JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like I'm going to shoot my first IDPA match on the 6th. Have a couple of questions and I didn't find a contact online for this shoot. Anyone here part of Tri-county idpa shooters?

My 13 year old son who is a good and responsible shooter would love to participate. Is that an option?
<broken link removed>

As for the thread, give it a few hours. There are guys on here that are very involved with shooting sports, they'll give you all the info you need.

I just thought the grammatical (and probably predictive text) error was too funny to pass up. :)

Hope you find the info you're looking for!

I'm sorry you didn't get a response right away. I don't shoot IDPA but shoot USPSA next door in Dundee. We have shooters as young or younger as your son. The protocol in USPSA is that new shooters, young and old, take an orientation class and go through a live-fire safety drill. You'd be best served by following the above suggestion and contact the match director to see what they require.

Good luck! Be warned, competitive shooting is addictive.

@Oregon Rob --

As for your other questions, please post them so others can benefit.

However, you can PM me if you prefer.

I plan on being at the match - red hat, red Hawaiian shirt (unless it is raining then maroon rain jacket), white 7 gal bucket w/red bucket lid.

Thanks much. I did email Tri-County and will wait to hear back from them regarding my son. I was invited by a friend of the family who I think is a newer competitor. Obviously there's lots of stuff online including YouTube for the newbie. I'm just planning on keeping it simple and not worrying about looking good or score at this point. We'll be using the Glock 19 as that's all I have other than an M&P .22 and LCP. I have decent holsters, mags and mag pouches so just going to focus on enjoying it for now.

Oh and I took Defensive Handgun #1 at OFA a couple weeks ago and it looks like a lot of what I was taught there will come into play as far as rules about keeping muzzle down range, not sweeping and draw technique …. Are the same or at least very similar.

Thanks much. I did email Tri-County and will wait to hear back from them regarding my son. I was invited by a friend of the family who I think is a newer competitor. Obviously there's lots of stuff online including YouTube for the newbie. I'm just planning on keeping it simple and not worrying about looking good or score at this point. We'll be using the Glock 19 as that's all I have other than an M&P .22 and LCP. I have decent holsters, mags and mag pouches so just going to focus on enjoying it for now.

Oh and I took Defensive Handgun #1 at OFA a couple weeks ago and it looks like a lot of what I was taught there will come into play as far as rules about keeping muzzle down range, not sweeping and draw technique …. Are the same or at least very similar.

You have the right attitude. My goal for my first half-dozen matches was to not DQ. Harder than it sounds. If I might be so bold and suggest you concentrate on two major factors that seem to trip up new shooters: muzzle direction awareness and moving the finger out of the trigger guard when doing anything but engaging a target. I think the former is particularly important at Tri-county where any muzzle above the berm is a DQ. Again, I don't shoot there so that is second hand information. RicInOr could provide better details on what to expect.

There is a special match this Sunday the 29th if you don't have other plans for the holiday weekend....
I have seen shooters as young as 7 at the speed steel matches at TCGC but haven't seen any youngsters at IDPA. I would think 13 would be old enough, but definitely check with Shaun first.
There is a orientation lecture you have to attend before you shoot your first match.

You have the right attitude. My goal for my first half-dozen matches was to not DQ. Harder than it sounds. If I might be so bold and suggest you concentrate on two major factors that seem to trip up new shooters: muzzle direction awareness and moving the finger out of the trigger guard when doing anything but engaging a target. I think the former is particularly important at Tri-county where any muzzle above the berm is a DQ. Again, I don't shoot there so that is second hand information. RicInOr could provide better details on what to expect.

That is correct. Excellent point.

Did you make it Oregon Rob? Temperature way too hot, but it was still a lot of fun.
Am considering the Speed Steel match at TCGC tomorrow but don't know if I want
to be out another day in such hot weather.

Did you make it Oregon Rob? Temperature way too hot, but it was still a lot of fun.
Am considering the Speed Steel match at TCGC tomorrow but don't know if I want
to be out another day in such hot weather.
At least with speed steel you can just stand there and shoot. Lol

I'm tempted to run my .22 pistol so I'm not weighed down with my 5" M&P core, holster, etc. and less movement when starting at the low ready. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top