JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
image.jpeg Completed my first build and everything went smoothly, or so I thought. Racked a couple of rounds as a small test. Examined the rounds and noticed that the primers had been hit. Obviously not enough to fire the rounds bug still scary. Any thoughts would be a huge help. Thanks.

In an AR a dented primer is normal when you chamber a round, because the firing pin free-floats inside the carrier. Most other rifles have a spring that holds the firing pin back to keep that from happening. It's worrisome if you don't know, but it's not enough to set off the round.

So it's normal? Awesome cause it's kind of a scary sight. Yeah obviously I had no idea that was normal. Had never seen that with any of my other guns, but this is also my first AR. Makes sense now! Thanks for putting me at ease Vorpalis.

If you take the bolt carrier group, push the bolt back into the carrier, like it would be when in-battery, then tip the bold end downward and you'll see the firing pin protrude. That's what's happening when you chamber a round, only with *slightly* more force.

One thing to note is that, in rare cases, a round that's been chambered before and has that slight dent, might not fire reliably. This is fine with practice ammo, but if you keep your AR loaded for defensive use or duty, once a round has been chambered and extracted without firing, relegate it to practice.

Here's a Tavor firing pin with its retaining spring:
products_FiringPinWithSpring.png

If you take the bolt carrier group, push the bolt back into the carrier, like it would be when in-battery, then tip the bold end downward and you'll see the firing pin protrude. That's what's happening when you chamber a round, only with *slightly* more force.

One thing to note is that, in rare cases, a round that's been chambered before and has that slight dent, might not fire reliably. This is fine with practice ammo, but if you keep your AR loaded for defensive use or duty, once a round has been chambered and extracted without firing, relegate it to practice.

Here's a Tavor firing pin with its retaining spring:
View attachment 303037
Great to know I will check this out when I get a chance. Thanks for the information. If you've never seen or experienced this, it was a little unnerving at first. Now that you've explained it though it makes total sense. I'll probably look into that firing pin.

You don't know what you don't know.
And judging from the fact you don't know this light primer strike is normal. You should realize there is a lot to learn. And maybe you should not go redesigning the rifle just yet. :D

As an example.
Lighter hammer springs give a nicer trigger. But may fail to ignite some ammo.

And any company selling a part like an aftermarket firing pin. Or spring kits. Or fancy guide rods. has only to sell parts. And make money.
A company selling an entire gun has the task of seeing all these parts work together. ;)

Did you know 556/223 ammo is loaded with hardened primers?
You see. They have designed both the gun and ammo to function a certain way.
And changes can cause ''self induced'' head scratching problems.

When you know and can understand how all the parts interrelate. Then have at it!
Just remember. There is a learning curve. And lessons learned may find you with a non-functioning gun. Just when you need it most. :eek:

I do realize that there is a lot to learn. It's just the reason I joined this website before starting the build, so I could get advice from guys like you Medic. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me, they probably seem so obvious to you but I'm just beginning in the AR platform. To have these forums is a huge convenience!

New to AR's as well - I would have been asking the exact same question so I'm glad someone else found it first.

Like etrain, I've never chambered a round that I didn't fire.

Anything I can do to help Joe haha. Maybe I'm weird but I chamber and don't fire all the time. Every gun in my house is chambered right now, but they never enter the pickup chambered. I just have never liked driving around with a chambered gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top