JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased my very first firearm(SA XD9 4") and LOVE IT!! However I have noticed wearing it just around the house loaded does pull my pants down a bit. I will be getting my c.h.l. here in Oregon soon, so I can carry easier, as well as a basic firearm training course of some kind(orders from the wife, and understandable).

So my question is this, What other options do people use for cc during the warmer parts of the year. I am sure with some trial and error that my current firearm will be concealable during some of our colder cooler months, but during the summer is can get a bit on the muggy side.

I have a buddy who has a Ruger LC9 that I will be able to practice with/get the feel for. I also have on the list a XD9 sub-compact. I figure with the smaller xd everything I practice on my full size model I currently have will transfer right straight over and I will not have that much of a "learning" curve with it.

However I know that there are other options out there as well(like ket-tec and kahr) I have looked a little bit. I can currently get the sub-compact XD9 for $399 at a LGS. I will consider options costing more then the XD9 sub-compact as you never know what might work this. However I do have to say for the x dollar increase the firearm is going to need some feature/option that shines better as of right now over the xd9-sc.

However I am not the average size guy. I am 6'9" 290lbs. If you have watch Hickok at all he is up there near me in height and has the same issue with smaller firearms due to long arms(thank goodness for adjustable stocks) and bigger then average hands. I am not sure what else is out there that might work for myself, as even Hickok had some trouble with the kel-tec getting this trigger finger squeezed between the trigger and the trigger guard I think.

If I missed some important detail, I do apologize now as I am new to this hobby and luckly have a wife who has been in this hobby far longer(grew up with guns around, I did not. Long story.) And is surportive of my learning this stuff.

Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, or something like the Rohrbaugh would probably be too small. That new M&P Shield looks nice also.

The PPS with the ext mag/pinky would probably do it. Gun is very flat too. I need to go look at videos myself. I can understand carrying a bigger pistol under a coat, but even with a OWB holster I just don't see how someone could carry a very big firearm under a t-shirt, or even a button-down shirt un-tucked. A Glock 19 or 17 is big; even a 26 is bulky.

You are going to have to try a variety of guns to see what fits your hands. Many of the smaller guns have also have shorter length of pulls on the trigger, and you will have to figure out what fits your larger hands.
I have big hands for a 6' 1" guy, and the Smith and Wesson Body Guard .380 fits me well. I had to file a little off the mag release as I was at times releasing the mag while griping the gun.

Something like <broken link removed> might help increase the size of the grip to fit your hand.

My brother in law carries the tauras 740 slim in the crossbreed iwb holster and he wears shorts and a t shirt. He is not small but an average framed guy, and he swears by this set up. He gets the larger caliber too. I am smaller and carry the lcp in my shorts pocket and take it everywhere. I have the saxd9 and love this gun but can actually carry my S&W 3" .44 mag easier and more comfortably than the xd. I know .44 is overkill but I can even wear this gun with shorts and a t shirt too. Mainly because its a revolver and contours to my gut better than a straight boxy semi auto. its a heavy gun with the .44 ammo though. The lcp is so light and is as big as my cell in the other pocket.

Get a good gun belt. There are varieties out there that are basically a heavy leather inner face with a plastic core and a soft outer layer. Keeps it rigid so you don't have to wrench down on the tightness.

Go to a gun show or store and get your hands on different varieties of weapons to see which feels best in your hands.

Darkminstrel hit an important point. Belt is everything for carry. I tried to use a Dickies belt. It is a company with a good reputation, etc.. NOT for belts, it barely made it 3 mos and was about to separate, sagging, etc..

I JUST got in a new belt from Amish Belts - Black

I chose that black one but they have other colors and widths. This belt is single layer, but super stiff, thick and works great, my holster no longer slides front back at all! It is stiff enough I can put it on and forget about the gun on my hip, no saging down, shifting around, and the price is 1/2 other belts. I found them off a link from another firearms forums and they came well recommended by other Concealed carry folks.

I also second the crossbreed holster, though they are known to creak, but some saddle soap fixes that, or try one of the other hybrid IWB holsters, just get one that is a full back panel like the supertuck, it helps spread out the load of the weapon.

Find a local range with good rental selection. Rent every compact/subcomp in the case and see what you are most comfortable with.

Welcome to the party!

A good belt and holster are important.... as far as the pistol goes, I would personally go with the subcompact version of your XD because you can use the same mags form the bigger pistol in the smaller pistol. You can have the same platform if you carry a backup. You don't have to worry about different mags and all that stuff.
For example (my system) I have two Glocks, I have a G23 and a G27.... same holsters, same mags, same rounds (.40 cal). The XD pistols are great but heavy as you know, but they are built like a tank and very reliable. I like the trigger and the looks of the XD also.

For your training, check out Oregon Firearms Academy. They are down south of Albany a little bit and they run classes year round. I took their Defensive Handgun 1 course earlier this year, and it was an awesome experience.

For your carry, I agree with what was said earlier. Get a good belt and a high quality holster. I carry a SR9c under a tucked t-shirt everyday when I work and it conceals really well. It is a little bigger than the XD subcompact I think. I carry it in a crossbreed style holster that I made myself.

The original post is old... but I will contribute anyway:)

Belts may be the end all/be all for most people. A belt was strongly recommended to me when I asked about my pants falling down. But, from my own personal experience, a holster belt did absolutely nothing to help me keep my pants and holster where they belong. My pants and holster still fall down to unacceptable levels.

But, eh.... I doubt I am the norm. A lot of people have their favorite holster that they say the can wear all day and even fall asleep in. For me, there is absolutely nothing comfortable having a chunk of metal and polymer strapped to my bony hip. And, the only way I'd be able to fall asleep while carrying, is if I am rendered unconscious by chemical of physical means.

The saying is "concealed carry should be comforting, not comfortable". Well, that is a massive understatement in my case. It is so uncomfortable, that I simply choose not to carry. I wish I could find a setup that suits me better. I am thinking a shoulder rig, but that may not be the answer for my thin frame either.

Sp I figured I should do an update of what I have done so far. I got a N82 tactical iwh that I LOVE!! It have helped with some of the issues I was having with the serpa. The Serpa is a good option but not for a tall man(like myself) to get in and out of cars. It also printed way to easy. It might be a good option for open carry or dead of cold winter carry, My N82 tactical holster will be my everyday carry choice and has been since I got a almost a month ago. I did order a nice leather belt from hanks clothing, saw some guys on a forum rave about it and decided for the under $40 price it was worth to try it out. However I ordered the a size to small and have to reorder a new one. I tried it out however and loved it. IT is a really ridged belt that is also "made in america" along with the iwh I got . Now I just need to get some in the waist band meg holders. I will keep the smaller one for when I lose some weight.

I will report back once I have had the longer belt for a few weeks to see how much better it is.

Now I just need a something for pocket carry(firearm wise) for when this setup is not appropriate.

Are you set on large calibers? I really like my ruger lcp .380. I have found it fits in (almost) every pair of shorts I own and comes with a pocket holster so it doesn't print. I have the finger extentions on a couple of magazines but don't like those in my pocket. They put a point on the gun that sticks out, so I leave them in my truck so I have them J.I.C.. My wife has to ask me "are you packin?" because most of the time she can't tell. You would think she would know by now because i always am. But, this gun is so light even loaded. You seriously forget its even there. Just my advice anyway.

I do have s buddy who has one of those.. he did let me shoot it the last time I was with him at tri county gun club. It was really snappy compared to my xd. I kinda figure anything is better then nothing. I can carry at work as I work in a public state building, but choose not to due to the try of physical work I do, IT would be just to risky for myself to fall and land on the firearm and injure myself. AIt would be nice to be able to carry something like a little .380 and not have anyone see it at all!!

I have trouble with belt held holsters puling down on my pants. So I use a Sticky Holster IWB and it actually helps keep my pants up. It just needs some compression. So I use a regular dress belt.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR