Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First time cleaning the Ruger Mark III

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ironbar, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Well, it seemed easy at first, then it got more difficult, so I consulted and re-consulted the youtube vids until I finally figured out the ONE thing omitted from all the vids, which was to take the safety off PRIOR to pulling the trigger, and re-inserting the bolt stop assembly.

Sheesh! :p

parallax likes this.
  2. Ironbar

Otherwise the whole operation seemed pretty straightforward. I'm really looking forward to modding out the pistol over the next few months. I figured I'd start with the internals and install a Sam Lam bushing and Volquartsen accurizing kit. Later I'll add new optics and grip.

I think the Mark III Hunter is one of the slickest looking .22 pistols out there!

3. tdocz

tdocz Beaverton Member

Lol. I had the same experience when I first took down my 22/45. One small detail held me up several hours trying to get the darn thing back together. Several expletives and a few walk aways later I figured out what I had missed. I've hated the pistol ever since, and I still hold a grudge against ol' Bill Ruger for it. :)

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

5. tdocz

tdocz Beaverton Member

Thanks for the link, Burt. Do you have any experience with this kit or company? The kit looks good. I may have to purchase one. That is, unless I learn of a reason not to. Who knows, I may even need to forgive the late Mr Ruger...and rescind all of the antiRuger explitives I have spouted over the years. :D

First things first. I'll need to buy and install the kit. ;)

6. Ironbar

The general consensus over on Rimfire Central is that the Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit interferes with the functioning of the pistol in the presence of other aftermarket internal parts like the aforementioned Volquartsen acurizing kit. Therefore I decided against this upgrade.

7. tdocz

tdocz Beaverton Member

Hmm. Very interesting, possibly disappointing. Does the Speed Strip kit interfer with the function of the stock pistol in any profound way? Evidently, latest version of the kit has a feature that lowers the stock trigger weight a bit, to around 3lbs. For someone like me, unless it really didn't feel right, I probably wouldn't look to upgrade the trigger further. What do you think?

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The above is correct - it is great for a stock Mark though.

9. tdocz

tdocz Beaverton Member

Unfortunately, he didn't take his own customers, gun owners or the 2nd Amendment seriously, either.

10. duldej

duldej Portland Member

I sold my Mark III last week. Part of the reason I got rid of it was that it was too complicated cleaning it.

11. Ironbar

Check out this thread on Rimfire Central: Majestic Arms - RimfireCentral.com Forums

It has links to other threads on that forum. The vast majority state the Speed Strip kit isn't worth the headaches it creates. Another good point- if you scope your Mark II or III, then you'd have to remove the scope in order to remove the Speed Strip bolt stop pin.

Hmmm, although this was my first time cleaning it, now that I know the "trick" to getting the bolt stop assembly back together, I didn't find it overly complicated at all. I'm looking forward to making this pistol my go-to plinker!

12. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

I've had the Majestic kit for 2-3 years, I use modified oem parts in my Mk3 and have eliminated the mag disconnect. Function is 100%.

100_4892.jpg

13. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

A life changing experience!!!!

GuyBMeredith and parallax like this.
  14. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

"First time cleaning the Ruger Mark III"

A true test of our unfailing dedication to the shooting sports!

GuyBMeredith, chemist and parallax like this.
  15. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Ironbar,
    Go look at American Gunsmith Instutite (AGI). They have a DVD on Take apart the Ruger Mark I,II,III, 22/45. Here's the URL
    AGI - American Gunsmithing Institute
    Also I have the Armorer Course on DVD if you would like to look at it sometime Please PM me.
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

16. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

I have owned several Ruger MKs and currently have a new MKIII Hunter. I just haven't seen the strip down difficulty that everyone complains about. Sure it is different form other makes but once you read the instructions and do it a few times it seems pretty easy to me. I am glad mine is tight........much better than too loose. And they are tack drivers.

jim97701 likes this.
  17. charros93

charros93 Puget Sound Active Member

parallax likes this.
  18. edogg

edogg Western Washington Active Member

I've noticed that the stainless models seem to be a little easier to disassemble and reassemble.

19. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Yessir, that's a good vid. I watched a friend barehand a really stubborn (brand new) MkIII with all his might and was glad he knew what he was doing. Quite a feat. Wondered if I'd ever get it right myself until I saw this vid. Clear, and straight to the point. Thanks for highlighting it!

20. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Video makes dis-assembly and re-assembly of the Mark III look easy.
    May our lives glorify God,
    Michael