JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Three times in my life I have seen elk with tremendous racks. Not among the vast amount of Rocky Mountain elk but next to good ole I 5. I would like some input about the two seasons for coast elk. I will likely hunt the second as it is longer. The Stotts Mtn area is closest. The Alsea and Trask also possible. Since my hunting will be limited to shooting out of the window I won't be horning in on your favorite pork barrel aka nunya gulch. As in where is you huntin'? Nunya. Where's nunya ? None of of yer dern business!

Lots of closed gates in the E Stott MT Unit; the West side has more open roads; like NF17.

Forget S Trask unless you want to hunt NF lands (aka jungle) or have a Weyerheauser lease.

Say high to all the people...

PM sent

Lots of closed gates in the E Stott MT Unit; the West side has more open roads; like NF17.

Forget S Trask unless you want to hunt NF lands (aka jungle) or have a Weyerheauser lease.

Say high to all the people...

PM sent
Today was opening day for the second coast elk season. The weather was marvellous. I took my friend's 15 year old and we found tons of great habitat. Saw a bobcat.

It was a beautiful day yesterday. Went a couple miles on animal trails, saw a lot of deer droppings but only one pile of elk scat, easily 2+ weeks old. Today was short due to family events.
In all my time camping and hunting, I have never seen a bobcat.

When I lived on the North fork of Eagle Creek, south of Sandy, Oregon, I was walking back to my cabin one morning when I came within 10' of a large male Bobcat that was standing next to my car. He was peering down at the neighbors black lab.
I stopped in my tracks and watched him for a few minutes until he must have gotten a whiff of my scent, because he slowly turned his head and with a great look of alarm recognized that a man was standing so close to him.
I've never seen anything jump up, turn and run as fast he did.
You could hear him crashing through the woods at a dead run for at least a 1/4 mile.

Last Edited:
Saw a buck today but no "big buck" yet. Hunting on a rainy day seems to extend the early morning light quality. Getting into good areas 35 miles from home. May go out again in the a.m.

Rudedog,

When your out there watch your Back and your surroundings! :p

On this hunt as Scooby Do would say RUT-RO!

Hunting Visitor.jpg

Went to the trask unit twice t
For second season elk. It looked like there was a small herd wandering around, but it couldn't have been more than 4 or 5. So much of that old logging has spurred growth making it difficult to see. Last year, I saw a beautiful 4x4, two cows and a calf during deer season. I saw nothing there this year.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top