JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm building my first AR15. I don't have an assault rifle right now, so this build needs to be decent at everything. I ordered a Daniel Defense(DD) upper with a 16" 1in7 government profile CHF barrel, midlength gas system, low profile gas block, DD lite 14" free float quad rail, YHM 5C2 compensator/flash hider, and DD BCM and charging handle. I also ordered a DD stripped lower, Bill springfield LPK with 4lb trigger, Magpul MIAD grip, ACS milspec stock, Milspec buffer tube kit, Enhanced trigger guard, 3 Pmags with ranger plates, MBUS front and rear, AFG1, B.A.D lever, Ladder rail covers, Tacstrap 1/2 point sling, and slap plate, 1000 rounds of fiocchi 55 grain, and 120 rounds of hornady 75gn match. I haven't decided what to run for an optic yet. This will be primarily used for practical rifle, and also be my SHTF gun. Once I get it put together and assembled I'll get it to the range and see what it'll do. If it won't do MOA then I may swap the barrel out for a WOA 18" midlength SPR barrel, or something similar.

This is close to what I'm going for, same stock, rail, barrel length. Different pistol grip, fore grip, flash hider, buis, and color. Mine will be all black. But a good general idea.

c3a174dc.jpg

If cost is not an issue and you plan on having it for an all around SHTF gun I would look at an ACOG with the dr. Red dot that mounts to it. This gives you the versatility of having a quick access red dot for CQC as well as a nice scope for longer ranges. A cheaper alternative would also be an Eotech with the 3x flip to side magnifier. Same general principle and your you can cowitness your irons if the batteries die.

If cost is not an issue and you plan on having it for an all around SHTF gun I would look at an ACOG with the dr. Red dot that mounts to it. This gives you the versatility of having a quick access red dot for CQC as well as a nice scope for longer ranges. A cheaper alternative would also be an Eotech with the 3x flip to side magnifier. Same general principle and your you can cowitness your irons if the batteries die.

I've already gone over my budget by about $200. So I think I'll be using the irons for a while. I don't really want to spend $500+ for an optic. I am looking at an m4 clone from primary arms or maybe their 1-4 power illuminated scope with a quick release mount. Both under $200. I figure I can try either or maybe even both setups. And see what I like best. Then save up and buy a name brand optic.

then !!! when your finnished with your DD rifle...

build a RETRO !!!!

:)

i built a clone of the 603 with a no-dak lower , m16a1 upper , BCM-BCG.

silly thing is the only rifle i shoot anymore :)

then !!! when your finnished with your DD rifle...

build a RETRO !!!!

:)

i built a clone of the 603 with a no-dak lower , m16a1 upper , BCM-BCG.

silly thing is the only rifle i shoot anymore :)

That's not really my style. Besides, the next AR I build will be a light weight 14.5 with pinned fh for my girl. I also don't have a big enough collection to have more than one of the same gun. Unless I have a reason to use more than one of the same gun at the same time. Such as a carbine class with my girl. Next on the list is a G26 for her to carry.

She's finally done! I got my upper Wednesday afternoon, finished assembling my rifle and went to tri county to put a few rounds down range. It works great, nice and smooth, with no malfunctions. My only complaint is the magpul MBUS. I'll see how they perform during the day, and see if they are any better. I was shooting at a mostly black target, at night, with black sights. Maybe a dab of white paint on the top of the front post will help. Here are a couple pics.

8de642aa.jpg

e96425a7.jpg

Good looking build. Please don't ruin it by putting a $70.00 knockoff optic on it! Eotech and Aimpoints can be found at the $300 level, and less for used condition. Not to forswear any optics that aren't "big name" - I have a Lucid HD scope that has been totally rugged and I swear by it as an ACOG alternative in a more responsible budget bracket, but I don't think I've ever heard of something in the UTG/Primary Arms proprietary price range give or take a hundred dollars lasting very long. GG&G always has good package deals on optics.

Good looking build. Please don't ruin it by putting a $70.00 knockoff optic on it! Eotech and Aimpoints can be found at the $300 level, and less for used condition. Not to forswear any optics that aren't "big name" - I have a Lucid HD scope that has been totally rugged and I swear by it as an ACOG alternative in a more responsible budget bracket, but I don't think I've ever heard of something in the UTG/Primary Arms proprietary price range give or take a hundred dollars lasting very long. GG&G always has good package deals on optics.

It's funny you posted that. I've been looking at either a 1-4 power scope or an m4 clone from primary arms. I might buy both, just to see which I like better. Then sell the one I don't like and start looking for a good deal on a name brand version of what I choose. So eventually it'll have a quality optic. Right now I'm leaning toward the 1-4 power scope on a QD mount.

I get hernias when I read that something is "made in the same factory as brand name goods" to quote from their site. Aquadots, Yugos, and Pintos all came from the same factory as 'brand name goods'. A 70 dollar test drive that fails, is still 70 dollars - and that's hard experience talking, with the UTG stuff at least.

I had no problems. It worked well for me as I'm typically relegated to red dots- I'm right handed left eye dominant and it's very hard for me to pick up most scopes.