JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so some of you know that I bought my first Mosin Nagant about a week ago and plan on doing some fun stuff with it.

I picked it up on Monday. Keep in mind, I have only seen pictures of Mosins, never held one.

The interesting thing to me was that the Mosin always looked like a long skinny stick to me, but when I picked it up it transformed from a stick to a log. I have small to medium hands and my hand felt very small trying to reach the trigger with my right hand. That grip is fat! Taking the gun from carry position to firing, however, resulted in another transition.

The thing really points and balances surprisingly well. It locks right into place and just feels right on the shoulder. Seems like I could hold it on target forever.

It is packed with cosmoline, and looks to have never been fired. Made in 1942, and all the pieces match. The receiver is extremely rough on the outside, you can tell they were in a hurry when this thing was made. The bore is bright and shiny, the rifling is definately all still there, can't imagine it being any more aggressive.

The bayonette, cleaning tools, and strap are all like new.

I have quite a few ideas for this thing, but have to say I see why people like these things. Notice that the front sight is pushed to the left quite a ways, but that is probably because it was sighted in with the bayonette attached, not the way I will be shooting it.

First thoughts are stripping the cosmoline, refinishing the wood, floating the barrel, maybe installing a Timney trigger. See where it goes from there. Can't believe I waited this long to spend a hundred bucks on a fun simple gun.

I used to have a couple of these. The thing I liked about them most was the report. Just a really rich, solid sound.. turned heads at the range every time.

So do you guys recommend mineral spirits to remove the cosmolene? From what I have read it seems to do the job pretty well.

I finally got mine all the way apart the other day. For the metal I soaked it in some Castrol Super Clean and then rinse all the pieces in hot water and put them in the over on a foil covered cookie sheet for about 20 minutes on 250, just to make sure they were dry. The barreled action I used brake cleaner. I know it's harsh, but it worked fantastic. I sprayed some on a rag and then just wiped down the entire gun. After I was done everything got a good drying and coat of gun oil.

The stock I haven't done anything to yet except wipe down to try and remove the surface cosmolene. I've seen people get great results from using a clothing steamer or putting it in the over over a cookie sheet on a low setting. I haven't decided what method I am going to use and am not going to do anything until I am ready to strip the stock completely and refinish it. With the weather we've been having lately, lows in the mid 30's and highs barely reaching 50, now is not the time to lay down finish in the garage.

I did install my new Timney Trigger in it last week and can't wait to get back out and shoot it. I don't know what all the chiropractor comments are about, the gun was a joy to shoot and the kick was mild by my standards. I usually shoot a .30-06 with a nice Pachymer decelerator pad on it, and the Mosin was easier on my shoulder then that. I haven't shot any surplus ammunition out of it, just some Winchester and S&B.

Last Edited:
Heat helps with removing cosmoline. Leave it in the sun on the dash inside a car and keep wiping it down. I have also used an old clothes iron with a layer or two cloth to heat the wood with.

Heat helps with removing cosmoline. Leave it in the sun on the dash inside a car and keep wiping it down. I have also used an old clothes iron with a layer or two cloth to heat the wood with.

I don't think they've made a car with a dash wide enough for this thing since 1969, but I will try to use some heat. Thanks.

I have rebuilt/refinished several Mosin's. Cheap cans of spray brake cleaner woks well to clean cosmo off all the metal parts, then soak in mineral spirits. On the furniture, mineral spirits will strip off the crappy shellac but the only way to get cosmo out of the wood is heat. Remember, these guns have been sitting packed in the crap for over 50 years and the stuff leaches into the grain. One good method is to wrap the wood in paper towels or newspaper, then seal in a big, black plastic garbage bag and leave in the sun for a couple of days. I have a couple that still leach out cosmo from the foreend and handguard after shooting a few rounds from the barrel heat. I always keep a rag handy in my range bag and just wipe the stuff off. It doesn't hurt anything, just messy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top