JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the only times i OC are the times i'm wandering in the woods. there have been a couple of times where i have stumbled upon a predator den. there were animal bones strewn about as well as a half eaten deer carcass that was partially buried underneath and next to a tree stump. the carcass was still fresh.

as for doing it in public, yes, it feels weird. especially if you're in unfamiliar territory. i don't like the feeling that everybody within the vicinity is watching me. do that in my home state of arizona, and people won't have much, if anything, to say to you. living in scottsdale, i would see some people do it on a regular basis without any issues. in a few cases, i've seen people approach the person openly carrying and ask them about their revolver or pistol. it was usually in the realm of, "hey, nice piece!"

This makes me want to go the beach. WTF is wrong with me? Haven't been there in a few years.

No matter what time of year you go to Seaside there will always be at least one obese man walking around Broadway with his shirt off. I've always admired that, says FU I don't care if it grosses you out or not ..... :).

So, what is the motivation to open carry? To me it makes absolutely no sense.

Post #12 Not being able to LEGALLY concealed carry.

Then there are many of us that just carry. Really makes no difference OC or CC. People get too hung up on what to do and what one is best. Carry is best.

Seaside does NOT have an ORS 166.173. Astoria does.

We lived in Seaside from 1955 to 1960, got my first introduction to firearms and shooting in Seaside. While OC may or may not be common in Seaside, the town does not/did not/appear to have a problem with it like Astoria does.

BTW: If you read ORS 166.173(2)(c) you will see that your loaded OC is fine...no matter what the local ordenances state. If you read Astoria's ordenance, the fact that your WA CPL covers you is even more apparent (05.010) Just remember: this is OC ONLY. also read ORS 166.250(3) (especially (3)) and ORS 166.260.

I'm not getting what your "BTW" paragraph is saying.

It's pretty clear from other laws that Oregon does not honor other states' concealed licenses, therefore "A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun." means an Oregon license. But if someone wants to test it, I'd love for a judge to decide that the wording is vague enough in that specific section to allow out-of-state licenses...

Edit: Without a court case backing your interpretation, it's reckless to suggest that interpretation to someone who may not be willing to be the legal 'test case'.

Day 2, pretty calm as well.

Spent the day at canon beach walking the stores. Stopped in a leather shop to pick up a larger leather belt as my old skinny one wasn't holding the holster snug enough. The lady at the counter walked up to the wife and I and said "Someday, someone's going to save a life with that, and then it will be accepted by all". I wasn't quite sure where she was going with that, but once she finished I got that she was saying something positive.

Stopped at the Canon Beach Surf Shop and asked to check out the guns. They were a little surprised to see strangers asking about it since they don't really have external signage stating its a gun store. The guy that owns the place has a large quantity of .223/5.56 ammo for sale for $10 a box, mosty higher quality defense stuff. I picked up a few boxes, including a box of Cor Bon (Going for $30 at cheaperthandirt right now)

It's a consignment lot, but very nice deals.

Regarding OC versus CC. When I get back home I think the deciding factor for me will be what ever works best with what I'm wearing that day and where I'm going.

Both are viable options.

I read that statute as well, and the wording is a little too vague for my taste. I don't want to be the one to test that in court.

I did go into three larger venues (Safeway, Rite Aid and Costco) and still no real fuss.

*Edit*
OH!! I went onto the beach and even though I didn't roll in the sand I somehow got sand in my
gun!!!! Arggg!!!!!

Had to buy a cleaning kit for $30 at the surf shop. It's a bit spendy, but I was thankful to get it!

I blew out the sand and took a toothbrush to the nooks and crannies. I'll be cleaning and oiling it after dinner.

I wasn't prepared for the occupational hazzards of open carry!

The only local ordnance is that you cannot open carry a firearm into a park in Astoria. However if you have a CHL you don't have to follow that ordnance. Anything else is just something they forgot was in the law when it was voted on.

Day 2, pretty calm as well.

Spent the day at canon beach walking the stores. Stopped in a leather shop to pick up a larger leather belt as my old skinny one wasn't holding the holster snug enough. The lady at the counter walked up to the wife and I and said "Someday, someone's going to save a life with that, and then it will be accepted by all". I wasn't quite sure where she was going with that, but once she finished I got that she was saying something positive.

Stopped at the Canon Beach Surf Shop and asked to check out the guns. They were a little surprised to see strangers asking about it since they don't really have external signage stating its a gun store. The guy that owns the place has a large quantity of .223/5.56 ammo for sale for $10 a box, mosty higher quality defense stuff. I picked up a few boxes, including a box of Cor Bon (Going for $30 at cheaperthandirt right now)

It's a consignment lot, but very nice deals.

Regarding OC versus CC. When I get back home I think the deciding factor for me will be what ever works best with what I'm wearing that day and where I'm going.

Both are viable options.

Yeah, I only know about the store because a Cannon Beach LEO shared the info with me. They don't advertise because it would cause a huge riot of people wanting to burn his store down. (You cannot even have neon signs in Cannon Beach city limits) So they don't advertise, its on a need to know basis only.

The only local ordnance is that you cannot open carry a firearm into a park in Astoria. However if you have a CHL you don't have to follow that ordnance. Anything else is just something they forgot was in the law when it was voted on.
Astoria Code 05.010(A) 5.010 Carrying Loaded Firearm Unlawful.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry a firearm, loaded or unloaded, in a park, school ground or public building.

and (B) No person on a public street or in a public place shall knowingly carry a firearm upon the person, or in a vehicle under the person's control or in which the person is an occupant, unless all ammunition or missile has been removed from the chamber and from the cylinder, clip or magazine.

Astoria code 05.010(C) shall not apply:

(3) Any person having a valid permit issued to the person by lawful authority to carry or use concealed firearms;

To the detractors:..no,you do not need an OR CHL to OPEN CARRY in a restricted city. Very clear in Astoria http://www.astoria.or.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=vXiABwd4i9k=&tabid=2002&mid=6163&language=en-US

May I add: You will note in the above it says nothing about a license to carry a concealed firearm under ORS 166.291 and ORS 166.292. You may also note that very similar wording is in one of the exemptions in ORS 166.173(2)(c) "A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun"

IF ORS 166.173(2)(c) was restricted to and OR CHL: 1: There would be no need for (2)(d) in ORS 166.173 and 2: If it only meant an OR CHL, it would state that the license needed to be issued pursuant to ORS 166.291 and ORS 166.292.

Oregon does restrict Concealed Carry to those that have an OR CHL...that is true...but here we are taking about open carry, and additional local government restrictions allowed per ORS 166.173.

Thanks for posting that I must have read an old form of the law, but it doesn't specify concealed or open carry anywhere. Only the carry of a firearm which is loaded.

Don't bother trying to dispute it to the APD though, they are bubblegums.

Thanks for posting that I must have read an old form of the law, but it doesn't specify concealed or open carry anywhere. Only the carry of a firearm which is loaded.

Don't bother trying to dispute it to the APD though, they are bubblegums.

Thank you...as an EX old resident of the great little resort village of Seaside....I do occasionally go down to visit (and see our old house) Many fond memories in that town.

I'm not getting what your "BTW" paragraph is saying.

It's pretty clear from other laws that Oregon does not honor other states' concealed licenses, therefore "A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun." means an Oregon license. But if someone wants to test it, I'd love for a judge to decide that the wording is vague enough in that specific section to allow out-of-state licenses...

Edit: Without a court case backing your interpretation, it's reckless to suggest that interpretation to someone who may not be willing to be the legal 'test case'.

Very hard to find a court case for something that is not illegal don't you think?

Very hard to find a court case for something that is not illegal don't you think?

It's easy, every criminal case that is dismissed or acquitted is a court case for something that is not illegal. Astoria has a law that claims to ban open carry to non-CHL holders. Until someone with an out-of-state-only license decides to "test" it, we won't know for sure if it holds up.

If someone who knows they might be arrested and is willing to "test" the law in court does so, good. But it is irresponsible to suggest to people that they can do so without repercussion when they might not be willing to be the "test case".

Open Carry in Oregon is NOT legal with an out of state Concealed Carry License. You don't need to get arrested to try a case in court. People who do not live here and understand Oregon law should not go around on this or any other forum making false statements that will eventually end up getting some idiot, that follows their advice, thrown in jail and lose their 2A rights, here and their state of residence. I would especially like to see Hermannr come to downtown Portland, with his WA CPL and open carry a loaded firearm through the city. How about Pioneer Square on Sat. does that work for you Hermannr. If your so willing to freely give advice on the subject, then let's settle this. No more bickering back and forth on the forum, just prove you are right once and for all. Just make sure you wear clean underwear and bring bail money. It is only a misdemeanor so you should be able to post bail with the court.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top