JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The recoil/gas system is designed with the parts having a certain weight etc. You mess with one of the major parts, and you affect everything else.

Sounds like another great marketing ploy.....offer a product, convince the public they really need it and can't do without it, or "This will solve all your AR problems etc.", then the company goes for the monetary kill. :confused:

Hi Wichaka,

You know, the thing I'm concerned about is the difference in hardness between the TiN coating (which has a Rockwell around 80) and the original barrel locking lugs which are probably in the mid-50's. I guess we answered that question, huh? :)

I think I'll stick with an OEM Colt assembly and call 'er good. Thanks.

There's a reason why knowledgeable folks grab Colt AR parts when they see them.

They are not batch tested, every part get tested and must pass strict Military guidelines, even the parts that go in their civilian AR models.

If you look at some of the most solid firearms designs around, the 1911, Mauser etc., you won't find a lot of actual design improvement since they were first introduced...that there is a very good clue as to their quality design from the start.

There were some improvements to the AR shortly after it was introduced...but not much has been changed since.

I suppose at this point we won't get a lot of the DPMS TiN bolt owners joining into this thread...

I've got one and I LOVE IT!! Everything wipes off in one pass with a dry cloth, no matter how dirty or caked on it is! I got it with my DPMS upper for an additional $40 extra so I couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I didn't to be honest.

Teasing is normal when folks see it but it works 100% and I hardly clean my AR other than a little wipe here and some CLP or RemOil there.

Hate all you want but I LOVE MINE! :D

BTW, it's TiN coated, not made from Titanium so the weight argument is not a valid one.

You could always hide it with your brass catcher. :s0131:

With guns and cameras I'm really not looking for what impresses other people so much, mostly interested in the utility and quality of the gear- Is the item going to provide good results, with less hassle, and last a long time so the price makes it worthwhile?

Does the TiN BCA wear at a different rate than the barrel extension and surrounding surfaces? Seems like it would have to.
This aspect has kept me looking at the stock Colt OEM assembly made specifically for this carbine.

The downside to the park'ed one is exactly the cleaning factor, but that's not proving to be a huge deal, I spend more time getting the bore clean and shiny than on any other aspect.

I've got one and I LOVE IT!! Everything wipes off in one pass with a dry cloth, no matter how dirty or caked on it is! I got it with my DPMS upper for an additional $40 extra so I couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I didn't to be honest.

Teasing is normal when folks see it but it works 100% and I hardly clean my AR other than a little wipe here and some CLP or RemOil there.

Hate all you want but I LOVE MINE! :D

BTW, it's TiN coated, not made from Titanium so the weight argument is not a valid one.

How many rounds have you had thru it?

How many rounds have you had thru it?

Good question! I probably only have about 700 of Golden Bear and 200 or so of Wolf(brass) but have only really cleaned the upper when I took it out of the box and at 200 rounds. I do periodically wipe down the BCG with some CLP since it is still technically not broken in.

Not a lot so far but it has worked without issue. If someone wants to provide ammo for me, I'll be happy to complete a torture test. In the name of science, of course. :D

I'm not into parts to impress folks, I buy what I want because I want it. Again, for $40 extra I didn't see a reason to not get it.

Buying something because you want it is NEVER a problem!! Especially if you're happy with the purchase. Please keep posting your experiences with it long term because I almost when that route when I ordered the parts for my AR but opted for the chrome assembly instead.

Have I mentioned anywhere that I REALLY hate waiting for stuff to arrive?? :eek:ffwall:

Buying something because you want it is NEVER a problem!! Especially if you're happy with the purchase. Please keep posting your experiences with it long term because I almost when that route when I ordered the parts for my AR but opted for the chrome assembly instead.

It's not that I wanted it initially but when the dealer offered it to me, knowing the little about TiN coating that I do, I opted for it.

My experience with chrome on cars has not been good and for some reason that translates to guns for me, though it probably shouldn't.

Next BCG I get will be parked and then redone with something like Norrell's Moly finish or I'll send it to Calico Coatings and have their version of the PTFE coating bonded to it. I have had GREAT luck with their coated rods, pistons and bearings in some high RPM engines I did years back and would love to have them coat out the internals on my AR's!

I will post long term wear, opinions, etc but I will warn you, I mostly shoot my Spike's .22lr upper and my M4gery pretty much sits, at least until I get all the reloading gear I need. :D

Speaking of coatings, next generation arms has a great coating. But due to the high amount of firearm orders, they aren't doing coating right now. Plus they are in oregon :D

Their coating is a ceramic type coating that is supposed to be self lubricated and has great heat dissipation.

I can do Norrell's moly resin and will start again(only played with it a bit when it was warmer) when the temp comes up a bit, or we get the heater at the shop fixed finally.

There are several companies that provide coatings that would add lubricity, corrosion inhibiting and over all durability increases for firearm parts. The one's I know of specialize in car and aircraft parts so they might not be all backed up with work. Who knows, since they're not in the gun biz, their prices might be reasonable too!!

Been ages for this thread, Any updates on how these coated bolt carriers are holding up? I need a new assembly and was looking at either chrome or TiN since I am truely a slack AASSSS in the whole cleaning process!!

Thanks,
STeven

If anyone has any thoughs on TiN or Chrome verses the basic off the shelf boltcarrier group please shout out!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top