JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With apologies to "Last Man Standing"

====================

Budget cuts, stand your ground and the ‘Wild’ West

"...This may be remembered as the year when government started crashing down. Make sure you don’t crash with it...."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

reads like a scare tactic to me.... anyway, having lived in unincorporated King Co., I can tell you they're just fine taking care of themselves and most have firearms already.

reads like a scare tactic to me.... anyway, having lived in unincorporated King Co., I can tell you they're just fine taking care of themselves and most have firearms already.

That is just typical extremist malarkey. Short on facts and full of inciteful rhetoric. It is clearly just written to frighten people without educating them about the issue at all. Who even pays attention to such garbage?

Martini and Penguin, to clarify whom are you guys aiming your thoughts at the OP who is the author of the article or the police who think that the world will end because we didn't give them enough money? I for one embrace the idea of less police involvement and more self sufficiency.

Martini and Penguin, to clarify whom are you guys aiming your thoughts at the OP who is the author of the article or the police who think that the world will end because we didn't give them enough money? I for one embrace the idea of less police involvement and more self sufficiency.
The police are not publishing the article. I have a huge problem with a writing style that perpetuates that absurd "us against them" mentality regarding red and blue. It only serves the interests of the true "them" in the equation...a corrupt government. I am just sick of the whole "keep the citizens angry, ignorant, and blaming their neighbor (because of the letter D or R after their name) so they never unite and solve the real problem" game.

The latter... as such, I completely concur with your statement.

That is just typical extremist malarkey. Short on facts and full of inciteful rhetoric. It is clearly just written to frighten people without educating them about the issue at all. Who even pays attention to such garbage?

The police are not publishing the article.

Well inciteful isn't a word and insightful won't work as a replacement since it doesn't mean to incite or to be provocative so I'll won't debate that statement. I would challenge your assertion that there was no education when clearly there is eduction relevant to the subject of the article that being the Washington state statutes on the justification of the use of deadly force quoted verbatim.

BTW welcome back! :p

Oh, where to begin?

First..Penquin.. there was not a single thing in that piece that isn't factual. Democrats run the majority on the King County Council, they set up the budget, there is an allegation floating around now that the council chair has it in for the cops because their union didn't endorse her..and the police guild rejected the idea of putting off their 5% pay increase.

You believe what you want. A lot of people believe that underfunding the sheriff's department was a ploy by the Democrat majority to entice King County voters to approve a 0.2 percent sales tax increase to pay for police services. It was just another attempt to bump up taxes and the voters were having none of it.

I don't need to divide R and D people. They do that quite well on their own and I just write about it.

Second...Martini...I don't know where you lived in unincorporated King County but nowadays a huge number of people don't have firearms, but they do have a piece of their personal Utopia, or so they think.

It's not a scare tactic at all to explain what's happening and why, and to offer fair comment on it.

Well, the ploy becomes a scare tactic when our elected officials don't get the amount of tax revenue they want and tell us they're going to cut the funding of those that protect us (LEO). Problem is most of us know LEO don't protect us from anything (but rather help bring suspects to a court of law afterwards).

I have no problem with your article and don't doubt the facts you present but tire of the typical cause/effect aforementioned. I remember when they cut the car licensing from over 300 per year down to 35. Some fire chief was interviewed and asked what he thought of it and said something to the effect, "i hope you like your houses burning down with nobody to come help"... :s0077:

Well, the ploy becomes a scare tactic when our elected officials don't get the amount of tax revenue they want and tell us they're going to cut the funding of those that protect us (LEO). Problem is most of us know LEO don't protect us from anything (but rather help bring suspects to a court of law afterwards).

I have no problem with your article and don't doubt the facts you present but tire of the typical cause/effect aforementioned. I remember when they cut the car licensing from over 300 per year down to 35. Some fire chief was interviewed and asked what he thought of it and said something to the effect, "i hope you like your houses burning down with nobody to come help"... :s0077:

Pretty much why my approach — perhaps a bit tongue-in-cheek — quoted Derns "Ed Galt" character. "Get a firearm!"

Nothing scares the lib Democrat voting block in King County more than the thought of legally-armed citizens taking care of themselves. heck, it might even scare the council into finding $3 million extra for the sheriff's department.

Fewer cops doesn't frighten this bunch nearly as much as having the public learn they can get along without 'em.
;)

Oh, where to begin?

First..Penquin.. there was not a single thing in that piece that isn't factual. Democrats run the majority on the King County Council, they set up the budget, there is an allegation floating around now that the council chair has it in for the cops because their union didn't endorse her..and the police guild rejected the idea of putting off their 5&#37; pay increase.

You believe what you want. A lot of people believe that underfunding the sheriff's department was a ploy by the Democrat majority to entice King County voters to approve a 0.2 percent sales tax increase to pay for police services. It was just another attempt to bump up taxes and the voters were having none of it.

I don't need to divide R and D people. They do that quite well on their own and I just write about it.

Second...Martini...I don't know where you lived in unincorporated King County but nowadays a huge number of people don't have firearms, but they do have a piece of their personal Utopia, or so they think.

It's not a scare tactic at all to explain what's happening and why, and to offer fair comment on it.
Really? Who made this allegation about having it out for police? Could you cite your source? Can you point to any minutes or documents where this allegation is made?

Can you name the "democratic programs" that would have been cut if the pay increase had been given or are you just speculating? And what constitutes a "democratic program?" Are road projects or school funding "democratic?" If a program has support from both republicans and dems does it count?

A ploy to "entice" voters to improve a tax increase by dems? Can you once again cite your source on this information please? Surely republican members have spoken out publicly of this if you are reporting it.

Can you name the "democratic programs" that would have been cut if the pay increase had been given or are you just speculating? And what constitutes a "democratic program?" Are road projects or school funding "democratic?" If a program has support from both republicans and dems does it count?

I said Democrats control the county council. They set the budget priorities.

If you can't handle that, too bad.

From the Seattle Times:
<broken link removed>

From Sound Politics.com:
Sound Politics: Sheriff Deputies First

The tapeworms cut police when they don't get all the money they want because they believe it will scare the sheeple into acquiescence. We live in a rural area where the sheriff's troops couldn't arrive in time to save us unless they just happened to be close when things went in the toilet. Not bad-mouthing the county cops, but they don't have magic pixie dust to instantly deliver them to my door.

OTOH, my blue friends (no, not Smurfs) are right there and I am competent in their use. So is my wife. Having to shoot a goblin would be real ugly but not as ugly as not being able to when our lives are at stake.

The protection of the law kicks in when you have already been victimized, so some % of reduction in police coverage probably doesn't make much difference in terms of real world personal security. There aren't too many goblins who could catch a shot string of #000 out of the air, so the old fusil de boudoir would likely be effective help and would be there at the right time whether the kleptocrats have all the $ they want or not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top