JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, it seemed easy at first, then it got more difficult, so I consulted and re-consulted the youtube vids until I finally figured out the ONE thing omitted from all the vids, which was to take the safety off PRIOR to pulling the trigger, and re-inserting the bolt stop assembly.

Sheesh! :p

Otherwise the whole operation seemed pretty straightforward. I'm really looking forward to modding out the pistol over the next few months. I figured I'd start with the internals and install a Sam Lam bushing and Volquartsen accurizing kit. Later I'll add new optics and grip.

I think the Mark III Hunter is one of the slickest looking .22 pistols out there!

Lol. I had the same experience when I first took down my 22/45. One small detail held me up several hours trying to get the darn thing back together. Several expletives and a few walk aways later I figured out what I had missed. I've hated the pistol ever since, and I still hold a grudge against ol' Bill Ruger for it. :)

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the link, Burt. Do you have any experience with this kit or company? The kit looks good. I may have to purchase one. That is, unless I learn of a reason not to. Who knows, I may even need to forgive the late Mr Ruger...and rescind all of the antiRuger explitives I have spouted over the years. :D

First things first. I'll need to buy and install the kit. ;)

The general consensus over on Rimfire Central is that the Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit interferes with the functioning of the pistol in the presence of other aftermarket internal parts like the aforementioned Volquartsen acurizing kit. Therefore I decided against this upgrade.

Hmm. Very interesting, possibly disappointing. Does the Speed Strip kit interfer with the function of the stock pistol in any profound way? Evidently, latest version of the kit has a feature that lowers the stock trigger weight a bit, to around 3lbs. For someone like me, unless it really didn't feel right, I probably wouldn't look to upgrade the trigger further. What do you think?

I'm still pissed at Bill Ruger! He didn't take serious cleaning and field stripping into consideration of his gun designs. Look at what you have to do to the 10/22 to clean the barrel from the breech.

Unfortunately, he didn't take his own customers, gun owners or the 2nd Amendment seriously, either.

Hmm. Very interesting, possibly disappointing. Does the Speed Strip kit interfer with the function of the stock pistol in any profound way? Evidently, latest version of the kit has a feature that lowers the stock trigger weight a bit, to around 3lbs. For someone like me, unless it really didn't feel right, I probably wouldn't look to upgrade the trigger further. What do you think?

Check out this thread on Rimfire Central: Majestic Arms - RimfireCentral.com Forums

It has links to other threads on that forum. The vast majority state the Speed Strip kit isn't worth the headaches it creates. Another good point- if you scope your Mark II or III, then you'd have to remove the scope in order to remove the Speed Strip bolt stop pin.

I sold my Mark III last week. Part of the reason I got rid of it was that it was too complicated cleaning it.

Hmmm, although this was my first time cleaning it, now that I know the "trick" to getting the bolt stop assembly back together, I didn't find it overly complicated at all. I'm looking forward to making this pistol my go-to plinker!

I've had the Majestic kit for 2-3 years, I use modified oem parts in my Mk3 and have eliminated the mag disconnect. Function is 100%.

100_4892.jpg

I have owned several Ruger MKs and currently have a new MKIII Hunter. I just haven't seen the strip down difficulty that everyone complains about. Sure it is different form other makes but once you read the instructions and do it a few times it seems pretty easy to me. I am glad mine is tight........much better than too loose. And they are tack drivers.

Yessir, that's a good vid. I watched a friend barehand a really stubborn (brand new) MkIII with all his might and was glad he knew what he was doing. Quite a feat. Wondered if I'd ever get it right myself until I saw this vid. Clear, and straight to the point. Thanks for highlighting it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top