JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, kind of first build. I say that because I didn't build the upper, that, I bought complete. But I did build out the complete lower.

I've been collecting the pieces to do my first build for about 2 years now and finally took the time to get it all assembled. I watched a step by step video on YouTube to walk me through the process. Overall it was a fairly simple process, one I took slowly, just to make sure I didn't mess up. I did slip up a few times along the way, but nothing serious, just back up and repeat the steps. The pivot pin was a bit tricky since I didn't have an install tool, but YT saved the day again with a method to do it without the install tool that worked just fine.

Thankfully everything fit in place just as it should. I've heard that sometimes tolerances are out of whack, but I don't think I encountered that here. Nothing had to be forced and nothing was loose. The action appears to be smooth and the trigger seems to function well.

Here is what makes up this build:

* PSA Blemished Lower (no issues with mine, I know some folks have had trouble with them)
* Defense Package LPK w/Ambi safety
* Magpul STR Stock - FDE
* Magpul MOE+ Grip - FDE
* Tom's Tactical Buffer Tube Assembly
* Alpha Shooting Sports .223 Wylde Upper with 16" fluted barrel and Keymod Rail in FDE
* Magpul PMAG in FDE

I'm hoping to get this to the range for a test fire in the next few weeks, if I think about it, I'll report back on this thread as to the operation.

I still have a few mods I'd like to make to this build, including upgrading the trigger, adding a Magpul B.A.D. lever, switching out the charging handle - possibly for a BCMGunfighter, and swapping out the trigger guard - I'd rather have something curved. I'd like to add a grip of some kind to the rail eventually as well.

For optics, I'll be mounting a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 with BDC reticle on a Burris AR-PEPR scope mount.

For a later build, I'd like to build a complete upper as well. But that will have to wait just a while. My thanks to everyone here at NWFA that gives information and encouragement to us newbie builders, I may never have attempted this without your input.

IMG_5687b.jpg IMG_5689b.jpg IMG_5693b.jpg IMG_5695a.jpg IMG_5704a.jpg

Last Edited:
Well, kind of first build. I say that because I didn't build the upper, that I bought complete. But I did build out the complete lower.

I've been collecting the pieces to do my first build for about 2 years now and finally took the time to get it all assembled. I watched a step by step video on YouTube to walk me through the process. Overall it was a fairly simple process, one I took slowly, just to make sure I didn't mess up. I did slip up a few times along the way, but nothing serious, just back up and repeat the steps. The pivot pin was a bit tricky since I didn't have an install tool, but YT saved the day again with a method to do it without the install tool that worked just fine.

Thankfully everything fit in place just as it should. I've heard that sometimes tolerances are out of whack, but I don't think I encountered that here. Nothing had to be forced and nothing was loose. The action appears to be smooth and the trigger seems to function well.

Here is what makes up this build:

* PSA Blemished Lower (no issues with mine, I know some folks have had trouble with them)
* Defense Package LPK w/Ambi safety
* Magpul STR Stock - FDE
* Magpul MOE+ Grip - FDE
* Tom's Tactical Buffer Tube Assembly
* Alpha Shooting Sports .223 Wylde Upper with Keymod Rail in FDE
* Magpul PMAG in FDE

I'm hoping to get this to the range for a test fire in the next few weeks, if I think about it, I'll report back on this thread as to the operation.

I still have a few mods I'd like to make to this build, including upgrading the trigger, adding a Magpul B.A.D. lever, switching out the charging handle - possibly for a BCMGunfighter, and swapping out the trigger guard - I'd rather have something curved. I'd like to add a grip of some kind to the rail eventually as well.

For optics, I'll be mounting a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 with BDC reticle on a Burris AR-PEPR scope mount.

For a later build, I'd like to build a complete upper as well. But that will have to wait just a while. My thanks to everyone here at NWFA that gives information and encouragement to us newbie builders, I may never have attempted this without your input.

View attachment 280384 View attachment 280385 View attachment 280386 View attachment 280387 View attachment 280388
awesome gun!! clean!!

might i recommend staying away from the magpul BAD lever and goig with the troy bad lever... i have both and without modification the magpul one fit super sloppy where as the troy one has an extra set screw to take up the slop. they are the same price.

awesome gun!! clean!!

might i recommend staying away from the magpul BAD lever and goig with the troy bad lever... i have both and without modification the magpul one fit super sloppy where as the troy one has an extra set screw to take up the slop. they are the same price.

Good to know on the lever, thanks!

It's poop, you should give it to me. :D

Do yourself a favor and consider some BUIS to back up your optics should they fail/get damaged.

I was actually in the process of packing it up to ship to you - looks like you read my mind ;)

As for the BUIS, yes, that will come in time. I like the Magpul Pro Offset BUIS - I've got a pair, but they're heading out in a trade, so I'll have to replace them again.

Also, never had any experience with the gunfighter handle. ive never heard anything bad. other than milspec ones ive only ever had AXTS raptor handles. made in salem,or. midway had a special on them for $75

it will be a while as I have to build as I go when I can afford the parts. Long term project for me, ultmately Im wanting to build a carbine in 556 and a rifle in 6.5 Grendel.

I was looking on the Alpha Shooting Sports website you got your upper from and they have really nice components also 6.5 Grendel barrels and complete uppers in face. All of the components they sell look top notch... I've bookmarked for use.

it will be a while as I have to build as I go when I can afford the parts. Long term project for me, ultmately Im wanting to build a carbine in 556 and a rifle in 6.5 Grendel.

I was looking on the Alpha Shooting Sports website you got your upper from and they have really nice components also 6.5 Grendel barrels and complete uppers in face. All of the components they sell look top notch... I've bookmarked for use.

They have good sales from time to time, so you may want to get on their mailing list. I got this one for $100 under their regular price. Every little bit helps ;) And their quality seems very good to me - though I'm no expert.

Looks really good. I like the contrasting FDE and Black.

Thanks :) I've always preferred the all black look, but the upper on sale was only available in FDE, so I decided to go that route. In the end, I like the look of the contrasting colors much more than I thought :p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top