal done.
The buyer sends you the full amount, including the shipping fees. I prefer USPS money orders, but have been paid through Zell before and it went smoothly.
You can hand the pistol to your FFL and have the buyer contact them to confirm that you're not a scammer and the pistol is as advertised.
I've sold a high dollar collectible pistol to a guy back east who after only one phone conversation sent me the full amount and that was all the interaction I had with him.
Another guy I sold one to was so nervous about sending me the funds, he called me everyday until his FFL received the the package and then he was relived/grateful that the pistol was in better condition then I stated in the ad.
I prefer using Ship My Gun shipping services, as I can calculate the shipping charges before quoting what the total charges will be.
Thanks, Jbett98!

If you do decide to ship it yourself, you need to include a color copy (front & back) of your drivers license for the receiving FFL's bound book.
Don't include any ammo with the pistol and make sure the gun is unloaded.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
I'm not an FFL and just shipped a rifle to an FFL in another state via USPS.
Went down like a normal shipment.
Maybe it's different for a pistol ?

Yes, a private individual can ship a long gun via USPS, but only an FFL can use the USPS to ship a handgun.
Only exception I know of is when a pistol gets shipped to the manufacturer or appropriately licensed party where the ownership isn't going to change hands. Warranty work comes to mind. I was able to directly ship a firearm back to Cylinder & Slide, when the work was done they were able to ship it directly back to me. They said that as long as the firearm isn't being "transferred" that was a legal shipment. Went off without a hitch. Pretty sure I used UPS overnight, as they did for the return trip

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top