JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a saying in photography: "You can tell how skilled a photographer is by how quickly he drops the subject of cameras and begins talking about light."

The same can be said of firearms. Situational awareness, practical training, and presence of mind under stress are more important than the particular hardware.

This is one article along that theme:

There is a saying in photography: "You can tell how skilled a photographer is by how quickly he drops the subject of cameras and begins talking about light."

The same can be said of firearms. Situational awareness, practical training, and presence of mind under stress are more important than the particular hardware.

This is one article along that theme:
Hold on a minute...
Now you are starting to make too much common sense...
You know how we like to debate which caliber - manufacturer - material - method, etc., is the best...

Now the TAURUS TH crosses all the "T's" and dots all the "I's"

A bonus is you may get a chance to get in on a future class action lawsuit. :s0070:

A bonus is you may get a chance to get in on a future class action lawsuit. :s0070:

The TH isn't on that list, maybe it will get it's own.

In all seriousness if I absolutely had to have all that goobly-goop it would probably be FN FNX series. Now if they put on a Walther/HK style mag release paddle on it they might be onto something, that or an HK P30.

Personally, for myself I can live without DA/SA and would rather not have a manual safety, if the Walther PDP had a the PPQ M1 paddle mag release it would probably my ultimate SD gun.

Last Edited:
Super late to this party, but I read the OP last night and decided to see how the forum membership responded. Worth the wait; it's been an entertaining thread, for sure.

So, for me (as one who spent more'n 20 years on active duty and at various times carried weapons for serious purposes in bad places, followed by a career in law enforcement, to include being a member on tactical teams while serving as a state-certified academy and agency firearms instructor), all I can say to this:
- An initial trigger pull that mitigates the risk of a less-than-deliberate first shot.
- Second strike capability. Pull the trigger again for another primer strike.
- Completely ambidextrous controls. You may not have the luxury of using your dominant hand, or both hands.
- A hammer or striker control plate to prevent ND while reholstering.
- A decocking mechanism to revert to a deliberate trigger pull, which cannot be left in a no-fire "safe" mode; i.e., spring return to fire mode after decocking.
- If continuity of fire is expected after an initial shot volley, an easily loaded mag well. Not applicable for those relying solely on the rounds in the gun, with no other mags on person, or most revolver users.
- For "always cocked" guns (striker fired), a manual safety in event the gun must be off your person and control to comply with safety or control commands ("Police, drop your gun!"), or transferred to another person in crisis conditions.
is, I don't agree.

I started in law enforcement in '79 with a S&W Model 19, then spent many years in the military with the 1911 and later the M9. Went through various incarnations of DA/SA semiautos before retiring after being issued plastic striker-fired pistols for my last twelve years or so.

I have no sacred cows. And I'm not gonna presume to tell anyone what is best for them, or best for the military, or best for law enforcement. Find what works for you, train with it, be safe with it, keep it secured, and we're good.

K..maybe it's just me, but addressing the reality behand the sarcasm..

As a .40 owner, I was surprised a few years back when LE types used that reasoning for trading in their .40's and going to 9mm..newer powders and bullet designs. Fine, but using that logic, doesn't it make sense that .40 would also be improving upward..thereby still maintaining a slight terminal ballistics advantage over 9mm? I mean..they should scale the same..same with .45.

So..I don't buy it. I think they really all went to 9mm because its easier for females to shoot and ammo is cheaper for the Departments.
NO NO NO....... It's due to the fact that 9mm pistols hold more rounds and five officers can shoot around 80 rds and hit the suspect five times if they're lucky whereas with 40 they may only hit once. You know those highly trained law enforcement officers the anti-gunners always mention that should protect us instead of doing it ourselves.

Having never smoked pot, I wasn't aware it made you constipated.

Looks like this thread has been informational after all.
Confucius say, he who stands on toilet is high on pot.

We've been getting a lot of "those guys" lately must be something in the water.
NO look at the local, nuff said

For some equally opinionated nonsense, I offer you these two Poopy Joe quotes:

You know there's an old Irish saying, there's all kinds of old Irish sayings. My grandfather Finnegan, I think he made them up. But uh, it says, may the hinges of our friendship never go rusty. Well, with these two folks that you're about to meet if you haven't already, there's no doubt about them staying oiled and lubricated here, ladies and gentlemen. Now for you who are not full Irish in this room, lubricated has a different meaning for us all.
– Joe Biden​
At reception for Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Enda Kenny in 2012.​
Guess what, the cheerleaders in college are the best athletes in college. You think, I'm joking, they're almost all gymnasts, the stuff they do on hard wood, it blows my mind.
– Joe Biden​
At Newport H.S., Newport, NH in 2012.​

Focus less on the gun and more the person pulling the trigger. There are too many adequate handguns suitable for self defense these days.

The guy pulling the trigger is usually the weak link.

Focus less on the gun and more the person pulling the trigger. There are too many adequate handguns suitable for self defense these days.

The guy pulling the trigger is usually the weak link.
We're still talking about handguns..... right?

(This isn't a good forum for relationship advice. ;))

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top