JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well I took out my first set of reloaded ammo. 270 win and 30-06 springfield. I loaded 25 each of 130 and 150 grain nosler ballistic and hornady sst. I havnt had that much fun shooting in along time. also picked up a glock 23 and a xd a few days ago. so I shot 200 rounds through both guns. now I need to pick up a set of 40 dies. still a little apprehensive about loading pistol ammo. I have seen to many pictures from the posts on here of guns blowing out the wrong direction. still waiting on my 30-40 dies and I will be set for my long guns. Any advice on loading pistol ammo would be appreciated. I do alot of research befor I load. This is a great hobby it lets me shoot alot more than i ever used to be able to.

Start a notebook, write down everything.

Get a GOOD reloading manual and use it. Start at minimums and work each load up.

Work up loads each weapon likes, you will be surprised how much better you can shoot with ammo made for your gun. I did 5 round increments and found sweet spots for each.

If you can do necked cases, straight walls will be a summer breeze. Revolver casings that arent +P will last forever.

Everybody does it different, I havent found one of mine that shoots better hotter. Most do best midrange or slightly less.

Get an Alliant Factory load manual. If you can't find one write to them or ask thru e-mail. I like their powders; esp. their Power Pistol. Load pressure listed as PSI.
Hodgdon Annual [$9] is another great source.Load pressure listed as CUP.

Hodgdon has thier load data on line.
Find the max overall case lenght that each pistol likes. I went about 5 thousands longer on OAL for my second run (small batch of 100) on 40 S&W and tighten groups by over one inch.

I also shot 10 rounds of factory through each. I definatly prefere my loads. I cant wait till my 30-40 dies finaly arive. of course the shell holder was a after thaught so that got ordered a week later.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top