Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First hunt in America

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by OregonJohn, Oct 17, 2009.

1. OregonJohn

OregonJohn Sutherlin, Or Bronze Life Member #1 Lifetime Supporter

We got a call from AFS student exchange in June. They had a problem. They had a exchange student from Greenland, that they were having a problem placing in a home for the upcoming school year. He was from a small village, that lived on hunting and fishing, and they wanted to make sure he was placed in a home that would be willing to take him hunting and fishing here. They were having no luck with the people who were on the list for homes. I got the feeling that the kind of people that are all into world pease, one world government, and all that kind of BS. Were the same kind of people who were into green power, animals as equals, and Obama lovers. I am not usually into the idea of having a AFS student in my home, but given the chance to show this boy a different side of America, I told my wife we could.
    Last weekend was our first chance to get out on a Blacktail hunt. A buddy of mine told me of a good place to walk into a old logging unit. The road had been blocked off about 1.5 miles from the unit. We headed out at daylight. Just as we entered the logging unit, I saw the buck below us about 40 yards. One shot from the model seven in 243 did the job. This was his first deer hunt ever, the first buck he had ever seen. Most likely it will be the only Blacktail he will ever shoot. He had been pretty down because he was missing the Caribou and Seal hunt back home. He was very happy with his deer.
    I hope to spend the rest of his time with us in the outdoors. Salmon fishing, halibut, crabbing, duck hunting, and sage rat shooting. I plan on sending him home with a new love for hunting, fishing, guns, and America. My America.

2. jdub

jdub Springfield Member

Thanks John for doing what it takes to make an impact on another young life... Great story and thats a great first buck!!!

3. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Great story, very nice pics and congratulations. You can have a big impact on that boy's life.

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Nice job representing the real America!

5. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

<<<< awsome >>>>

6. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Good deal! Good story!

7. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

Great job John!!

8. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

Great story John. But, don't fall into stereotypes of AFS'ers. We hosted a AFS student from Paraguay two years ago...and I have a fair share of firearms and like eating animals...just started hunting this year...but I do like renewable power and unions. (Unfortunately, I couldn't take him shooting because his family back home wouldn't approve it.)

Nice shot on the deer too! On my first trip out we saw a few blacktail, but they weren't bucks. We're going out during the rut and hoping for better luck!

9. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Wonderful example!! :thumbup:

10. Greenbaum

Greenbaum Vancouver, WA Member

Good times!!!

11. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Good job to you and the young man.

12. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Props to you for doing your own world peace work, that is, showing a young man that there are really cool Americans over here.

Nice buck too!

13. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Awesome!

14. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

That's Cool! Good story.