JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This coming January I am going on my first hunting trip in Echo Or. Going with experienced hunter friends and a guide so I'll be be in good hands.
I have a few questions about clothing. Specifically in January should I go out and buy some water proof overalls? I have a good set of waterproof hicking boots, orange vest and orange hat. Trying to figure out what to wear besides jeans. TIA.

Depends on what you're hunting in, briars will tear up everything. .

I will say jeans suck for all outdoors adventures. Get some synthetic pants and merino baselayers.

Bring extra socks.

LISTEN to your hunting partner. Do what he tells you. Try not to shoot him.

If you're using dogs, be aware of where they are at and let them work.

This coming January I am going on my first hunting trip in Echo Or. Going with experienced hunter friends and a guide so I'll be be in good hands.
I have a few questions about clothing. Specifically in January should I go out and buy some water proof overalls? I have a good set of waterproof hicking boots, orange vest and orange hat. Trying to figure out what to wear besides jeans. TIA.
Doesn't hunting season end Dec. 31st?

Depends on what you're hunting in, briars will tear up everything. .

I will say jeans suck for all outdoors adventures. Get some synthetic pants and merino baselayers.

Bring extra socks.

LISTEN to your hunting partner. Do what he tells you. Try not to shoot him.

If you're using dogs, be aware of where they are at and let them work.
Something like these?

Something like these?
I prefer merino wool. Those have a high amount of spandex, which can trap moisture.

These are some of the best value in merino out there:

Unfortunately, you just missed out on some black friday deals.

These are my favorite general purpose hunting pants, but may be more than you want to spend if this is a one-time deal.

I prefer merino wool. Those have a high amount of spandex, which can trap moisture.

These are some of the best value in merino out there:

Unfortunately, you just missed out on some black friday deals.

These are my favorite general purpose hunting pants, but may be more than you want to spend if this is a one-time deal.

Thanks a ton!

If you can only afford one thing get the Kuiu Attack pant, even if the hunt is a one time deal those pants are so versatile and will last many other adventures. If need be skimp on the long underwear baselayer as long as your clothes are synthetic or wool your good to go. Synthetic fabric will wick sweat away faster.

Waterproof briarproof nylon chaps would be the way to go (Dan's), with jeans and thin underarmor thermals and light-medium wool socks. It's going to be cold, but trust me you will overheat in overalls, sweat your balls off, then get cold. That late in the season, I would use lead #4-5 shot, at least 1 1/4oz in a light 12ga. Plumage is thickest and birds are bigger. You can get away with 3" 20ga #5 if over a pointer, and u can enjoy carrying it all day long. Wear yellow safety glasses. You will see the birds way better. Mine have bifocals!

Doesn't hunting season end Dec. 31st?
I'd imagine he's hunting on a preserve.

Best tip I can offer, is that if things get slow don't be afraid to let out a "Here birdie birdie birdie" call. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Take extra underwear.
The first time your first rooster pheasant explodes from cover, five feet from where you are standing, you may need a change.
I shot my first pheasant 60 years ago, and a cackling pheasant, in full launch mode, can still alter my respiration and heart beat.
👍👍👍👍👍

Best,
Gary

Until You are sure you like this, I would not spend a ton of money on hunting pants. I started my kids in overalls that had been turned inside out and painted with latex paint. It makes them both briar resistant and water resistant. use either clear or tinted the same color as the overalls. Best part is they are easy to change out of before getting in the truck. [ leaves the mud outside the truck].
Do yourself a favor and take a lesson in shooting sporting clays. It gives you a primer in shooting all the different angles a bird can present.
I learned to hunt in alfalfa fields, The thing that always surprised me was how little cover those birds could disappear into! Good Luck DR

Go to the Vancouver Trap Club (Wed night and Sundays I believe) and practice up.
I used to use nylon, waterproof chaps.
Don't wear anything "fuzzy" like fleece that will pick up seeds.
If you're hunting over dogs, you'll usually have advance notice of a bird about to flush.

Let the bird get out a few yards before taking the shot if it's a close flusher.

January Pheasant near Echo will almost certainly be on a preserve I believe I have hunted. Any pant that will break the wind will be good (and jeans ARE the worst hunting pant: they restrict movement; even more when wet). If the temp is below 40, you'll want long johns under your pants, and polypropylene is best (if you can't get silk).

With snow on the ground, gaiters are advisable.

As to shot size and loads, Pheasants haven't suddenly become bulletproof, and preserve birds will not be bigger or heavier plumage than average. Nearly all birds will flush close. Shooting a heavy 12ga load with #4 or #5 shot will produce hamburger. In 57 years of hunting upland birds (much of it in Montana where wild late season birds WERE a bit more hardy) #6 shot was always the order of the day, and no more power than a standard high-base load was used. After a few years at it, my father and buddies decided by experience that #7-1/2 shot resulted in more head shots (lots more BB's), and we stuck with it.

12ga "field loads" (low base) are entirely sufficient for preserve hunting.

On the preserves, you will see the "aficionados" carrying 20's and 28's rather than a 12ga. They want to enjoy themselves even through the shot, and a 12ga Magnum is not to be enjoyed. The little guns knock the snot out of Pheasants, and like light rifles, everyone shoots them better.

While Pheasant is delightful fare, on a preserve I prefer to spend my money on Chukar. Most outfits will turn out more Chukar than Pheasant for the same money, and I much prefer them for eating: All white meat and great flavor. More shooting and better vittles. Can't beat that.

When shopping for pants, buy yourself a bird vest: loops and big pockets on the front for shells, and a rubberized huge flap pocket on the rear for the bloody birds.

Oh, and keep a strategic distance from your partners that did not bring a vest: they'll want you to carry their birds.

Have fun!

Last Edited:
I found a pair of Columbia Sportswear snow boarding pants at an estate sale and for the last five years, I've worn them for winter fishing in an open boat, power washing buildings and helping a friend with loading Christmas trees into semi trailers.
My only regret was not snagging the matching coat before some other guy grabbed it off the rack while I was trying on the pants.
Best $5 bucks I've ever spent. I really like that you can unzip the legs from the top or bottom and the velcro overlap tabs keep everything sealed up and waterproof.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top