JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I think I'm starting to get the Sig mystique, at least a little. As mentioned in another post, I recently traded my ORM Colt 1991A1 for my first Sig, a P220R in .45 ACP. Got it last week, but weather and other things have made a range trip a no go. Finally decided I couldn't stand it any more, and told the wife I was going out behind my shop to run a few rounds through it, mostly as a function check of a new gun. Of course, I also wanted to see how it compared to my CZ 97 BD, that also needed function testing after installing a CGW Pro Package :D. And just to round things out, a few rounds through my re-triggered PCR was also in order. So 5 rounds through each was what I decided on, I could have shot more, but the wife's tolerance of such things is very finite, and the area behind my shop IS my vegetable garden, so I don't really want to be filling it up with lead :rolleyes:.

I guess the WOW in the title was probably a bit of a spoiler, but to say the Sig surprised me would be an understatement. This thing is 25% lighter than the CZ 97, but shoots just as soft, maybe even a touch softer. Bore axis is higher, but muzzle flip is the same or less. Trigger pull is definitely heavier than the 97, but in shooting it, the difference is unnoticeable, both DA & SA. Reset is virtually identical, despite the Sig's reputation for having an objectionably long reset, and the Pro Package installed in the 97, which included a short reset kit. Oh, and both shot softer than the 9 mm PCR o_O.

Okay, I'm well aware that 5 rounds really isn't enough to get an in depth feel for a new gun, but it IS enough to get a first impression, and mine is 110% positive :D. I can't wait to get this thing to the range and really wring it out, I suspect my first impression is only going to get better. And BTW, the 97 with Pro Package is pretty awesome, too, wringing both of these out is going to be a lot of fun! Later.

Dave

Congrats
Of all the .45's I have had the P220 is the only one I have kept.

Yours may already have a Short Reset Trigger in it.
Mine is a normal trigger and I never noticed just how much it was till I got my M11-A1 with an SRT.
Along with a long reset is has quite a bit of take up when it resets.
On my M11 the reset is very short and there is no take up when it resets.

So 5 rounds through each was what I decided on, I could have shot more, but the wife's tolerance of such things is very finite, and the area behind my shop IS my vegetable garden, so I don't really want to be filling it up with lead :rolleyes:.

Dave

Sounds great that you can at least do some testing out back, would love to be able to do that again. Be real simple to set up a place to catch the lead for those quick tests. Glad you do far love the pistols too.

You have the SIGness and my sympathy.

3153_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.cdninstagram.com&ig_cache_key=MTk1NjgzMTA1NzYwNjkxNzM1Ng%3D%3D.jpg

The 220 has been a proven performer for decades now. Very reliable, very accurate, in alloy trim, not overly heavy for a full size pistol.

For those with medium-ish hands, its usually better than the double stack models (226, etc).

If you think it's light recoiling in alloy trim, try an all stainless 220ST, especially with the original Hogue-style rubber grips...quite soft indeed. And it does sound like yours has an SRT...if it does, make sure you read the instruction manual for take down...there's an extra step (decock IIRC).

If you can get your hands on one, the 9mm or .38 Super 220's are a real treat as well.

HEADS UP: Washington Legislative 2019 Alerts (meetings in Olympia Friday 2/1/19)

SB5340: Gun REGISTRATION and subsequent FORFEITURE:

Washington State Legislature

HB1374: Overturning State Preemption (every jurisdiction in the state will be able to make its own gun laws):

Washington State Legislature

Easy ways to write your legislators:

NRA-ILA | Washington: House Committee to Hear Ammunition Ban & Other Anti-Gun Bills

https://act.nraila.org/actions/WA

Write the Media (Get the word out!):

NRA-ILA | Write The Media

Don't know that I've got the Signess (yet ;)), but I'm definitely impressed with this pistol. I've owned a lot of guns over the years, I've handled a Sig a few times but never owned or shot one before, they were always out of my reach price wise, and it seemed like most of the guys I knew that had one, had it just for the name, you know, the snob factor :rolleyes:. I think I mentioned it before, I wanted this as a possible .45 ACP carry piece, much as I like my CZ 97, it's pretty heavy for carry, and concealment holsters are scarce. Lot more options with the Sig, although if I do ever carry it, I suspect it'll be fairly rare, my PCR is much more concealable size wise, although the weight is pretty close. Later.

Dave

Say what you will about Sig these days, I definitely feel they're deserving of some criticism, but they still turn out decent handguns at least. I've shot well with a P226 and P320 in 9mm.

5 shots? Are you serious, FIVE SHOTS! Screw the vegetable garden, have some fun. I have a .45 220 also. It passed the 5 round mark a long time ago. :D

Hey, it's the ol 'Function Check.' Umm, yes honey, I must 'function' check' this new pistol. If I could legally shoot on my property, I'd probably get the lady of the house a nice set of sound cancelling head phones (like Bose) and be 'function checking' a lot. Umm, yeah hon', 200 rds . ought to about do it...

Say what you will about Sig these days, I definitely feel they're deserving of some criticism, but they still turn out decent handguns at least. I've shot well with a P226 and P320 in 9mm.

While I think they've lost some of their luster from the 'Old School' German heritage, they can still put out a decent pistol, but you'll also be paying for it. Their all stainless guns, while being heavy, tend to avoid some of the issues with the anodizing the alloy framed variants do.

BOSS

5 shots? Are you serious, FIVE SHOTS! Screw the vegetable garden, have some fun. I have a .45 220 also. It passed the 5 round mark a long time ago. :D

The garden is what I tell myself, the real reason is the wife. She's very tolerant of my guns, just because they're mine, but would otherwise be quite content to never see or hear one again. So in the interests of domestic tranquility, I try NOT to abuse here tolerance. Usually not a major issue, but this time of year is tough, it's currently 26 degrees, and that's a good deal warmer than it has been. Much as I love shooting, doing it when I can't feel my hands is not my idea of a good time :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

IIRC, I have at least one SIG with a German frame and NH slide. I've also seen some used P6s/etc. and older SIGs. Yes some of them are nice, but my recent manufacture Mk 25 and a P229 of similar vintage, are some of the nicer SIGs in my collection.

My criticism of SIG is that they seem to give up to easily on some models - e.g., the 224 and the 227 because they don't sell as well as their striker fired guns and/or they have some issues (the 227 fourteen round mags) that are easily fixed. If they did a bit less bean counting and a bit more innovation (e.g., an all steel 227 in 10mm and .460 Rowland and .45 SMC, or something the size and weight of a 365 with a DA/SA trigger) and did some real custom work (e.g., the SIG Armorer), they would regain some of their top of the line reputation - IMO.

Plus they don't work out some of the kinks before they put a gun on the market (e.g., again, the 227 fourteen round mags - easily fixed with a stronger spring).

No, they make too much selling their plastic striker fired guns for half the price of their metal framed guns - especially to the military and police departments, while riding on the reputation of their metal framed guns.

I was actually a bit disappointed when I shot my first SIG; everybody had told me how much nicer they shot - 'real smooth' was one of the descriptions. Maybe I am just not as discerning in that respect. They are better than any Glock I have shot, but not twice as good - although they are usually about twice as expensive.

The DA/SA features with the decocker, the ability to carry with the hammer down, the ability to restrike the primer if the first striker doesn't fire - those are things I can appreciate. I like the ergos too (not so much my 2022 though, which is BTW, a plastic frame gun).

I don't care for the plastic grips and wish Hogue made rubber grips for all SIGs.

I like the idea that for most of the classic P-guns I can get a kit (or just a barrel) that allows me to shoot 9mm, .40 S&W and .22 LR all from the same frame. I don't like the price they charge for the kits (50-70% of the street price of the full gun) so I have mostly bought these used (I just bought a .22 kit for my 229). Now if they would just allow me to switch between .45 ACP, .460 and 10mm in a 227 sized frame.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top