JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Friends,

I am planning to buy my first firearm, which I plan to share with my wife to do some target practice. While I have shot some guns at my friend's ranch (Shotgun and .22LR rifles both were cheap Chinese made) my wife hasn't touched guns before. I'm also looking for some target practice range in Hillsboro who can also offer some training for both of us.

Cheers
Bhasi

Not many places to fire a gun in hillsboro unless you go on some old logging roads, a .380 would be a nice starter like a Sig p238, my wife, really likes me hk45, but it took here a couple weeks to warm up to the recoil. Also a 9mm glock would serve well, little recoil and fun to shoot.

+2 for any of the current brands of 22lr pistols. As you are sharing it with your wife, who is also a beginner, definitely go with a 22lr. As you progress in skill, try moving up to a 4" 38/357 revolver. You can learn with 38's and then when you feel comfortable you can run 357mags through it. Also revolvers are the most simplistic type of handgun in function ie. no safeties to manipulate or slides to charge. First and foremost practice firearm safety!:s0155:

If you simply want a firearm for target shooting and to get your wife into the sport, definitely .22LR. Cheapest ammo so you can shoot a lot without breaking the bank. Good caliber for first time shooters as there's less noise and recoil to deal with.
There are a lot of good reasonably priced .22LR rifle and pistols options available.

For home protection and sport (trap, skeet and hunting) I'd recommend a 12ga shotgun. Shotguns are very useful for many different purposes. Downside is a 12ga might not be the best firearm to use when trying to get your wife into shooting.

If you're thinking centerfire handgun for personal defense, target shooting and/or sport (IDPA, IPSC) I like 9mm semi-autos (I wouldn't go any smaller). Manageable recoil, least expensive centerfire ammo (practice more), common caliber (hopefully meaning better availability) and provides good performance characteristics for size (let the caliber debates begin - I really like .45ACP as well).
I like auto pistols versus revolvers, that's just me.
My wife who wasn't into guns, but is making progress:), has gone shooting with me and does great with my 9mm. Interchangeable backstraps are a nice plus.

Handle and shoot as many different models as you can before you decide - there are a lot of good choices on the market to choose from.
What one person likes another may not, don't solely rely on internet reviews/forums.
And again, know your purpose and purchase accordingly.
My two cents.

My wife is kind of an amateur and she likes our Ruger 22/45. Ruger 22 reliability and a grip angle that will make it easier to transition to future defensive handguns. A good 9mm like a GLock or Smith and Wesson MP9 would be simple to operate.

Another .22lr semi auto option is the Smith & Wesson 22a. Nice shooting, not much recoil, cheap to shoot, and pretty accurate for what it is. Can be had new for around $250-$275 and used for around $175-$200 depending on condition if you look around. I really like mine and Mom (60 plus years old) liked mine so much she bought one for herself, and she's a die hard Ruger Super Single Six person.....

I agree the the Ruger Mk 2 or 3 or the Ruger Single Six are great pistols also.

guys thanks for all the suggestions, I just placed an order for Mark III Ruger 22/45 Mark III 22LR 5?" Blued ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS $259.00 SHIPS FREE from Bud's gun shop. Tornado Tech will be my FFL.

Now I would like to get some suggestions on which Ammo to buy.
Hey Bhasi congrats! You and your Wife will love it! I think a Mark III is an awesome choice. I don't have one myself (yet :D ) but have enjoyed shooting them. In them and other .22 pistols, I've had good luck with every kind of .22 ammo I've used, but some guns just work better with certain ammo. The fun thing is that the ammo will all be really inexpensive, so you can try out a ton of different kinds & see what your gun likes best.

That being said, I'll leave it to the board members with WAAAAY more experience than I to give you advice that's more specific :s0155:

My ruger mk 1 loves the round nose american eagle. It is a bit cheaper than cci and i've found it to be just as accurate. I just got a couple bulk packs at bi mart on sale, i'm not sure if it still is.
Congratulations on a great first handgun :)

I generally only run the blue box Federal ammo in my 22's, even when I do change ammo the POI is generally the same in both rifle and pistol. My wife's guns are a Russian Makarov, Ruger LCP, Ruger 10/22 and a Savage .243. Nothing better than watching her going prone w/ her pink camo trucker hat hitting her 250yd. targets and kicking my buddies *** :)

First ask yourself, long gun or pistol?

Personaly I would never recommend any pistol until you and your wife have more experiance shooting a rifle or shotgun.
That being said I would have to recommend a 22lr rifle. There are many good ones out there. A bolt action is a good way to start.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top