JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Leave it stock. Make sure the cosmoline is completely cleaned and removed from the bolt and firing pin. This will require
disassembling the bolt. Old dried out cosmoline in the bolt can make it go full auto.:eek::eek::s0130: SKS uses a
specific sight adjustment tool. Impact will change from fixed to folded bayonet:oops:. Go out and shoot and enjoy it.
Not a bench rest rifle don't get hung up on group size. Fun to shoot and capable of minute of beer can. :):D:p
1592390722049.png

Country of manufacturing makes a good bit of difference as well. I strongly prefer a Russian Sks to a Chinese. Yugo's are cool too but usually heavier.

Paratrooper models (short barrel) look cool but are slightly less accurate. These are Chinese as well. Not that they are all bad. Just some Chinese models used janky assembly methods.

On a positive note for the Chinese is they produced an SKS-M and a SKS-D. These two models use factory AK 47 mags that dont have the funny duck bill.

Anyways just food for thought

Leave it in the original stock. I recommend Chinese over Yugo due to the weight and the chrome bore, which is easier to clean and has increased wear resistance. I haven't seen any real accuracy difference in threaded vs. pinned barrels on the Chinese rifles, but the threaded are more collectible FWIW. The pinned are later production and probably in better shape cosmetically.. If you can keep the price under $340-$360 out the door I'd call that a win.

The Russian SKS are beautiful but way too expensive.

There is a guy out of Texas that goes by Kivaari and he does trigger work on the SKS for $60-ish? Turnaround is usually 30 days. Highly worth it.

I've owned several SKS, including some that were covered in cosmoline. They are easy to work on, cheap to feed, and a lot of fun. The front post is too thick for precision shooting. I would not mount optics on it.. there is a special place in hell for people that drill the receivers of old rifles. Still, you should be able to hit the 2-300 yards with irons no problem.

I recommend Yooper John's SKS website as a wealth of information.

Good luck!

Last Edited:
Leave it in the original stock. I recommend Chinese over Yugo due to the weight and the chrome bore, which is easier to clean and has increased wear resistance. I haven't seen any real accuracy difference in threaded vs. pinned barrels on the Chinese rifles, but the threaded are more collectible FWIW. The pinned are later production and probably in better shape cosmetically.. If you can keep the price under $340-$360 out the door I'd call that a win.

The Russian SKS are beautiful but way too expensive.

There is a guy out of Texas that goes by Kivaari and he does trigger work on the SKS for $60-ish? Turnaround is usually 30 days. Highly worth it.

I've owned several SKS, including some that were covered in cosmoline. They are easy to work on, cheap to feed, and a lot of fun. The front post is too thick for precision shooting. I would not mount optics on it.. there is a special place in hell for people that drill the receivers of old rifles. Still, you should be able to hit the 2-300 yards with irons no problem.

I recommend Yooper John's SKS website as a wealth of information.

Good luck!
Chinese Sks $350-400 todays market???
Russian Sks $450-550 todays market???

For the extra 50-200 you get a real Russian Made SKS with usually a BEAUTIFUL wood stock. These will only gain value over time. Also they are worlds better made vs a Chinese. Plus they use better steel.

IMHO the value of a Russian is the fact that its where the rifle was designed. I had a Tula 1954r that i regret selling to this day. Such a nice gun

525 for all numbers matching perfect condition with everything....

Well currently stock is harder to find....but 3 months ago i could have found you one for that price all day. Missing sling bayonet and cleaning kit. And a refurb with some scars

here!

For 900!

still they would be 700 a year ago
Chinese 350-400 a year ago
Russian 450-550 a year ago

Add $200 to those numbers now with the panic buying.

Get a Murphy's firing pin with spring to replace the original free float pin that can fire off a round if dropped.

Other then that don't change anything from stock and it will always go bang.

If you want 30 round mags buy an AK.

Nobody asked why are you getting a SKS? Cheap shooter, historical value, something else? Have you shot one? Have you shot a few different versions? Yugos may be heavier than others, but does it matter to you if all you do is sit on a bench at the range ? There are people that see Yugos as having higher build quality than Chinese ones.

Finally, that Armslist link is most likely a scam, so don't get your hopes up. Unregistered user and bad grammar. It may be the best SKS sold by a Nigerian prince out there, but proceed with caution.

Yea, as expected. Armslist. Do an image search on Google. That picture is from a Gunbroker listing from March. Sold for $745. Item 859410446.

My plans for the SKS are a truck, camping, plinking fun gun I plan on putting a good peep sight that goes on the rear of the dust cover and a better front post sight that's it

Nobody asked why are you getting a SKS? Cheap shooter, historical value, something else? Have you shot one? Have you shot a few different versions? Yugos may be heavier than others, but does it matter to you if all you do is sit on a bench at the range ? There are people that see Yugos as having higher build quality than Chinese ones.

Finally, that Armslist link is most likely a scam, so don't get your hopes up. Unregistered user and bad grammar. It may be the best SKS sold by a Nigerian prince out there, but proceed with caution.
Yes i would not trust the add either. I just linked it for a quick price reference is all

My plans for the SKS are a truck, camping, plinking fun gun I plan on putting a good peep sight that goes on the rear of the dust cover and a better front post sight that's it

Do you own an AR15 pistol?

Only asking because for about 550-600 out the door you can have an AR15. For about 650 it can be chambered in 7.62x39. Also fun building it.

They make a great truck gun imho. They store super small, have all the range of an sks, plus the ability to upgrade and become much more accurate.
Edit: they also work with a cwp and fit in a backpack

Also mounting anything besides iron sights on an sks is just fun to watch. Never really works that ive seen

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top