JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For some time I have been looking into building a 10/22 as a light weight semi-auto .22 that can be suppressed.
Weighing in the options now days since you cannot find a reasonable 10/22 anywhere that is not cheap enough to warrant removing the barrel and stock, I started to explore my options.

A 10/22 circa 2020 is around $250~, adding a lightweight tensioned threaded barrel such as Tactical Solutions adds another $280~ with a Magpul Hunter stock slips in another $140~. This does not count towards a trigger job ($100~) and trying to find that spring that left the trigger pack and flew across the room. Very easy to be into a 10/22 build in the $800-900 range.

I have a Takedown 10/22 with Magpul and TacSol setup, it shoots amazing but I wanted a rigid option..

Discussing with Jeremy (@LuckySG) last week I was curious if he had any beaters floating around or something to use as a springboard to do this build.

Bergara website link:

Normally I'm not a person to jump on a rifle that is new but something that takes 10/22 magazines that are already on the shelf is worth a second look.

Picking the rifle up I was impressed with the weight of it. Bergara claims a 4.7 pound weight and it is that but it is well balanced and feels lighter. Checking the trigger when I got home I found a 3.0-3.5lb clean break.

Bergara's stats:
  • 34.5″ Overall length (includes three 3/8″ removable spacers to adjust length of pull)
  • 16.5″ Barrel, muzzle threaded 1/2×28. Includes thread protector.
  • 4.7 lbs total weight with carbon fiber barrel and 5.2 lbs with fluted steel barrel.
  • Includes a 10 shot rotary magazine (10/22 magazine compatible)
  • Includes integral 30 MOA Picatinny rail.
  • Trigger pull is approximately 3.5 lbs.
  • Integrated QD flush cup sling mounts and swivel mounts
Something Bergara barely mention anywhere is that this rifle has a Bentz chamber.
Bergara Website said:
The BXR rimfire rifle is manufactured with a Bentz chamber. The Bentz chamber was specifically created for use in semi-automatic rimfire that desire match level accuracy. Because it is a tighter chamber than the standard sporting chamber found on many entry level semi-auto rimfire rifles, it is designed to run optimally with standard velocity or match grade ammo. Shooting high velocity, stingers or inexpensive bulk ammo may result in inconsistent feeding.

I slapped on my Nikon Prostaff 4-12 and headed to the range.

638812-17bd04ae629d263c2a01e69b682d8aef.jpg

Shooting what I had at the house already, I was NOT impressed with accuracy.
I had CCI Standards and some Federal bulk opened already so they rolled with me.

All targets were shot at 50 yards and these were with the suppressor.

Federal American Eagle garbage.
IMG_5315.jpeg

CCI Standards (Shoots great in my other rifles):
IMG_5316.jpeg

Not impressed with the top left pattern. It was 7:45 by the time I got to this point and I packed it up and went home.

Fast forward to Sunday.
I went by the Sportmans Warehouse to see if they had any Match or Target ammo variants that were not at the house.
I picked up these flavors:
Norma Match-11
Federal Gold Match
Eley Target

I removed the suppressor and went through a solid test. Shots at 50 yards, 5 shot groups.
Top left: Federal American Eagle
Top Right: Norma Match-22
Bottom Left: Eley Target
Bottom Right: Federal Gold Match

Center target was reserved for sight in or adjustments when switching ammo.
  • Yellow circles represent the shot groups.
  • Purple circle was the sighting in.
  • Yellow center circle was shooting a 10 shot Eley group with the suppressor.

IMG_5327.jpeg

While this is impressive, I must say that I did put some Norma into my Ruger American and it shot 9 rounds inside the black with one flier.

Overall thoughts?

• Trigger:
    • Nothing needs changed, very predictable pull, clean break and reliable.
  • Stock:
    • Hate the cutout on the back end, I need a little more rear elevation when bench shooting
    • it is a little slicker than one would expect but it is not a heavy rifle so holding it was easy enough.
  • Sling Studs / QD:
    • Adequate spots for your swivel studs or QD slings
  • Feeding/Chambering:
    • some issues with bulk and Aguila subs.
  • Eject:
    • issues with bulk ammo sticking in chamber due to chambering and even mentioned by mfg. Expected result.
  • Magazine:
    • Bergara magazine has issues. It doesn't like feeding some ammo, the feed lip slot is too narrow and rounds get hung up in there when trying to enter the chamber.
  • Magazine release:
    • The paddle is nice, 10 round magazines don't drop free but the 15 round BX-15's are a welcome relief and can be easily removed and inserted.
  • 30 MOA integrated rail:
    • Really guys? I guess I bought a rifle that's more serious than I am.

I had no issues feeding or ejecting ammo that I purchased today.

Planning on revisiting this thread when I receive the Lapua and Wolf match ammo from the internet order.

Once dialed in yesterday I was able to use some CCI's and ring the steel out to 200y with ease. The scope was perfect for bottom reticle circle to hit the steel every time.

Would I buy again? Sure. I'd make sure I had match ammo before I went to the range the first time. I would make sure to run it the first time without a suppressor as mine apparently messes with barrel harmonics.

Disclaimer:
I understand this rifle is new and I have not shot 250 rounds through it. The rifle has not 'settled' in yet and even the gents at Vudoo say to not rely on accuracy until 500 rounds minimum. This is a work in progress

Interesting. I was also talking to Jeremy about this offering. For the price point I would expect more than average 10/22 accuracy.

After reading your report, it's a pass for me.

Good write up. :)

Nice work! Let me know what ammo I should have to pair with it's brother, I have several flavors of CCI and Aguila coming Tuesday and Thursday. That hook in the stock is for a left hand under right arm grab which can be very comfortable when prone.

Interesting. I was also talking to Jeremy about this offering. For the price point I would expect more than average 10/22 accuracy.

After reading your report, it's a pass for me.

Good write up. :)
I haven't written it off. The 4 shots in one hole with the Eley is pretty damn good for a .22 at 50y.

The ammo selection has a LOT to do with this rifles performance. The chamber is the key. I really only had one "Match" ammo today which was the Norma. I may go buy a box of that $15/50 Eley stuff that's supposed to be the best of the best which should be what this rifle is designed for.

I have no regrets because I intend to do more .22LR accurate shooting to help my longer range game (in theory).

Nice work! Let me know what ammo I should have to pair with it's brother, I have several flavors of CCI and Aguila coming Tuesday and Thursday. That hook in the stock is for a left hand under right arm grab which can be very comfortable when prone.
Good to know. As I progress a little more I'll invest in a better bipod system that's swappable for my rifles, not a big fan of the type I have now....

Hopefully I can start working more on prone shooting, as you may have noticed, my fat arse doesn't get down on the ground very well (or back up). I'd like to be more proficient in this form so this is a good thing.

Taking these flavors out today.

SK is supposed to do really well but I think I still need to run a few thousand through the rifle to break it in.

5A0E4465-2D89-4457-A345-52E33DBAA1A1.jpeg

Internet order and not my favorite price either. Gotta pay to play.

I've got some Aquila Hyper and Standard velocity if you want to try some others. I'd be happy to give you a few boxes of each for "testing" purposes. :)

Darn. Kind of a bummer considering the materials and price. You'd think they would have a better chamber, looking online it's just a regular sporter.

I'll have to group my Smith and Wesson, cough cough, Thompson Center 10/22 clone. Is fairly accurate and definitely a step above a basic 10/22. I've only ever used it with the irons it has on it, but with those, I can shoot better than a stick iron sight 10/22. If interested in that let me know I'll try this weekend.

As for the Bergara, I'm curious to see some internal pics. See if it is at least "better" than the 10/22 from a build perspective. One thing about these clones, they are not truly superior in my opinion than a 10/22 with a few extra upgrades. In other words, could a $200 10/22 with an additional $200 in upgrades be almost if not better than this?

I do appreciate the mag compatibility, for that reason I too look at models with cross compatibility. IE the soon to market Christenson Arms Ranger. Which also has a carbon barrel, but thankfully a match chamber!

So further reading, looks like it's a Bentz chamber. So, now I'm really conflicted, I've had a few Bentz chambered barrels. They have always been better in terms of accuracy than the standard Sporter chamber.

Today's groupings are showing a lot more promise. You can see where the guy beside me started running .300WinMag with a muzzle brake.. the Pattern explodes. (Top right dot on each ammo)

I don't consider the rifle settled in yet either. It's groupings are getting tighter and tighter as I shoot more.

I need to load up a few magazines and just go black some cheap Remington stuff.

@Reno Bentz chamber is correct. The Match designed ammo is shooting a lot better than standard stuff. The proper ammo for the chamber is helping.

I'd still buy another rifle like this even if I had read this thread by somebody else.

I shot 5 shot groups.
5 round grouping per ammo, then went back to the next.

Wolf, SK LR, SL Match repeat.
Bottom groups are suppressed

@Kruel J ... the aftermath
E5C946AB-5D53-4127-8AD9-4BF718E51B08.jpeg 0E6389CE-7775-4746-91AF-F04A5BFF21F1.jpeg 0AB47A6D-5F88-43B9-817F-89E3617688C7.jpeg

More rounds through this today.
I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 mounted on top.

I was shooting only to 200y steel.
ammo used:
American Eagle Bulk garbage
CCi standards
SK Rifle Match

Since the optic has adjustable turrets and is easy to zero, I walked the rifle into a POA & POI marriage on the smallest swinger steel at ARPC.

All three ammo types were consistently hitting the steel swinger. I believe it is 2" wide, been a while since I've been out there. The CCI and SK were best and most consistent as they stated subsonic and absolutely silent with the suppressor on aside from action noise.

As this rifle settles in I'm becoming more and more impressed with it.

Ejection has improved, feeds match and standard ammo well now. I prefer the 15 round Ruger BX mags.

No Regerts on buying it.

S&W 15-22 rifle is 4.8 lbs and has threaded barrel. Also takes standard ar triggers. So that might be worth looking into. I'm not sure how much the recently re-released pistol version weighs. Mine is fun using a binary trigger but gun sure feels light and plasticky. Rifle was $299 before panic. New release of pistol version is way overpriced imo. Here is a 10 shot burst with binary so u can see rpm.

I started reading this thread and got to this:

I went by the Sportmans Warehouse to see if they had any Match or Target ammo variants that were not at the house.
I picked up these flavors:
Norma Match-11
Federal Gold Match
Eley Target

Instantly knew I was late to this thread's party..... :)

That being said, awesome info, and appreciate your thoroughness in reviewing the BXR.

That being said, awesome info, and appreciate your thoroughness in reviewing the BXR.
I prefer to do long term reviews. We want stability and longer testing. Who knows, maybe in 3 years somebody will read this when seeing one of these rifles for sale and they'll pick one up.

One outing saying "hey I hit this paper plate and glass bottle at 247y in the wind" does nothing for long term ownership.

There was one in stock at Albany Sportsmans warehouse a week ago. You would have to call to see if it is still in stock. I would also give Jeremy at Lucky Sporting Goods a call to see what he can rustle up for you. Jeremy is always great to deal with and can normally offer very competitive pricing.

If anyone sees one in stock somewhere or has one to trade/sell please PM me!

There was one in stock at Albany Sportsmans warehouse a week ago. You would have to call to see if it is still in stock. I would also give Jeremy at Lucky Sporting Goods a call to see what he can rustle up for you. Jeremy is always great to deal with and can normally offer very competitive pricing.
It was still there this AM at Albany Sportsmans warehouse

Rifle shoots sub dime groups with match ammo at 50yds.

Shooting with a 2-7 Leupold optic and picking aspen leaves off berms at 100+yds

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top