JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And I really don't have much to report. My scope wasn't in yet, so I robbed the scope off my old .22, and I only took one type of ammo along, the AE 90 gr. TNT load. Only put 15 rounds down range, nothing to write home about, was shooting between 1 & 1.5" at 100 yards. Not at all concerned, my reading tells me these rifles typically need a couple hundred rounds through the barrel before they settle down and start shooting right. I also don't think it likes this particular ammo, but I have 3 others still to try. The trigger is very good but a little heavy, now that I've actually shot it, I'll be seeing if I can lighten it up a bit. It looks really nice, but I'm not thrilled with the ergos of the Boyd's Classic stock, am really wishing I'd gone with another Pro Varmint instead, or one of the new Oryx chassis.

One thing I can give a mostly glowing review of is the brake I had on it, it's a Precision Armament M4-72. My initial plan was to try it with no brake, but my research kept telling me it would be on the edge of my comfort zone, I'm pretty sensitive to rifle recoil, so I ordered and installed it for the first trip out. The near total lack of recoil was stunning, more like shooting a .22 LR than a center fire rifle, and was markedly lighter than my 13# Savage .223. The only complaint is the backwash, every shot is accompanied by a blast of wind in your face. Not really objectionable, but it is distracting, although I'm sure I can get used to it. Just to see how effective the brake is, I removed if for the last couple of mags, and I was right, this is just over the edge of my comfort zone, and that was with probably the lightest recoiling ammo I have. The actual recoil isn't bad, but the recoil velocity is an issue, it's pretty sharp, which makes it feel worse than it probably is. So the brake will be staying on it, although I might try a different one to eliminate the wind in the face.

Still have a lot of work to do on this rifle, so I may set it aside for awhile, focus on my long range shooting using the Savage, and come back to this one later. Still haven't touched the inletting on the Classic, mostly because I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to keep it or get something else. So letting it sit for awhile is probably a good plan, now to see if I can actually stick to that plan :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

Congrats on the new rifle. I enjoy my Grendel in an AR-15 platform. Would be nice to get one in a bolt action. Do you have any pictures?

Just the one for now, and that's pretty much naked, no scope or brake, just rifle and stock. Looks pretty nice, but see above about my question marks on the ergonomics:

IMG_0477.JPG

Part of the fun with this build is that my shooting partner is also building a Grendel, but on the AR platform. He's using a Wilson Combat 20" barrel, same twist, so it'll be interesting to see the differences and similarities between the 2 platforms side by side. As always, more later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads