JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Waiting on my tax return to purchase my first gun. Looking for something for in home protection mainly to store in my room. Any suggestions would be great. I'm new to the community so any advice would be great.

My first gun was a Remington 11-87 semi-auto. Although I wouldn't recommend it it for home protection due to its length (26"). I would recommend a simple handgun like a glock or possibly a pistol grip shotgun. It just all depends what you want to use it in addition to security at home and if it will be your only gun. For you money a mossberg 18" shotty and or a Glock 23 would be ideal. Good luck

While I would use a hand gun (double action revolver), a shotgun is probably the best first gun, especially if it will be your only gun. A mossberg 500 combo (with a short and long barrel) is a good choice. A handgun would be better to maneuver in a building but also takes more practice to get competent with. You really should have both.

I agree with a handgun as an "only/first" gun. Make sure it's in a service caliber you can handle, e.g. .38 Special or 9mm and above.

However, a 12 or 20 gauge pump or break action shotgun should be the first long arm. They feature a simple manual of arms, ammo was available during the latest shortage, and if you are single, a shotgun won't freak out your lady friends nearly as much as discovering your tricked out AR in the closet.:D

I say "shotgun" since you are saying "first" implying there will be a second gun or more. There is always an abundance of ammo, they're cheap and easy to operate. Go with a combo like was already mentioned, 28" + 18 1/2" and you should be covered for SHTF scenario's. I don't currently own a shotgun, because I don't find them challenging enough, they are too easy to hit a target with, which is a good thing if you are not looking for a "challenge".

Have you had any experience shooting before?
First gun doesn't always mean no experience.
I didn't get my first gun until I was 30.

But I had 12 years infantry training and experience from army cadet through regular platoon commander.

Pros and cons of Shotgun vs Handgun
Pump action Shotgun
Pros:
Stopping power
Simple
Efficient
Reliable
Cheap
Can be used for dual purpose (skeet/defense/hunting small and big game - thanks cyclesarge)
More accurate with longer ranges using rifled slugs.

Cons:
Not concealable or portable (Only really for home use - can't put it in the glovebox!)
Hard to carry a lot of ammo.

Handgun
Pros:
Concealable
Portable - including a lot of extra ammo
A wide variety of ammo available for training and defense

Cons:
Generally more expensive to buy
More complex (if Semi auto handgun)
Need to train in IA (Immediate Action) drills for stoppages etc.

So either way, get training.
Personally if I only had 1 gun it would be my Glock 19, but luckily we're not limited to 1 gun!

My first three guns in order of purchase were Glock 19, Mossberg 590 and Ruger MkIII

Other factors to consider:

Do you have kids in the house?
If so it's cheaper to lock up a handgun than a long gun as far as safes go.
Obviously there are cable locks etc.

Have any friends that shoot? It would really help to handle and fire a variety of handguns.

Do you plan to carry concealed eventually?

For about $600 you should be able to pick up a reliable 9mm handgun and enroll in a basic handgun course too. Or do the course first (they loan guns too) then decide if you want a handgun or a shotgun.

You guys are great. Thanks for all the help. I'm thinking a 18 and 26 inch conversion would be good for skeet rec uses and home defense. Any particular brands? Where should I buy it? I've browsed bi mart and big 5 but maybe I should buy privately or at a gun show. Sorry I'm totally new to this. Any help is appreciated!

I got a Remington 870 from Walmart and then got a 18" barrel off the internet.

The price I paid at Walmart plus the barrel was cheaper than getting the same 870 from a gun shop!

That way I have a target and a HD shotgun.

They also had Mossberg 500 home/feild combos for cheaper than what my setup costs. But I went with Rem, because I was told their quality was better.

Edit: for $600 bucks you would probably be able to get both a shotgun with HD and target barrels and a handgun if you really shop around! I just sold my Ruger SR9 9mm handgun for $300 bucks, I am sure you could get your shotgun setup for <$300

Yeah this one!
<broken link removed>

Stress may not be old enough for a pistol yet. But if he is lookin at that price for a shotgun I would suggest a Saiga. Nothing against pumps( i have a 500 and remington 887 myself) But it is hard to deny an AK action semi-auto mag fed with options for aftermarket parts i.e. collapsible stock and tri rail for a vetical grip and light

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top