JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went on an Oregon hog hunt over the weekend with a young hunter and his posse. We hunted on private land in an undisclosed location (this means I'm not going to tell you where the spot is :D). Gar (shown with his hog) was hunting with his pre-64 model 94 Winchester in 30-30. Shooting Winchester Power Points. After a careful stalk, Gar (14 years old) put his first shot through the heart in a front quartering shot, distance 60 yards. The hog immediately bit at the impact area and spun around to see who was attacking him. He was obviously fatally wounded and was starting to wobble. Gar racked the lever and put a second round through the lung/heart/lung zone, dropping the 820 pound hog in his tracks. Gar had an experienced shooter carrying a 30-06 backing him up. This hog is Gar's first big game kill and a very impressive start to his hunting career.

In the first photo, Gar was tight up against his hog, it's a monster. In the second photo, we placed a live 30-30 round on the hogs snout for comparison.

NcuZWX.jpg
iYQECo.jpg

That's awesome! Way to go, Gar! Looking forward to seeing your next big game hunt!

My first big game kill was also a pig. I was 14 and hunted a ranch in King City CA. where I shot my first Russian Blue Boar in 1970. It was the size of a 4-H pig, not a big one like this, but real good meat.

Thanks for the report, Trialboss!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top