JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received my first 2 silencers and finally got out to shoot them.
A Dead Air Nomad 30 and a YHM Resonator, also 30 cal.
The Nomad was mounted on a Sig Rattler with
A 5 inch barrel and the Resonator was mounted on.an Aero pistol with a10 inch barrel. IMHO, the Resonator was the most quiet, but it was shooting through a longer barrel. Not saying Dead Air was a slouch
But the YHM, on the 10 inch barrel was noticeably quieter than the Dead Air on the 5" barrel.
Not sure how fair that comparison is but there you go.
Key learnings from first bout with silencers.
1. Bring an oven Mitt or something similarly insulated to facilitate removing the way, incredibly hot silencer.
2. Bring another, non-silenced gun to shoot while you're waiting for your silencers to cool ;)

ETA Iwas shooting Remington 220 gr subsonic ammo in both guns.

1. Bring an oven Mitt or something similarly insulated to facilitate removing the way, incredibly hot silencer.

Haha, truth. Burnt myself at least once, probably more so, but I forget. Had a silencer cover, literally, catch on fire in a past summer whilst me and mi mujer lit up the home range with an SBRed AR. :s0112:

Swap them and see if the less expensive Resonator still wins!

That would make me smile.

I think YHM is killing the market at their price point and suppression capabilities.

I'm eagerly awaiting them to bore out a Turbo to .36 and kill the (over) higher priced fully welded Omega 9 series.

Sig Rattler was louder because of the gas piston port noise maybe?

Switch the cans on the host(s) next time for a fair comparison.

I've not shot the resonator, but the Nomad is very quiet on a bolt gun compared to other cans I have shot.

Switching is problematic as the QD mounts are different.
As for why 2 30 cal suppressors...
Why not?

Switching is problematic as the QD mounts are different.
As for why 2 30 cal suppressors...
Why not?
Get this for your Dead Air.

1576020594760.jpeg

Any suppressors that I purchase that will go on a QD mount are of the same brand, i.e. Silencerco. You could use Dead Air, Rugged, or anything else but their mounts are designed for their cans. If you then put on flash hiders or brakes dedicated to those brands you can switch cans from one rifle to another (The suppressor MUST be usable for that caliber. If you don't know read the paperwork).

QD mounts are terrific to use but you MUST make sure that it is securely locked. I admit to shooting my can out 40 ft when I didn't double check! Had to do the walk of shame out to pick it up. Damaged the can and had to send it back in! As they say "We fix stupid once!" Yeah, there is that!!

Any suppressors that I purchase that will go on a QD mount are of the same brand, i.e. Silencerco. You could use Dead Air, Rugged, or anything else but their mounts are designed for their cans. If you then put on flash hiders or brakes dedicated to those brands you can switch cans from one rifle to another (The suppressor MUST be usable for that caliber. If you don't know read the paperwork).

QD mounts are terrific to use but you MUST make sure that it is securely locked. I admit to shooting my can out 40 ft when I didn't double check! Had to do the walk of shame out to pick it up. Damaged the can and had to send it back in! As they say "We fix stupid once!" Yeah, there is that!!

Dead Air Key-Mo QD adapter can be used on SilencerCo cans, makes them compatible with Dead Air muzzle devices. So there is some compatibility there.

Haven't launched my can yet but I did get a small endcap strike in my Octane 45HD I was shooting on my CZ Evo (direct thread).

How is that possible with a direct thead shooting 9mm through a .45 cal hole? 9mm end cap?

Friend was shooting it and the can had come loose. I usually check it every couple of mags. Doesn't take much deviation from the centerline of the bore even with a 45 end cap.

It was a really minor strike, SilencerCo sent me a free replacement. I probably didn't even need it but replaced it anyway so there's no impact on accuracy. Not that the Evo likes the heavies all that much anyway.

No, thankfully. That can alone is easily $500-600 in extras...

I have a Hybrid, don't really own much in extras other than the mounts...

Pretty much any "do-all" can is going to have a lot of accessories. I have multiple pistons in the same caliber because of thread differences (thanks Sig for the left hand threads!) just for my Octane.

Some of the smaller manufacturers have cheaper muzzle devices/pistons, but you have to pay to play the game.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top