JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The M&P9 by Smith and Wesson deserves a look. The lowest "felt recoil" of any other pistol I've shot, low axis on the bore helps. You should really shoot a few before buying, a lot of it is how it fits your hand. I own a few in different calibers, I've never had a failure of any kind. Many agencies have switched from Glock to the M&P. Lifetime service should you need it. Plus, its made in America.

I thought Glock was made in the U.S. now? Ruger makes a 9mm that seems to be doing well for CC, I think it's the SR9 and the SR9C which is even smaller. I like Rugers in general, they usually have a good price point, they're durable and reliable, they stand behind their product and made in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure your not going to find a gun range that you can rent a gun, without bringing one. Two many tards that like to use ranges for a place to commit suicide. In my opinion, it's better than them killing others, be smart just kill yourself.

Either way the best thing to do is go to a few gun shop or gun show if you can and put some cold steel in your hand. It's the only way to get a good feel. Just remember that gun salesman are still salesman. Don't take anything they say to the bank. And if your looking for something to conceal, get a firearm smaller than you think you'll be able to conceal. I've purchased a couple handguns I thought I could conceal and use all around, but found out it wasn't very comfortable or too big to hide.

Check out <broken link removed> in Delta Park (I know, not exactly your area, but not that far up I-5). Julie, who runs the place, may be able to offer some insight from the gender perception (and may also have some good leads to friendly shops on your side of the river). She's always been pleasant when I've been in there. Last I checked, they'll rent to you if you don't have your own gun, so long as you are in there with another person. You have to buy ammo and targets through them as well, but her prices for in-range ammo are as good as any I've seen locally. So grab a friend and burn some powder! That's how I finally settled on picking up a Sig P239 myself (after trying a few of the smaller 380's and finding them difficult to control and uncomfortable to shoot). They've got a good range of different 9mm pistols to try, as well as other calibers too.

In Clark County, we've also got the English Pit (outdoor range) that does rentals if you contact them in advance to schedule (as the guns are not kept at the range). Same restrictions apply for ammo (have to buy theirs), but they've got a good selection of available firearms and were good to talk with (I haven't actually rented from them yet - after the holidays I plan to).

Best of luck!

Another to consider, if you are set on having a rail, is the Sig P229 E2 (for ergonomic series or something like that), which has the slimmer grips compared to their standard series for smaller hands. It's a DA/SA with no manual safety but rather a decocker to drop the hammer down, requiring a harder first trigger pull to fire followed by easy single-action followup shots. Not having the manual safety is one less thing to think about in a SHTF situation...

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of a rail on a CCW. If left unused, it adds weight, and the protrusions have an increased possibility of snagging. If you do end up putting a light, laser, or both on it, then you've got even more bulk and weight to deal with. Personally, I'd rather carry a small flashlight in another pocket in easy reach. With a little practice, it's easy to use in the off-hand while still supporting the pistol for good handling, and it has the added benefit that if I need just a light, I don't have to draw my weapon to use it (such as finding my car keys, or simply standing firm and letting that other guy in the parking garage know I'm not going to be an easy target). And if I really want a laser, most of the popular makes of pistol have CT grips available that don't add much to the gun (although they are not cheap!) in weight or size.

On the OTHER hand, for a home defense gun to reside in the night stand for checking out bumps in the night - I think having a flashlight mounted to the the gun is a great idea, since it's one less thing to consider grabbing when you throw on the bathrobe and peak down the hallway.

The Beretta's mentioned earlier are also DA/SA pistols, but do add the manual safety. I know the 92 and the 90-Two both have a decocker in addition to the safety, but I haven't played with the Px4 to know their controls. The 92 does start to get pretty large considering it is a double-stack magazine with full grips. The 90-two has a rail, with a cover to reduce snag if you aren't using it, and also has slimmer grips, but is not a short/compact pistol by any stretch and is also a double stack, which is often an issue for smaller hands.

Lots of things to consider. As others have said, beg, borrow, rent, and shoot. That's the only way to really know what feels good and what you'll be comfortable putting in the time to train with and actually be confident enough to use. A gun you're not comfortable to use if you need to is just as dangerous as not having one at all...or more so.

I thought Glock was made in the U.S. now? Ruger makes a 9mm that seems to be doing well for CC, I think it's the SR9 and the SR9C which is even smaller. I like Rugers in general, they usually have a good price point, they're durable and reliable, they stand behind their product and made in the U.S.
+1 for the SR9C... it fulfills many of your preferences (but not all); I carry one myself. I've got smallish hands for a dood, and the sr9c fits well without being too small to get a solid grip on. Based on your stated preferences, here's some info relevant to the SR9C:
Pros:
-9mm
-rail for a light or laser
-easy to conceal
-good size for smaller hands; fits my wife well too
-manual safety (I carry it ready to go/a round in the chamber with the safety on... I always always always practice starting with the safety on, to get the muscle-memory internalized of drawing, flipping off safety, getting sight picture, etc. ) It also has a little red wedge that pops up when there's a round in the chamber... though of course you'll always check/double and triple check to make sure it's empty when you want it to be.
-comes with 3-dot sights that you can easily swap out for night sights
-light weight, but not tooooo light
-recoil very easy to manage
-seems very well built, especially for the $
-ambidextrous safety and magazine release
-it's more accurate than I am currently capable of being
-and btw it comes with both 10 and 17 round magazines; the 17-rnd makes for a longer grip, thus less concealable, so I carry it with the 10-rnd. But having the choice is cool, and fun at the range
-easy to rack the slide (BUT see note below...)

...and Cons:
-the slide has pretty sharp serrations on it; while easy to rack, it's also easy to rip your hand up a bit if you're not careful. I tore a nice little chunk outta my finger a few days ago practicing out in the snow... nothing a little dremel-smoothing won't fix, or just me being a little more mindful of how I grip the slide while racking it :rolleyes:
-not a square trigger guard
-doesn't come with night-sights, but again an easy swap to DIY
-I don't know of any military or law enforcement agencies that use them, but I do know one law enforcement person that carries one off duty...

SO there's another one you might want to check out.

Kahr makes a few really nice 9mm's. I've had one of their .40's and if I was to CC anything but a snub it would be my first choice.
atypicalparkie had a good point about always training the way you fight. Muscle memory will serve you well if you are consistent in how you practice.

yeah hariph creek, the Kahrs are really nice for sure. I sold a Kahr CW9 and got the sr9c instead just 'cos I actually prefer the trigger pull of the sr, that's just me... BUT many many people like the Kahr trigger feel over the sr. I do think that overall, the Kahrs 'feel' like they're more solidly built, so it was just a matter of trigger pull for me. Plus the capacity of the 10 & 17rnd mags is handy for the range, etc.

Definitely nothing bad to say about the Kahrs, though I know the original poster was looking for some features they (AND the sr9c) don't have...

Jeesh I'm incapable of writing a short post, ever :s0114:

You want one? I therefore assume you do not already have one. Why, then, would you "recommend without a doubt this weapon"? Without first-hand knowledge, if not extensive experience with one, how can you justify recommending this firearm to someone seeking their first handgun? Is it because something you read in a gun magazine? Are you regurgitating something from a gun store commando or internet gossip? I personally have stopped reading gun rags, because their main focus is to sell their product and advertisement space. Gun store guys aren't much better, some (not all) have no clue what they are talking about and don't even get me started on the internet chatter. Please understand I am not trying to be a dick here, but the OP has obviously given the matter a fair amount of thought and I believe is seeking first-hand knowledge on the subject and IMO giving kudos to a product without such knowledge is a disservice to her. I am just trying to see where you are coming from. Do I have first experience with the LCR? Minimal and I was disappointed.
Haha yes I do have first hand experience with this weapon, but no I do not own one as of yet. A good friend of mine uses it as his daily carry. Him and I have put quite a few rounds downrange together. I have a few rugers and love them, and like their level of quality. Personally I have an LCP for my summer carry weapon. Would not recommend that for a first firearm though. Wheelguns are a great weapon for any new gun owner IMO, after all isn't that what she is asking for? But anyway Merry Christmas and good luck with your first gun purchase, and if you ask 20 people this question they will have 20 answers, but I think most would agree on a wheelgun being a great place to start.

I believe in wheelguns, but not in .357 magnum snubbies for "some range shooting" I have friends who like and have a Ruger in .38. I have a .357 Taurus snubbie and I might carry it wirh magnum rounds, but I'm done shooting it with magnums.

And the Lady specifically asked for a Auto.

Hi Bunny, welcome, it is awesome that you are being so thoughtful about your decision. I wish more women would carry. There would be a lot less violence against women.

Thanks, and I tend to agree. I hope to never be in a position like that, but be prepared if I am. Thanks for all of the great suggestions too. :)

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to The Gun Room!!!
There are buisness reviews here on one of the forums, they can be helpful.

Yeah, I saw that what's been said in the reviews section a few days ago when I was browsing it. I'm the kind of person who's usually willing to check places out, but it doesn't mean I'll give them my business. I don't have a problem walking away and I'm not intimidated by pushy sales people. I'm actually kind of curious to see what kind of service and advice (or lack thereof) I would receive there. Especially as a woman. So I may check them out for curiosity's sake if nothing else.

Same answer
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...ou-buy-your-wife-girlfriend-3.html#post328819

Forget the 4th gen. They are having issues with 9mm models. The 3rd gen is a proven platform. Forget the 26 too small to hold on to.

Small hands? Smaller than this?
LiveLeak.com - 9 Year Old Performs Tactical Firearm Excercise

Why do you want a manual safety? Passive safeties are superior, nothing to fumble with under stress.

What issues are they having with the 4th gen 9mm?

Haha, no my hands aren't that small. Pretty impressive for a 9 year old.

I prefer the manual safety mostly because I'm not familiar with anything else yet, and it's what I feel comfortable with. As I told someone else recently, I'm not dead set on it. And it's not necessarily a deal breaker for me, it's just what my current preferences reflect. I may change my mind once I get some more hands on experience with some other guns. I'm open to other options. Although suggesting I wouldn't be as effective with a manual safety seems a little unfair at this point.

+1 for the SR9C

Thank you SO much for listing pros/cons/specs for me and being so specific. You are awesome. :s0155:

And the Lady specifically asked for a Auto.

Yeah, I'm not in the market for a revolver atm. But I may be one of these days.

Btw, thank you to everyone who posted. You all gave me some great info and I really have a lot to consider now. :)

I provide professional training on how to select the correct handgun. It is a daunting experience sorting through other people's biases and preferences. Without experiencing true recoil, it is difficult to understand true ergonomic issues. You don't need a gun to take the training. I'm located in Clark County. <broken link removed>

You can't go wrong with a Glock, simple, reliable and they soak up recoil. Many "agencies" issue them. I've had all three sizes in .40 at one point or another. The mid-size 9mm is the model 19 and is a good all around gun. My wife had a 19, she is 4'-11" and had no problem with any of the criteria you mentioned.
All that having been said I would really recommend a Sig Sauer. They have several configurations in 9mm. They are really nice to shoot and carry.
Whatever you do, DO NOT go to The Gun Room!!!
There are buisness reviews here on one of the forums, they can be helpful.

get a glock

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads