JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been shooting for decades and today I experienced my first squib. The ammo is probably 20 years old with a head stamp of "A USA" I think this was made by American Quality Ammo. I used to by this in bulk, so no box. I have heard others bad mouth this stuff, but until today I hadn't had any issues. It used to be inexpensive, so I'd buy it, shoot it, and reload it. It was odd, it went bang hard enough to eject the spent case and load another round. However, what got my attention was that the following round did not fully chamber. I cleared the gun and tried to hand load a round into the chamber, but it was NFG. So I stuck my light in and I could see the round stuck in the rifling just in front of the chamber. So I came home to fully check things out. The squib came out without too much effort (pics below). I loaded a primed case, and it fired normally with a proper primer strike. So, at least no damage to my carbine, and I'm ready to go again, a little wiser.

Squib1.jpg Squib2.jpg Squib3.jpg

Glad you're okay and so is your gun. I've never had a squib, but I've always wondered with hearing protection or a suppressor, what if I miss the sound being slightly off and blow something up.

Go buy a lottery ticket, but I think you might have used up your luck for a while.

Whenever you have a stoppage like that, always stop shooting until you can verify there are no bore obstructions. Had you been able to chamber and fire another round, you would have had a twice the normal pressure situation which would have for sure been a disaster for the carbine and may have involved some physical injury as well.

Whenever you have a stoppage like that, always stop shooting until you can verify there are no bore obstructions. Had you been able to chamber and fire another round, you would have had a twice the normal pressure situation which would have for sure been a disaster for the carbine and may have involved some physical injury as well.
Boy, that sure went through my mind afterwards. If that round would have gone 1/2" further into the rifling the next round would have chambered. One of

Primer only, it must have been. Imagine the second round chambering just enough to fire but not locked. 45,000 CUP blowing a case out 6" in front of your face is not a pretty thought. It was a blessing that bullet stuck and did not damage.

I have posted elsewhere that decades ago I had a .308 case head rupture in my HK91. Bowed the sides of the receiver out and blew the remaining rounds, follower, spring and baseplate into my leg. The magazine box was pressure swaged into the reciever. I was OK, the gun not so much. Some folks do not believe in guardian angels. I do.

Kept the mag. The gun went away.

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

Last Edited:
Darn thing posted before I was done. As I was saying, that's one of the things about a semi-auto that can get you. Also with ear plugs plus a headset, you can't easily hear the difference of a soft round being fired. I guess that's what Guardian Angles are for.

Darn thing posted before I was done. As I was saying, that's one of the things about a semi-auto that can get you. Also with ear plugs plus a headset, you can't easily hear the difference of a soft round being fired. I guess that's what Guardian Angles are for.
Also look for the bullet strike downrange. With mechanical actions like a bolt gun or revolver a light charge is potentially disastrous without rodding the barrel. I have had the same thing as you happen with my shield once with factory ammo. It's not common but it does happen. Anything that doesn't seem right rod the gun. Usually an autoloader won't cycle but sometimes they do. It's worth being aware of that.

Primer only, it must have been. Imagine the second round chambering just enough to fire but not locked. 45,000 CUP blowing a case out 6" in front of your face is not a pretty thought. It was a blessing that bullet stuck and did not damage.

I have posted elsewhere that decades ago I had a .308 case head rupture in my HK91. Bowed the sides of the receiver out and blew the remaining rounds, follower, spring and baseplate into my leg. The magazine box was pressure swaged into the reciever. I was OK, the gun not so much. Some folks do not believe in guardian angels. I do.

Kept the mag. The gun went away.

View attachment 861631

View attachment 861632
Wow brother. Especially with a .308 yikes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top